Jake Allen 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I think really the biggest reason why I'm anti-Allen at the moment (I haven't really been for the majority of this season already) is that there are VERY TALENTED GOALTENDERS available RIGHT NOW. Bob's probably happy to come here, Schneider seems to have lost his job this season. I'm pretty concerned that if we don't try to replace him NOW because it's not his fault, he's been good in the past, etc. we're going to be kicking ourselves for not trying to jump on an opportunity that's presented itself.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Honestly people can be on whatever side of the Allen debate they want to be on...

I realize this Hawks game is a bit different due to the injury, but after a win I don't care how the goals against were scored or if Allen was at fault, if we get a win with him in net at the end of the day he stopped enough pucks to get the win.

Again in this case it's different because he left early injured. But on a smaller scale no matter how bad the goals against were he stopped enough pucks to exit with a 4-3 lead.

But, if he had stayed in, would you have been confident going into the 3rd period with him in net. Keeping in mind the number of 3 periods we have gone into with the lead and yet lost

I am not confident with him going into the third. And I would bet the team isn’t either, I have been an ardent Allen backer until the last 10 games, but I just can’t defend him any more.

Too be honest, my biggest issue lately has been that it is pretty obvious that Allen is off, yet Yeo keeps putting him out. He needs to sit a few games and then get back in there. With him, due to confidence issues, just putting him back out there hurt him and the team. He doesn’t seem to have the mental edge to play through a bad spell.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Depending on how long Jake is out it might be nice to give him the ol' conditioning stint in the AHL if Husso/Johnson are carrying the load fairly well. It would give Jake the time to get ready for game action again and would prolong our look at Husso if he's playing reasonably well. That's assuming Husso is actually allowed to play a few games, which is far from a certainty given our head coach. It would give us an indication of whether he's ready to be the backup next year or not(or even 1B) too.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I think really the biggest reason why I'm anti-Allen at the moment (I haven't really been for the majority of this season already) is that there are VERY TALENTED GOALTENDERS available RIGHT NOW. Bob's probably happy to come here,

Schneider seems to have lost his job this season. I'm pretty concerned that if we don't try to replace him NOW because it's not his fault, he's been good in the past, etc. we're going to be kicking ourselves for not trying to jump on an opportunity that's presented itself.

One could argue that the opportunity cost of the allegiance to Allen over the last few years has been passing on opportunities at goalies who may have been the answer. As just one example, if Jake wasn't signed to his current deal, would we have moved on Bishop this summer?

I do believe that we have been too patient with Jake but that might well be a result of the possibility that he simply is unmoveable at this point. I don't know the latter point to be fact, but I doubt any team would take him and his contract without a major sweetener (ala Lehtera).

It is my opinion that we can't go far in the playoffs with a goaltender who is playing at this level. I also don't think we can afford to frivolously spend years off contracts of guys like Schenn and ROR. Thus, I would hope DA is at least thinking of giving Husso a showing and looking at any and all other possible options.

I could be wrong on Jake. He could re-discover a reasonable level of playing form but the fact that said level of form gets further and further into the past seems to make it more unlikely by the day. We'll see and I do wish him the best in the quest to find that form. I would love to admit that I was wrong.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Things that Chad Johnson wont do for 400.

Same thing people said about Brian Elliott and Carter Hutton. Still counting :)

The Blues have this magical ability to take a cheap backup netminder who ain't worth a damn to any other team and make them into an Elite Netminder. When we try that with a Starter, we pay dearly for it. Looking at you Miller and Lalime.

Reactions: TK 421

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Same thing people said about Brian Elliott and Carter Hutton. Still counting :)

The Blues have this magical ability to take a cheap backup netminder who ain't worth a damn to any other team and make them into an Elite Netminder. When we try that with a Starter, we pay dearly for it. Looking at you Miller and Lalime.
And ironically, Johnson stole Elliott's job for a stretch in Calgary.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
No one still believes Jake Allen is a capable #1 goalie on a Cup contending team, correct?

If they are, I have to ask "WHY???"

I get that the defense is a mess but it seems pretty obvious that Allen is as well. I get that the defense is allowing a lot of high danger chances but the numbers show Allen has been awful vs. those high danger chances. One of the worst.

Wasn't one of the talking points: "Allen just needs to face more shots" back when the defense was outstanding? Well we are asking him to step up this year and he is struggling.

He was bad last year, too, while Carter Hutton was outstanding.

I don't get it. I feel like the evidence is overwhelming at this point in his career. We need to move on.

Edit: ...we need to move on...if possible. Husso should get the first crack and then we explore the trade market closer to the deadline.

Reactions: phxblue and Spektre

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No one still believes Jake Allen is a capable #1 goalie on a Cup contending team, correct?

If they are, I have to ask "WHY???"

I get that the defense is a mess but it seems pretty obvious that Allen is as well. I get that the defense is allowing a lot of high danger chances but the numbers show Allen has been awful vs. those high danger chances. One of the worst.

Wasn't one of the talking points: "Allen just needs to face more shots" back when the defense was outstanding? Well we are asking him to step up this year and he is struggling.

He was bad last year, too, while Carter Hutton was outstanding.

I don't get it. I feel like the evidence is overwhelming at this point in his career. We need to move on.

Edit: ...we need to move on...if possible. Husso should get the first crack and then we explore the trade market closer to the deadline.
I don't get it either.

It's why I hate the constant debates about whether the goals are the fault of the defense or Allen. Even IF the defense is playing poorly, that doesn't make Allen good.

He has never been reliable. He's 28 years old, he's not a kid. I don't get why this is all of the sudden going to change. Goalies like Tim Thomas who breakout in their 30s are extremely rare. He's the exception, not the rule.

And their argument is always "he stole us the Minnesota series." Yeah well if one playoff series was all you needed to be considered a bonafide stud then the Blues would have found their goalie a long time ago. Allen is going the path of Jaroslav Halak. People thought he was the real deal after 2 playoff series and he never really did anything else after that. Been a journeyman ever since leaving the Blues. Allen actually would be fortunate to stay in the NHL as long as Halak has.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think really the biggest reason why I'm anti-Allen at the moment (I haven't really been for the majority of this season already) is that there are VERY TALENTED GOALTENDERS available RIGHT NOW. Bob's probably happy to come here, Schneider seems to have lost his job this season. I'm pretty concerned that if we don't try to replace him NOW because it's not his fault, he's been good in the past, etc. we're going to be kicking ourselves for not trying to jump on an opportunity that's presented itself.

Are you prepared for what it will cost for Bobrovsky? Also, are you okay with eating the extra money from Schneider to Allen, especially given Schneider’s performance the past couple years? Now also go back and think about the last time we traded for a reaaaally good goalie.

Cdnblue

Jan 19, 2018
Schneider, Mason, Lehner are all one step forward, two step back solutions. I try to keep believing in Allen, but it’s getting more difficult. It would just be so amazing for the Blues if he could just turn things around and close the door, but how much more time do you give him?? Not only does he suffer from confidence issues, but rather than accept and learn from personal mistakes, he points a finger at a teammate and that’s just unacceptable. He plays great and then forgets the fundamentals of goaltending, like coming out of the crease and challenge, cut off angles and not give up so many awful rebounds. At times he makes some amazing high light reel saves and then lets the odd weak one squeak through and then it’s like he’s done and the next game will be a fresh start. It’s Groundhog Day. But it is what it is, he’s our guy right now and as difficult as it is, we just have to hope that he finds his game soon before the whole team deflates.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How many concussion Allen have in his career? Last season 29th of December 2017 agasinst Dallas Allen had concussion case.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

We simply can't afford Bob (6,387,097 owed for the rest of the year in salary cap) vs Allen's hit (3,741,935) with our available (1,368,333) cap space. If Columbus were to retain the required 20% for us to make the trade and be cap compliant, that still leaves us with no cap space for injury recalls. Bracketed numbers are the daily remaining hits, as per cap friendly Oct 29th.

To acquire Bob with 30% retention (allowing for injury recalls) is going to cost a mint, given Allen's perceived worth and contract.

Schneider (5,161,290) leaves us with a similar problem to a lesser extent, and will cost more given his contract still has 3 years remaining.

People aren't exactly going to be lining up to take J Bo off our hands, given his cap hit and poor recent performance. So, how do you propose we acquire either without giving up prime assets? Or do you expect Army to somehow trade Blais, a 2nd and Butler for either of your proposed products in a repeat of the ROR trade where he traded a number of lesser players for a impact player? Not to mention the extra cost of retaining salary...

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Allen 1.25M retained plus Gunnarsson is an even salary trade for Schneider. Gives NJ an affordable 1B with less term than Schneider. Blues have payroll flexibility after this year to absorb 1.25M plus Schneider's 6M.

Bobrovsky's value is in the tank right now. Maybe it will recover as the TDL approaches. Maybe the Columbus front office still values Allen as someone they had a hand in drafting. Allen may be an enigma but he would give Columbus more clarity at goalie for the next 2 seasons when they are facing Bobrovsky walking at the end of the year. Allen with retention, Bouwmeester and some futures may be of interest.

Can only speculate as a fan about moves the Blues could make.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
blues could get a goalie for allen + gunnar (or jbo) and kostin/blais and a pick

and if the team looks like it is being held back by allen, they will likely make that trade. they are all in for the next few years.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If we really believe in Husso, maybe we should rock Husso with Chad backing him up and just bench the Jake. Let's not let Sanford's effort be all in vain :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad