Jake Allen 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Haven't Allen met sport psychology?

I don't remember anybody saying Allen is drug user?

I dont judge off-ice things. Only how he performs at ice and Blues jersey. Its good and admirable he's doing his share for ill people and help them.

It doesnt make you bad human if you are average goaltender at NHL level.

Its uncertain whether Allen met with a sport's psychologist. JR guessed he did based on Allen saying he changed his off-season routine and being cagey about what they entailed. But we know how much faith you put in JR. Also seeing a sports shrink doesn't mean you have substance abuse problems or are suffering from depression. That's exactly what was speculated in the post below. It was this post, and not one of yours to which I was referring.

I agree and am a part of the minority on this board that does not believe he should shoulder the amount of the blame he is getting. There is definitely something going on in his head beyond a lack of in game focus. It could be substance abuse, depression, a correlation between the two? When you see him during an interview there is something in his eyes that is missing, a certain spark, like he's trying to hide something that he doesn't want anyone else to see.

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Its uncertain whether Allen met with a sport's psychologist. JR guessed he did based on Allen saying he changed his off-season routine and being cagey about what they entailed. But we know how much faith you put in JR. Also seeing a sports shrink doesn't mean you have substance abuse problems or are suffering from depression. That's exactly what was speculated in the post below. It was this post, and not one of yours to which I was referring.

Seeing a sports psych is about the furthest thing from being a drug user. FWIW I know when I was in college our coaches and a lot of other programs had hired a sports psych to have on hand for atheletes. It’s actually very encouraged to go to them as a lot of their work has to do with envisioning and preparation to create a comfort or scenario in which your mind is cleared to promote consistency and comfort if that makes sense.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Ia that bad?. Looks like Elliott and Hutton are doing just fine. Maybe @TruBlu and @Brian39 can wrap up this graphics? :dunno:
It's horrible,
Allen is giving up over 1 more goal per 60 minutes than a league average goalie would give up. That might not sound like much, but he's really sinking this team.

Hutton has been below average but been wholeheartedly better than Allen. Elliott has been above average.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again - give me Mr. League Average Jimmy Howard. We'd probably have 4-5 more points in the standings right now with a league average starting goalie.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
I think Halak was underrated. Though hes kind of like Allen. Tons of talent but kind of coo coo in the brain.
He had injury problems while here first, and second he was being jerked a little. People know when they're not exactly wanted and frankly, the Blues historically have been pretty flaky with goalies. The team after a few early outs after he got hurt relied on Elliott who also didn't get it done, but I believe the team blamed those outs on Halak -- as if you can do anything about injury. I think he was a little more sensitive to that, but his numbers didn't show it. I'd love to have him back.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I still have a shirt from the year that Halak and Elliott were top tandem in the league with them posing together under the arch.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think Halak was underrated. Though hes kind of like Allen. Tons of talent but kind of coo coo in the brain.
Halak sucks as a starter, he's bounced around teams since leaving the Blues and the only place he's started was the Islanders, who were bad and had goaltending issues just like us.

The thing is, Allen is now even worse than Halak.

People thought Halak would be a star after his 2010 playoffs just like people think Allen can still be a legit starting goalie because of the Minnesota series. Neither are true, because both goalies lack any consistency whatsoever and will never carry a team anywhere.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
He had injury problems while here first, and second he was being jerked a little. People know when they're not exactly wanted and frankly, the Blues historically have been pretty flaky with goalies. The team after a few early outs after he got hurt relied on Elliott who also didn't get it done, but I believe the team blamed those outs on Halak -- as if you can do anything about injury. I think he was a little more sensitive to that, but his numbers didn't show it. I'd love to have him back.
You say all this like I didn't live through it. :)

I would like to have seen his career play out here too. But hindsight is 20/20. Not saying he would have been the savior, I was just a fan and would have liked to have seen it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Allen sucks. We should move him and bring Husso up. I can't wait.

Looks like somebody needs a hug, come here boy.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TruBlu

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
He was an odd duck a bit. But he provided at least average and often better than average results. I think right now we'd jump at that level of performance in goal. I sure would have rather seen Halak in the playoffs that year instead of Ryan Miller.

Remember when Dizee used to be Allen's biggest supporter? But I don't think there is anyone left that tries to defend Allen's performance now.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
He was an odd duck a bit. But he provided at least average and often better than average results. I think right now we'd jump at that level of performance in goal. I sure would have rather seen Halak in the playoffs that year instead of Ryan Miller.

Remember when Dizee used to be Allen's biggest supporter? But I don't think there is anyone left that tries to defend Allen's performance now.
Hell, I used to be a huge Allen supporter. I don't post here as much but I stand by what I said. Allen used to be good and I personally don't blame him for the 2015 playoffs like so many do (goal scoring was SO MUCH a bigger problem).

But heck, when Halak wasn't injured he was super consistent. Like you said - average to above average. Which really, that should be all the Blues need. They aren't a team that NEEDS a superstar goalie. Though, the D needs to play like they should (on paper) for that to really be true IMO.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Why aren't we bringing Ville up? He's obviously drowning in the AHL behind bad talent. He's much better than the .890 save percentage and he's been giving up only 3.17 goals per game, much less than Allen.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Why aren't we bringing Ville up? He's obviously drowning in the AHL behind bad talent. He's much better than the .890 save percentage and he's been giving up only 3.17 goals per game, much less than Allen.

Why would we bring Husso into this mess? He'll get his opportunity at some point, hopefully after we've sorted out our coaching staff.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Why would we bring Husso into this mess? He'll get his opportunity at some point, hopefully after we've sorted out our coaching staff.
I'm being facetious. Ranksu keeps propping Husso up as the savior in the net. I've not been advocating for that either.

Reactions: TK 421
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad