Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
woah, that's huge. perhaps i overlooked this timing. maybe the whole situation isn't as bad as I thought (which wasn't THAT bad to begin with but I am not a fan of that Trouba contract)
There’s always loopholes.

When people are concerned with the cap, which team is the one they’re afraid of becoming?

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Main board is doing a best defenseman ranking. Up to 24 guys so far, throw in the guys currently in the poll and its 40. And it's a damn fact that Pionk will appear on the poll before the 8 mil Mayfield. Hell the actual Mayfield may appear first.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
It's time to forget about Trouba's contract and be thankful that we have him as his skill set would be sorely missed if subtracted from the roster, given the rest of the defense.
Honestly, that time was last year. The guy has been solid for us. He's not elite, but he's the type of player you need on your blue line that is getting harder and harder to find.

Reactions: LetsGoRangers2021

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
3-4 years ago this board was making out like this guy was so great as a Jet. He was a alternative stat darling. I thought he looked good watching (in a very small sample size) but nothing great so I did not understand. When we traded for him I was shocked he came so cheap based on how highly this board had him ranked. So now I'm wondering what happened. I'm not down on him. I just feel like he handles the puck poorly. I like that he is physical. He is just not what I expected based on this boards love of him 4 years ago.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
3-4 years ago this board was making out like this guy was so great as a Jet. He was a alternative stat darling. I thought he looked good watching (in a very small sample size) but nothing great so I did not understand. When we traded for him I was shocked he came so cheap based on how highly this board had him ranked. So now I'm wondering what happened. I'm not down on him. I just feel like he handles the puck poorly. I like that he is physical. He is just not what I expected based on this boards love of him 4 years ago.

Part of it was Trouba was a middle pairing in Wpg (eventually becoming a top pairing), and he was used here early on as a top pairing. but I think he does things well across the board, not great. Not really the elite top pairing dman we were expecting or hoping for. On PP2 here, he's been kind of bad, tbh.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Part of it was Trouba was a middle pairing in Wpg (eventually becoming a top pairing), and he was used here early on as a top pairing. but I think he does things well across the board, not great. Not really the elite top pairing dman we were expecting or hoping for. On PP2 here, he's been kind of bad, tbh.
I agree with you. I actually think he could be a #1 if he worked on and improved his puck handling. He may hold his stick too tight. I'm not down on him. Just do not think he is nearly as good as this board acted like when he was a Jet.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Trouba had #1 potential when we traded for him because he was coming off of a 50 point season, in addition to being a physical force on the back line. Problem here is he will not get the chance on the power play because Fox and probably Lundvist are better offensively. He has a good shot but is not that accurate and his puck handling and hockey sense are pretty good but certainly not Fox, or ADA for that matter, level. So optimizing Trouba on the Rangers likely means he will never justify his contract but is still a solid two way physical RHD. There aren't that many of them in the league.

Reactions: eco's bones

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Trouba had #1 potential when we traded for him because he was coming off of a 50 point season, in addition to being a physical force on the back line. Problem here is he will not get the chance on the power play because Fox and probably Lundvist are better offensively. He has a good shot but is not that accurate and his puck handling and hockey sense are pretty good but certainly not Fox, or ADA for that matter, level. So optimizing Trouba on the Rangers likely means he will never justify his contract but is still a solid two way physical RHD. There aren't that many of them in the league.
Yea but that means he should really focus on his defense and physicality, and I’m not seeing much improvement there. From the beginning, Trouba was a square peg that we tried to fit into a round hole. I just wish he had one more element to his game. Because as of right now, he’s just fine. Nothing more.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Not gonna get into a back and forth here, so y'all can freely 'correct' me, but want to add a dissenting opinion
Trouba is part of this team's essential core. On merit.
His hard minutes in '19-20 made ADA and Fox's breakout seasons possible.
Look no further than how the team's play sagged while he was out late last.
The new guys will take off his plate some of need for him to be the assertive physical presence.
The coaching staff will appreciate and leverage him lots.
I'd rather he get the C, than Zib, as I don't want Zib's arc undermined, as the C may have done to McD.
He's just about everything we hope Schneider becomes.

I also think we haven't seen his best yet in NYR colors
The first season he was adapting to playing in New York, for many players, even very good ones, there is a transition
Last season, Covid made the entire season unconventional.

I am glad he is here.
And when we have post-season games again, even moreso

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I understand your points but I will say 2 things.

1. I feel the puck bounces off his stick too frequently. That has been his major issue in my eyes.

2. Nothing says he can not be an offensive Dman on a lower pairing. He does not have to do it only on the PP. If he shows offensive production 5 on 5 his PP time may increase.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
If Trouba were getting top PP minutes since he got here, I don't think we'd be complaining so much about his contract. Last season he played well but couldn't buy points. I think he'll settle in around 30-40 points and good defense for the remainder of his time here. 8M was always too much, and just because Nurse has a worse contract doesn't change that fact IMO. But he's not grossly overpaid, and in the end, we really needed him badly before Fox became--to the surprise of everyone--the literal best right handed defensemen in the NHL.

I wasn't a fan of his in Winnipeg really, but I went to one game live and sat real close to the glass here in Chicago, and I have to say that changed my whole outlook on him. He was outstanding and a really imposing presence from his own blueline in. Since then, I've appreciated him a lot more.

Reactions: egelband

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Not gonna get into a back and forth here, so y'all can freely 'correct' me, but want to add a dissenting opinion
Trouba is part of this team's essential core. On merit.
His hard minutes in '19-20 made ADA and Fox's breakout seasons possible.
Look no further than how the team's play sagged while he was out late last.
The new guys will take off his plate some of need for him to be the assertive physical presence.
The coaching staff will appreciate and leverage him lots.
I'd rather he get the C, than Zib, as I don't want Zib's arc undermined, as the C may have done to McD.
He's just about everything we hope Schneider becomes.

I also think we haven't seen his best yet in NYR colors
The first season he was adapting to playing in New York, for many players, even very good ones, there is a transition
Last season, Covid made the entire season unconventional.

I am glad he is here.
And when we have post-season games again, even moreso
Since joining the Rangers, our record is better and our GA is significantly lower when Trouba is out of the lineup.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I understand your points but I will say 2 things.

1. I feel the puck bounces off his stick too frequently. That has been his major issue in my eyes.

2. Nothing says he can not be an offensive Dman on a lower pairing. He does not have to do it only on the PP. If he shows offensive production 5 on 5 his PP time may increase.
I don’t even want Trouba worrying about offense, to be honest. He should be clogging the neutral zone, punishing opponents in front of our goalie, and getting the puck ASAP to our puck carriers. And to be fair, I think he does that. So I’m very happy with him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Trouba lets Fox be Fox, i don't like his salary but without Trouba Fox is over his head when he has to play against bigger players and that's why Trouba is here. I love Fox, but i don't think he wins the Norris without Trouba picking up the heavy mins. Now, if anyone wants to debate whether we should pay Trouba 8 mill to do that or Scheider league minimum next year im all ears.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad