Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Will be furious if he gets the 'C'
I don't know, I generally assume whoever is awarded the C is at least respected by his teammates, at minimum. I've disagreed with some C choices (Leetch, McDonagh for example) but if the players are behind it I don't really see any reason to get upset. Everything I've seen, read, and heard, he seems to be a popular player in the locker room and considered a leader on the team. I know not everyone is a fan of him as a player, but the C isn't just supposed to be your best player.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Darnell Nurse came in at #19 on the main board best dman rankings. For the record. Pelech just came in at 25 and Muzzin has entered the poll. Any day now.....

Reactions: EdJovanovski

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Most of the "evaluation" from the main board is just crappy, groupthink-tainted slop produced by internet posters who often don't even have a passing familiarity with the teams and the players they're assessing. Doesn't mean it's always wrong, but I don't know why anyone would point to something from there as evidence that supports or discredits a particular opinion. I mean really, the polls now are just people who only know opposing teams and players from when they play their favorite team, looking at charts posted on Twitter and arguing for or against things accordingly. It's a ridiculous exercise, at this point.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
It's unbelieeeevable (Michael Kay voice) to me that Trouba gets more credit on here for Fox's rise than Lindgren, Bruce, and Mel.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Most of the "evaluation" from the main board is just crappy, groupthink-tainted slop produced by internet posters who often don't even have a passing familiarity with the teams and the players they're assessing. Doesn't mean it's always wrong, but I don't know why anyone would point to something from there as evidence that supports or discredits a particular opinion. I mean really, the polls now are just people who only know opposing teams and players from when they play their favorite team, looking at charts posted on Twitter and arguing for or against things accordingly. It's a ridiculous exercise, at this point.
I had someone on the mains tell me Delaware is part of the South like an hour ago. :laugh:

On the other hand, they voted Fox #3.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The bolded should be in the board FAQ

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don’t even want Trouba worrying about offense, to be honest. He should be clogging the neutral zone, punishing opponents in front of our goalie, and getting the puck ASAP to our puck carriers. And to be fair, I think he does that. So I’m very happy with him.
I'd be happy with that as well but I do think the puck bounces off his stick too easily in those defensive and neutral zones. I do not care about his offense but I do hope he works on cradling the puck more for next season.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
And there it is Pionk (followed by Burns) get added to the poll. Klingberg and McDonagh get voted as 26 and 27.

Any day now...

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Main boards are a joke. Ballot boxes were stuffed to get Trouba on the poll. Have some integrity, people.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don’t care if Neal Pionk wins a goddamn Nobel Prize.
But @huerter was a very successful DODO at multiple high-majors, remember, and his success was due in large part to making decisions based on message board fan opinion. He was particularly interested in the opinions of fans that didn't even actually follow the institutions where he was serving as the DODO.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This roster needs Trouba, and guys like him, a lot right now.

He's gaffe prone, but so was Rozsival. Frankly, Staal was too a lot in his prime.

I think a team system with more defensive responsibility from the forward corps is gonna help him a lot.

Guy we should be eventually measuring Trouba against is Schneider, not Pionk. Totally different roles.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't know, I generally assume whoever is awarded the C is at least respected by his teammates, at minimum. I've disagreed with some C choices (Leetch, McDonagh for example) but if the players are behind it I don't really see any reason to get upset. Everything I've seen, read, and heard, he seems to be a popular player in the locker room and considered a leader on the team. I know not everyone is a fan of him as a player, but the C isn't just supposed to be your best player.
I think if they happen to name a captain that person is simply keeping the C warm until Lafreniere is ready.

Last edited:

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
If Trouba has the qualities to be a good captain so much the better, for him and the team. I think I suspect the anti-Trouba for captain folks are not basing their opinions on what makes a successful captain. And I doubt the fan discourse in general is worth that much when it comes to who should be captain. Seems like more inside the locker room stuff.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yet, he's a genius for somehow everyday finding a new way to live in the back of your head, Tony......
Well yea he’s on my favorite team and is actively costing us 8M for another 5 seasons where we need to resign Fox, Lafreniere, Kakko, etc. Of course he should be in my head. Seems you still have a certain player living rent free in yours even though they aren’t even in this organization anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad