Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Look, I get it. You like to joan and you get cised. Who doesn't? But I'm the joan king. It is what it is. So be careful. And please respect the coaching profession. Not a big ask. Stay blessed.
Everything you post sounds like it's coming from a guy named Chad who lives in Dundalk and who suffered a TBI and thinks it's 2003. It's hilarious but not for the reasons you intend. :laugh:

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Main boards are a joke. Ballot boxes were stuffed to get Trouba on the poll. Have some integrity, people.

The main boards agree with me: "Look it's clear as day. Everyone can see it."
The main boards disagree with me: "The main boards are a joke."

5lbs5g.jpg

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Well yea he’s on my favorite team and is actively costing us 8M for another 5 seasons where we need to resign Fox, Lafreniere, Kakko, etc. Of course he should be in my head. Seems you still have a certain player living rent free in yours even though they aren’t even in this organization anymore.

Since Trouba arrived the Rangers are 70-18 with him, and 8-10 without him. Makes you think.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
3-4 years ago this board was making out like this guy was so great as a Jet. He was a alternative stat darling. I thought he looked good watching (in a very small sample size) but nothing great so I did not understand. When we traded for him I was shocked he came so cheap based on how highly this board had him ranked. So now I'm wondering what happened. I'm not down on him. I just feel like he handles the puck poorly. I like that he is physical. He is just not what I expected based on this boards love of him 4 years ago.

At the time my concern was definitely expectations. I believe the analogy I used was that Trouba was like a nicely equipped Toyota Camry. The challenge was that some fans were going to be expecting a Lexus --- which Trouba was not.

In that same vein, I also think Trouba is now in an ideal role for the Rangers, playing behind a true #1 defenseman in Fox.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Also- not gonna lie- the contracts being handed out to defensemen around the league this offseason make Trouba's contract actually look pretty damn fair.
I do remember that being a prediction people were making at the time. That in a few years time, the contract would look a lot better.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I had someone on the mains tell me Delaware is part of the South like an hour ago. :laugh:

On the other hand, they voted Fox #3.
So sad how easily misguided people disrespect the sacrifices of the 10 Regiments, 2 Calvary and two Artillery units from Delaware that fought and won against the southern separatist to preserve the Union. So sad.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
In that same vein, I also think Trouba is now in an ideal role for the Rangers, playing behind a true #1 defenseman in Fox.
This was the case already this year. Fox was the #1 of #1's. Brock Nelson didn't ask Trouba where he was listed on the depth chart before leaving him in the dust. Trouba was in articles of the worst contracts in the league in this calendar year and now he's got a fine contract because a few defensemen jumped him in AAV? Arizona didn't think OEL's contract was fine.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
At the time my concern was definitely expectations. I believe the analogy I used was that Trouba was like a nicely equipped Toyota Camry. The challenge was that some fans were going to be expecting a Lexus --- which Trouba was not.

Def agree is he’s suited best playing behind a true 1D like Fox. The best way I can describe it is Trouba is way more dependent on having a partner that can cover for his weaknesses. I knew the talk of him being a consistent 50 pt D isn’t really accurate. In Fox”s case, he will most likely be excellent no matter who he’s paired with. That’s not the case for Jake. In order for him to assume a first pair role, he needs to lean on his partner more.
Trouba and Morrissey we excellent for 65-70 games playing top pair for the jets. Their play really compliment one another’s, and the first year after the trade happened, they both didn’t look the same and it was noticeable.
Miller-Trouba, especially early in the season where miller’s endurance wasn’t an issue and the grind of the nhl season didn’t take its toll, were excellent.
Having a partner that Jake can depend on, a guy that he can dump the puck off to and skate it out of trouble is a huge compliment to his overall game.
You are def correct, Troubs doesn’t handle to puck to well, but he does have a good first pass and solid enough vision that he’s above average in that department. He also has a big booming shot from the blue line, but he a bit slow getting it off and his accuracy leaves a bit to be desired.
I think in order to get the best hockey out of him he has too try and stop doing too much offensively. The way he embraced that role last season, and the chemistry between him and Miller ( whose not a finished product by any means), made trouba was the first step in maximizing Trouba’s importance to our top 4 D. Add all that in with his size, physicality, and his ability to make the opposing team keep their head up when crossing the blue line, make him very valuable to NYR.
Trouba assuming a leadership role in a very young team is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

LyNX27

Comparing Trouba's contacts to the other worst contacts in the league is a surefire way to make him look good but it doesn't do anything about his contract in a flat cap world.

Rate his contact against his performance.

That said I do think it's inflated by about a million... but I also don't think his naysayers are giving him enough love.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Here are the final numbers on how the team performed with/without Trouba. For the purposes of these calculations, I am counting the 4/20 game against the Islanders as Did Not Play as Trouba only has 3:18 of ice time. Trouba also left the 2/16 game against the Devils early, but he had over 13 minutes of ice time, so I am counting that as Did Play.

Record:
Total: 27-23-6
With Trouba: 17-14-6
Without Trouba: 10-9-0

Points %
Total: 0.536
With Trouba: 0.541
Without Trouba: 0.526

GAA:
Total: 2.77
With Trouba: 2.62
Without Trouba: 3.05

Shots Against Average:
Total: 30/GP
With Trouba: 29/GP
Without Trouba: 32/GP

So there you have it. The team had a slightly better points percentage and shots against average with Trouba, and a significantly better GAA.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Here are the final numbers on how the team performed with/without Trouba. For the purposes of these calculations, I am counting the 4/20 game against the Islanders as Did Not Play as Trouba only has 3:18 of ice time. Trouba also left the 2/16 game against the Devils early, but he had over 13 minutes of ice time, so I am counting that as Did Play.

Record:
Total: 27-23-6
Without Trouba: 10-9-0

Points %
Total: 0.536
With Trouba: 0.541
Without Trouba: 0.526

GAA:
Total: 2.77
With Trouba: 2.62
Without Trouba: 3.05

Shots Against Average:
Total: 30/GP
With Trouba: 29/GP
Without Trouba: 32/GP

So there you have it. The team had a slightly better points percentage and shots against average with Trouba, and a significantly better GAA.
That game where Trouba played 3:18 and left shouldn't count toward either as it's a team having to unexpectedly roll with 5 defensemen. So when you remove that:

Without Trouba: 10-8-0

Points %
With Trouba: 0.54
Without Trouba: 0.56

Win %
With Trouba: 0.46

GAA would also go down substantially when you remove that 6 goals against in the game where Trouba got hurt and they rolled 5D.

So I was right, our record is worse with Trouba in the lineup; by a magnitude of 10% win differential. When you look at it in context of how we were performing at the point we lost him; it makes it even worse.

When we lost Trouba due to the broken thumb our record went:

6-2-0 with a +13 goal differential, with a GAA of 2.376

Rangers 3 Flyers 2
Rangers 4 Capitals 1
Rangers 3 Flyers 4
Rangers 6
Bruins 2
Rangers 2 Bruins 4
Rangers 3
Sabres 2
Rangers 6 Devils 1
Rangers 6 Devils 3

As soon as Trouba came back we went:

0-3-0 with a -10 goal differential

Penguins 5 Rangers 1
Penguins 4 Rangers 2
Bruins 4 Rangers 0

Games without Trouba since his current injury:

3-1-0 with a +7 goal differential, with a GAA of 2.00

Our record this season with Trouba in the lineup vs without:

Without Trouba:
9-3-0 (75% winning percentage) with a GAA of 2.25

With Trouba:
17-15-6 (45% winning percentage) with a GAA of 2.79

We have a 30% greater chance of winning & average .54 fewer goals against

Even if our record without Trouba in the lineup was on par with our record without, or just slightly worse; that would be a bad thing considering his massive contract. But for it to be worse with him in the lineup is flat out unacceptable. We're a better team with 8 million of dead cap space sitting there? Imagine if you added another 8 million caliber player what that record would be.

Edit: Trouba also got injured when we were missing a lot of other top contributors. We literally had half of our top six remaining. If you could do some sort of stat magic to account for other contributors missing I guarantee Trouba causes an even greater negative impact than he already does based on these stats.

Last edited:

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
That game where Trouba played 3:18 and left shouldn't count toward either as it's a team having to unexpectedly roll with 5 defensemen. So when you remove that:

Without Trouba: 10-8-0

Points %
With Trouba: 0.54

Win %
With Trouba: 0.46

OK, if you want to remove partial games from the calculations, then we should also remove the 2/16 game against the Devils. It's not necessarily unfair to exclude partial games. Let's say we're trying to gauge how the team performed with 6 healthy D and an opportunity to gameplan without Trouba. Here are those numbers:

With Trouba: 17-13-6
Without: 10-8-0

Both records have a 0.556 points percentage.

GAA:
With: 2.56
Without: 2.89

Shots Against:
With: 28/GP
Without: 32/GP

GAA would also go down substantially when you remove that 6 goals against in the game where Trouba got hurt and they rolled 5D.

So I was right, our record is worse with Trouba in the lineup; by a magnitude of 10% win differential. When you look at it in context of how we were performing at the point we lost him; it makes it even worse.

When we lost Trouba due to the broken thumb our record went:

6-2-0 with a +13 goal differential, with a GAA of 2.376

Rangers 3 Flyers 2
Rangers 4 Capitals 1
Rangers 3 Flyers 4
Rangers 6
Bruins 2
Rangers 2 Bruins 4
Rangers 3
Sabres 2
Rangers 6 Devils 1
Rangers 6 Devils 3

As soon as Trouba came back we went:

0-3-0 with a -10 goal differential

Penguins 5 Rangers 1
Penguins 4 Rangers 2
Bruins 4 Rangers 0

Games without Trouba since his current injury:

3-1-0 with a +7 goal differential, with a GAA of 2.00

Our record this season with Trouba in the lineup vs without:

Without Trouba:
9-3-0 (75% winning percentage) with a GAA of 2.25

With Trouba:
17-15-6 (45% winning percentage) with a GAA of 2.79

We have a 30% greater chance of winning & average .54 fewer goals against

Even if our record without Trouba in the lineup was on par with our record without, or just slightly worse; that would be a bad thing considering his massive contract. But for it to be worse with him in the lineup is flat out unacceptable. We're a better team with 8 million of dead cap space sitting there? Imagine if you added another 8 million caliber player what that record would be.

Edit: Trouba also got injured when we were missing a lot of other top contributors. We literally had half of our top six remaining. If you could do some sort of stat magic to account for other contributors missing I guarantee Trouba causes an even greater negative impact than he already does based on these stats.

I've heard this argument from you before and it's not convincing. It is cherry-picking the data. You are focusing on the mid-season injury and discounting the end-of-season injury because it supports your predetermined conclusion.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Personally, with Fox developing into what he has, I think we could do far worse than Trouba on the 2nd pair. When the Rangers were spinning their wheels toward the end of the season I think Trouba was finally starting to click as a Ranger before he got hurt.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The NHL has a 99% vaccination rate, which is pretty staggering. It is estimated that fewer than 15 players could be unvaccinated by the start of the season.

New York Rangers defenseman Jacob Trouba said he is hopeful the remaining players in the league can get vaccinated.

Trouba hasn’t been shy about his support for the vaccine. The Rangers distributed a photograph of the defenseman getting his shot in April, and he was actively promoting the vaccine to his teammates. His wife, Kelly, is a doctor in South Florida, and was still in med school working in the emergency room at the height of the pandemic, before the vaccine was available.

So just about every night, he heard from a firsthand source about the seriousness of COVID-19. And he did his best to make sure his teammates did, too.

“You hear so much stuff, and what do you believe?” Trouba said. “Who do you want to read? There is a lot of misinformation out there. My wife’s pretty up to date on it. And she gives me the lowdown on what’s true and what’s not. So I share those when I feel comfortable and confident that they are the correct facts.”

How did the NHL get such a high number of vaccinated players?

I guess Trouba's wife didnt get a job in NYC right away, for whatever reason. I know that was one of the reasons he wanted to come to NY when he was traded for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad