Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wonder if Trouba is going to force his way back into the lineup for the next game. I would prefer he just sits it out, to be honest.

ridiculous to imply that trouba wouldn't be playing if he was able to or that the rangers are would keep him out in must win games so they can field the worst blueline imaginable if he could play

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
ridiculous to imply that trouba wouldn't be playing if he was able to or that the rangers are would keep him out in must win games so they can field the worst blueline imaginable if he could play
Maybe I wasn’t clear...but I was suggesting he’s not ready to play but may try to get back into the lineup too early to deal with the Caps.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Coming off a likely concussion....i doubt it
I hope you’re right. But he has been day-to-day and practicing the last few days. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility. That’s why I was saying I hope he just skips the last few games and heals up.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I TOLD you all that the Trouba deal would look just fine once the next wave of big contracts went out to young D entering their UFA years. Do you believe me now?
Adam Pelech just got 5.75x8 and he’s better than Trouba, so how exactly is it looking better? I guess Nurse and Jones are worse contracts, but not sure I feel better about Trouba deal. Maybe after two more offseasons it will.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Adam Pelech just got 5.75x8 and he’s better than Trouba, so how exactly is it looking better? I guess Nurse and Jones are worse contracts, but not sure I feel better about Trouba deal. Maybe after two more offseasons it will.

When Trouba signed with us he was coming off a 50 point season. Pelech’s highest production is 21. They’re both defense first defensemen but Trouba’s got the better two way game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Defensively, they are similar yes. Trouba is a more complete player though.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
When Trouba signed with us he was coming off a 50 point season. Pelech’s highest production is 21. They’re both defense first defensemen but Trouba’s got the better two way game.

Defensively, they are similar yes. Trouba is a more complete player though.

Pelech is one of those guys who’s great on a cheap deal but at “full price” he might be a bit more heavily scrutinized.
Exactly..

Also, let’s not forget the effect of playing in Trotz’s system and with the Isles’ forward corps. Pelech is a very good defender, but I promise you the two players’ defensive metrics would’ve looked very different if they’d swapped teams last year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Exactly..

Also, let’s not forget the effect of playing in Trotz’s system and with the Isles’ forward corps. Pelech is a very good defender, but I promise you the two players’ defensive metrics would’ve looked very different if they’d swapped teams last year.

Pelech reminds me of Staal in his prime while Trouba is more a McDonagh type. Sure, you need those defensive defensemen, but they will never win a Norris.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Exactly..

This is exactly right. It's important to have great players, but perhaps more important to have players in the right system AT THE RIGHT TIME. Pelech is a good match with NYI, NYI is a great match for Pelech.

Trouba brings some critical ingredients to our D core with his size and skill that few players possess on D during their prime. The mismatch, at least under Quinn over the past two years, has obviously been with offense and lack of PP production. He's been very good in transition, and plays well on D, particularly against power forwards, but there's been a mix bag with some one on one defense with high end skill players. For these reasons, I'm glad we have him in our top 4 especially given his age, but no doubt he's still overpaid unless he can really be more of a shutdown defender with some offense.

Finally, Mcdonut. Love the guy but he's a great example of where do great players fit. Obviously, he is a superb fit the last two years in the TB top 4. With a less talented and not as successful NYR squad, I guarantee he would be in the Kreider conversation with a heart and soul guy we love but a difficult contract to absorb for the next 5 to 6 years, and maybe worse given his lack of offense. One thing that really changes in favor of TB the last two cup runs is his health. After the beating this guy took with us in the playoffs and his shoulder issues, I sincerely believe the shortened seasons were an immense benefit for Ryan to stay healthy. Great player, great fit, and some really good timing...

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Trouba's gonna be a really good leader for you guys this year and really committed to changing the locker room. For a team that's transitioning and still growing you'll like him a lot more this year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
1. Trouba's contract will continue to come more in line as other deals catch up with it. Not surprising and something that was discussed a couple of years ago.

2. Trouba is probably in an ideal situation to succeed this season playing behind Fox and potentially with someone like Miller. That's a positive possibility for Trouba, for the team, and for fans.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
1. Trouba's contract will continue to come more in line as other deals catch up with it. Not surprising and something that was discussed a couple of years ago.

2. Trouba is probably in an ideal situation to succeed this season playing behind Fox and potentially with someone like Miller. That's a positive possibility for Trouba, for the team, and for fans.
Don't we expect Lundkvist to surpass Trouba?

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
It's time to forget about Trouba's contract and be thankful that we have him as his skill set would be sorely missed if subtracted from the roster, given the rest of the defense.

And his contract is starting to seem less bad as the top tier dmen are all getting 9 mil+ per. RHD is the the most valued position now with the possible exception of center. And 28 year old Sean Couturier just signed an eight-year, $62 million contract extension. Pelech gave the Islanders a home town discount. Rangers never get that so why would Trouba have gone for it.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad