Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
We need Trouba, we don't have another dman who can punish players with that much size. I'm not saying he is worth his contract right now but his size is going to be important in the playoffs. I dont see him going anywhere.
So trade him & his anchor contract for an asset and sign someone like Zadorov who fills a bigger positional need, is bigger & far meaner & won’t cost half of Troubas salary. DeAngelo & Fox’s talent is much harder to replace than it would be to replace what Trouba brings

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So trade him & his anchor contract for an asset and sign someone like Zadorov who fills a bigger positional need, is bigger & far meaner & won’t cost half of Troubas salary. DeAngelo & Fox’s talent is much harder to replace than it would be to replace what Trouba brings

zadorov is horrible

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Stepan looks like a bag of milk, guy drinks every night and doesn't take care of himself. Most of us knew his career was on the down swing. McD, one of my favorite Rangers ever, would have been a Staal or Girardi situation. Pay big money and give too many years while his body most likely breaks down. Skjei helped clear us some cap space and we got a 1st.
I believe Trouba said he had trouble getting used to a new situation and is now more comfortable. His best hockey is likely ahead of him. Not sure why everyone is dying to get rid of him especially when we lack size and physicality.

I remember before the trade how every single person on this board or that hosted a podcast was obsessed with Trouba and then as soon as we get him they don't want him. Once Staal, Smith and Hank are off the books I don't think anyone is complaining about him.

I am still a big fan of a Trouba. remember for any player first time traded at any age will struggle. it his human nature.

i hope he does this on Wednesday night. so glad he wanted to come to NYC.

Reactions: Riche16

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I for one am looking forward to seeing him this “tournament”

Everyone has been through a lot obv... if he’s settled in and has a decent partner maybe he shines a bit more? I thought he was fine mostly... a few bad gaffs but let’s see.

Reactions: haveandare
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That is true. People also look at Fox and DeAngelo and forget that it was Trouba's usage that allowed them the room to take off.
Look, Trouba leaves me wanting more. Because there is so much too like. So he way not be an excellent all-around defenseman — but he's damn good one. And it might be a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I was watching the marathon of the best of 2019-2020 on MSG, there's a lot I saw and said, boy he's been good for us.

Reactions: Kaapodonna and jas

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The Jacob Trouba I saw last night vs the Islanders is the Trouba I thought we were getting and who Gorton paid $8 mill for. Other than a rejuvenated Kakko who I am so excited in seeing and which I discussed all the things I saw from him in the Kakko thread, Trouba was by far the best Ranger on the ice. Maybe besides Kakko, Trouba also needed this covid break cause he looked like a new man out there just as with Kakko.

I'll go as far as saying and yes I know it was just an "exhibition" game but it was as close to a regular season game an exhibition game could get, I don't think I can recall a better game from Trouba as a Ranger pre-covid.

Defensively he was stout, responsible and didn't let an Islander by him. He was physical which he needs to be and offensively he looked terrific as his passing and shot was spot on. He also seemed a bit quicker as well which was nice too see. Trouba was dominant out there last night and that's not something I saw very much if at all pre-covid.

I pray to the hockey gods that this is the Trouba we get come Saturday and going forward because if so, I not only like our chances to beat the Canes even more in the play in series, but a dominant Trouba would help us immeasurably too make some noise once the "real playoffs" begin and pull off an upset...that's how important Trouba is for this team. Love what I'm seeing from big Jake....he needs to keep it up and show last night was not a flukish one off thing!

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The Jacob Trouba I saw last night vs the Islanders is the Trouba I thought we were getting and who Gorton paid $8 mill for. Other than a rejuvenated Kakko who I am so excited in seeing and which I discussed all the things I saw from him in the Kakko thread, Trouba was by far the best Ranger on the ice. Maybe besides Kakko, Trouba also needed this covid break cause he looked like a new man out there just as with Kakko.

I'll go as far as saying and yes I know it was just an "exhibition" game but it was as close to a regular season game an exhibition game could get, I don't think I can recall a better game from Trouba as a Ranger pre-covid.

Defensively he was stout, responsible and didn't let an Islander by him. He was physical which he needs to be and offensively he looked terrific as his passing and shot was spot on. He also seemed a bit quicker as well which was nice too see. Trouba was dominant out there last night and that's not something I saw very much if at all pre-covid.

I pray to the hockey gods that this is the Trouba we get come Saturday and going forward because if so, I not only like our chances to beat the Canes even more in the play in series, but a dominant Trouba would help us immeasurably too make some noise once the "real playoffs" begin and pull off an upset...that's how important Trouba is for this team. Love what I'm seeing from big Jake....he needs to keep it up and show last night was not a flukish one off thing!
Did you miss him getting walked by Cal Effing Clutterbuck?
I am not a huge Trouba guy, but he is a reasonabley solid player. One that we overpaid by a couple million/season.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Trouba's speed and mobility reminds me a bit of Wade Redden when he was a ranger. It's frustrating to see when get's walked by someone like Clutterbuck. Nevertheless Trouba brings a lot more to the table than Redden did for us. Trouba's backward speed is the only flaw that really pops out to me consistently and it is frustrating because it is what allows him to get beat wide a lot of times.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Trouba and Smith have been pretty good as a pair since Skjei was traded

Honestly, them being good is one of two deciding factors to us winning any rounds.

Yeah, I thought so too.

What's the other? Our bottom six?

Personally think this all comes down to whether Shesterkin/Lundqvist play like gods.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeah, I thought so too.

What's the other? Our bottom six?

Personally think this all comes down to whether Shesterkin/Lundqvist play like gods.
yeah our bottom 6 needs to be at least NHL caliber. it can’t get its skull caved in on both ends of the ice like it had all season

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
yeah our bottom 6 needs to be at least NHL caliber. it can’t get its skull caved in on both ends of the ice like it had all season

I think that's an inevitability against Carolina. I like Chytil, but he'll be in tough to matchup well against Trocheck-Necas-Niederreiter.

I have a good feeling about the Smith-Trouba pair. Something about it makes sense to me a lot more than Skjei-Trouba. My feeling is that Trouba struggled in large part this season not because he was being asked to play this big shut-down role but that the responsibility implied his changing how he has always played. The emphasis was on his physicality and tenacity, which are real strengths, but Trouba's been an excellent puck-mover in his career; he's not quick, but he's like plenty of big d-men in that when he gets moving he can carry the puck very well through zones and can make plays on the rush—something he wasn't doing all season.

It's not that I think Smith-Trouba gives a more shutdown-pmd formula, but that both guys have similar strengths, and both have been humbled a lot this year. Rather than changing how he plays to make it work with Brady, Smith is sort of sent in there to support Trouba. I think Trouba gets to touch the puck more, gets to be the skater of the two, and especially, I think B.Smith is A LOT more willing to take a hit to make a play (even if he's not the best at making plays) than B.Skjei, and with Carolina's forecheck, that could make a huge difference for how well this pair performs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad