Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I mean, switch their teams and I think we see a different result there.
tenor.gif

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Trouba definitely needs a solid LD. Not an all star but someone who can let him play his game. We never got McDonagh a solid RD, let's not make the same mistake with Trouba and lack of a LD. Hopefully Miller becomes that guy eventually

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Trouba definitely needs a solid LD. Not an all star but someone who can let him play his game. We never got McDonagh a solid RD, let's not make the same mistake with Trouba and lack of a LD. Hopefully Miller becomes that guy eventually
I know you aren't comparing the two, but please try not to mention Trouba in the same sentence as McDonagh.....ever.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Slightly overpaid for what we get but better than you average d man. That said Brady outplayed him this series which is kind sad.
What was the support that Trouba recieved and what was the support that the other received? What to you think would have happened if they were on opposite teams?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
What did they give up? The price was pretty much a "can't say no" one.

And the contract, for what he is, is pretty much the going rate.
They gave up a good young player (that was admittedly redundant on this team) and a 1st round pick. Questionable decision for a rebuilding team regardless.

I’d personally rather have Ville Heinola, cap space, and a plan to move forward with Deangelo and Fox as the top 2 RD than Trouba, and uncertainty regarding how we can keep Deangelo/discussion about moving him to LD.

Reactions: Off Sides

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They gave up a good young player (that was admittedly redundant on this team) and a 1st round pick. Questionable decision for a rebuilding team regardless.

I’d personally rather have Ville Heinola, cap space, and a plan to move forward with Deangelo and Fox as the top 2 RD than Trouba, and uncertainty regarding how we can keep Deangelo/discussion about moving him to LD.
They have up a redundant part and returned the Jets own pick to them. For a player of Trouba's abilities and age, it was at a price that Gorton could not say no to. Most GMs would have leapt at that deal.

DeAngelo cannot handle Trouba's defensive assignments and it is debateable if Fox could over the course of an entire season. It was because of Trouba's usage, that they were both able to take such big steps forward.

I understand the cap space sentiment, but think that ultimately for a defenseman like Trouba that will be market rate. And the price was even for a rebuilding team.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
They have up a redundant part and returned the Jets own pick to them. For a player of Trouba's abilities and age, it was at a price that Gorton could not say no to. Most GMs would have leapt at that deal.

DeAngelo cannot handle Trouba's defensive assignments and it is debateable if Fox could over the course of an entire season. It was because of Trouba's usage, that they were both able to take such big steps forward.

I understand the cap space sentiment, but think that ultimately for a defenseman like Trouba that will be market rate. And the price was even for a rebuilding team.
I think we just have a philosophical disagreement here. Having a year’s worth of hindsight surely helps me, but even a year ago, it was known that RD was an organizational strength, or at least likely would be given the prospect situation. Giving up those assets and tying up that money in the right side is not ideal.

The current logjam we have there is entirely caused by the Trouba acquisition. Those assets should have been used to go after a Top 4 LD. Maybe that player wasn’t available, but I don’t buy the “offer we couldn’t refuse” angle.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think we just have a philosophical disagreement here. Having a year’s worth of hindsight surely helps me, but even a year ago, it was known that RD was an organizational strength, or at least likely would be given the prospect situation. Giving up those assets and tying up that money in the right side is not ideal.

The current logjam we have there is entirely caused by the Trouba acquisition. Those assets should have been used to go after a Top 4 LD. Maybe that player wasn’t available, but I don’t buy the “offer we couldn’t refuse” angle.
Fox, DeAngelo and Lundkvist all had about as good years as you could possibly expect. At the time you say it "looks like a really good trade", so it doesn't appear you thought those guys should have stopped the Rangers on this one without hindsight.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

I don’t think Trouba can handle those assignments either, given his analytics.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Honestly, I thought Trouba was fine this year too. I would expect a better next season too, with a more defined defensive structure, instead of whatever Ruff had going. I don't even mind the contract, I'm sure it will be a bit of a drag towards the end, but I think it was a fair rate, and again keep in mind Rangers rarely win in FA, in terms of getting value, so they ultimately could've done a lot worse.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Fox, DeAngelo and Lundkvist all had about as good years as you could possibly expect. At the time you say it "looks like a really good trade", so it doesn't appear you thought those guys should have stopped the Rangers on this one without hindsight.
This is fair enough. I clearly didn’t know as much as I thought I did about Trouba at the time. I thought he was a prototypical two way PP QB type of player. What I saw this year was a slowish, rugged guy.

You need players like that on your defense. They just can’t be the highest paid guy on your defense, or be blocking you from paying the more prototypically high paid guys when it’s time to pay them.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think Trouba can handle those assignments either, given his analytics.
He handled them just fine. Having absolutely no support next to him played a big role. Has he left you wanting a bit more? Fine, but like everything else, he needs time to adjust. He was asked to step into a role that he has not had before, with a zero sum partner next to him. I have no worries about him.

Reactions: jas

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I didn't like bringing Trouba in at that price and term when the deal happened. He is a very limited player in the sense that, IMO, he doesn't think the game very well. Yes, he is physical, but on too many occasions, it is either chasing a hit or after giving up a good scoring chance.
The thought that GM's would be lining up for the same deal that the Rangers got from the Jets is laughable. IMO, it was a deal based on the organization getting impatient. They are in a rebuild. Why not give Ryan Graves the shot? He can do most of what Trouba can, without the kings ransom.
Bottom line is that Trouba is a #2 at best, maybe a really good #3, being paid like a #1. I wouldn't expect much more from him next season. His toolkit is limited.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I didn't like bringing Trouba in at that price and term when the deal happened. He is a very limited player in the sense that, IMO, he doesn't think the game very well. Yes, he is physical, but on too many occasions, it is either chasing a hit or after giving up a good scoring chance.
The thought that GM's would be lining up for the same deal that the Rangers got from the Jets is laughable. IMO, it was a deal based on the organization getting impatient. They are in a rebuild. Why not give Ryan Graves the shot? He can do most of what Trouba can, without the kings ransom.
Bottom line is that Trouba is a #2 at best, maybe a really good #3, being paid like a #1. I wouldn't expect much more from him next season. His toolkit is limited.
He's paid like a #1 because his contract came up. It's like looking at who the highest paid QB is — it has to do with when a contract is up more than it does whether or not the player is the best QB.

People are more hung up on what Trouba isn't than what he is.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

We have a complete disagreement here. No one knew what the RD was. You had no idea about Fox. Lundqvist also, while on the rise, did not appear to be on a skyrocket trajectory. You had DeAngelo coming off a half a year's worth of production.

And even with all of that, a major reason for the emergence of Fox and DeAngelo was Trouba's presence. Their seasons turn out to be completely different had they been asked to handle Trouba's assignments.

And there still is no logjam. Until we see how Fox and DeAngelo continue to develop and how Lundqvist hopefully continues to develop, comes to NA and continues to go further, there is no log jam. And that will be a good problem to have.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
He's paid like a #1 because his contract came up. It's like looking at who the highest paid QB is — it has to do with when a contract is up more than it does whether or not the player is the best QB.

People are more hung up on what Trouba isn't than what he is.

When we gave him that contract, it was paying him as a #1 D.
So, what is he? To me, he is a physical D with a limited skillset/hockey sense. That ain't worth $8M.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
My biggest issue with his contract is that his deal has a cap hit% of roughly 10%. When your'e allocating that much money of your salary cap to a defenseman, it really should be for someone who is your top option at 5v5, PK, and on the powerplay. He may get more time on PP1 in the near future, depending on what happens with DeAngelo, but it is limiting to have someone making that much money that has restricted offensive output.

Other than a few gaffes, I thought he was our best dman in the playoffs. I hope he builds on that trend, especially since he noted his own disappointment with his regular season, and takes a step forward for next season. I'm also hoping that we can give him a better defensive partner than Hajek, Skjei, and Smith.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
They paid, more or less market, rate for him.
MORE.
As an example, look at the team the Rangers just played. They have 3, objectively, better D than Trouba, all making considerably less. Pesce and Slavin are locked up for years and Dougie, until 2022.

Just want to mention that Trouba's cap hit is only a few hundred thousand less than Sebastian Aho.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
MORE.
As an example, look at the team the Rangers just played. They have 3, objectively, better D than Trouba, all making considerably less. Pesce and Slavin are locked up for years and Dougie, until 2022.

Just want to mention that Trouba's cap hit is only a few hundred thousand less than Sebastian Aho.
But you're not looking at apples to apples, other than we're talking about defensemen. Aho is a totally different story, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->