Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think that's an inevitability against Carolina. I like Chytil, but he'll be in tough to matchup well against Trocheck-Necas-Niederreiter.

I have a good feeling about the Smith-Trouba pair. Something about it makes sense to me a lot more than Skjei-Trouba. My feeling is that Trouba struggled in large part this season not because he was being asked to play this big shut-down role but that the responsibility implied his changing how he has always played. The emphasis was on his physicality and tenacity, which are real strengths, but Trouba's been an excellent puck-mover in his career; he's not quick, but he's like plenty of big d-men in that when he gets moving he can carry the puck very well through zones and can make plays on the rush—something he wasn't doing all season.

It's not that I think Smith-Trouba gives a more shutdown-pmd formula, but that both guys have similar strengths, and both have been humbled a lot this year. Rather than changing how he plays to make it work with Brady, Smith is sort of sent in there to support Trouba. I think Trouba gets to touch the puck more, gets to be the skater of the two, and especially, I think B.Smith is A LOT more willing to take a hit to make a play (even if he's not the best at making plays) than B.Skjei, and with Carolina's forecheck, that could make a huge difference for how well this pair performs.
Well it sounds like Necas too might be injured.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think they need to have to get some production from the PDG-Chytil-Kakkp line.
Prob off topic here but I completely agree.

At the end of the day, you feel like the Zbad and Bread lines will have the puck and be able to put some points up... if that 3rd line can as well it changes things tremendously against any other team.

Our D is what it is, work in progress wise. Love to see that 3rd line do damage (at least w puck possession)

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
What is the bolded based on, besides what you wish he had signed for?
Based on contracts for comparable players. Trouba is being paid like a stud #1 D and he isn't that player.
All the power to the guy for getting paid, but the idea that he is worth that contract is absurd. At least what he has shown to this point.
Let's be clear, he is a great addition to the team. Every team would like to have a player like him, but, that number dwindles down dramatically when you consider his contract.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Jets fan here. Trouba coughing it up and getting walked by Aho to go down 3-1 was sickening display and one us Jet fans have seen regularly.
Not here trolling here just stating what I’ve witnessed before.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
This contract won’t age well. Next in a long line of D we’ll all want off the roster.
Girardi, Staal, Shattenkirk, Skjei, Smith...

Reactions: EdJovanovski

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Yeah my take as well. I thought trouba was our top defenseman by a mile this series.

You are probably right, and I thought Trouba was okay this series, but this seems more like an indictment of how bad Fox and DeAngelo were. Disappointing.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
it’s weird to see this bumped when Trouba was probably one of our only good D this series

Yeah my take as well. I thought trouba was our top defenseman by a mile this series.

Trouba had a good series. Couple of blunders, but the Canes are a legit good team.

His play started improving as soon as Skjei was moved. Would be nice to find a partner for him. Hard to believe he’s just 26.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
it’s weird to see this bumped when Trouba was probably one of our only good D this series

maybe it's getting bumped because it's so clear that we can now trade DeAngelo at the height of his trade value... ADA will never be a top 4 RHD defenseman on this team, might as well upgrade the offensive corps

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
maybe it's getting bumped because it's so clear that we can now trade DeAngelo at the height of his trade value... ADA will never be a top 4 RHD defenseman on this team, might as well upgrade the offensive corps
DeAngelo is a huge offensive weapon. Him, Fox and Trouba on the right side can work. Just build your left side accordingly. I can see a scenario where it makes sense to move DeAngelo, but I don't want to lose sight of the fact that he's a great defenseman because he had a very tough series fighting through an injury.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m a Trouba detractor. Not a fan of anchoring the defense with this type of player, especially considering his contract.

He was good in games 2 and 3 though. I’ll give credit where it’s due.

Still not liking what we traded and that contract moving forward though.

Reactions: Thirty One

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
You know when you take a 15 minute shift in open hockey and make a stupid play because you should have gotten off the ice 10 minutes ago?

That's what Trouba looked like on the Aho goal.

Strong moments and looked like a horse and a few blunders. He really needs a dependable D partner, which ironically I feel like McD would have been perfect to cover up his worts. That would let Trouba be physical.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Trouba was our best defender. He played solid and he was leaned on heavily considering how bad everyone else was. He also may be the only guy capable of wearing a C on this roster. Gets too much flack from fans who need an easy scape goat.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Slightly overpaid for what we get but better than you average d man. That said Brady outplayed him this series which is kind sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->