hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008

giphy.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Matt Turk's nephew, also a punter, just put up 24 reps of 225 on the bench at the combine. That was more than all but one TE and every CB. It's more than a number of All-Pro DL and LB from the past several years. Guessing who is stronger is folly.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
him and smith as a pairing so far are the worst pairing we've had all year. and that's saying a lot
Smith should barely get third pair minutes. You put him out there in tough match ups for 20+, it's a recipe for disaster. Trouba isn't blameless, but man.

Figure out how to go get Morrissey, who is also struggling without Trouba.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Smith should barely get third pair minutes. You put him out there in tough match ups for 20+, it's a recipe for disaster. Trouba isn't blameless, but man.

Figure out how to go get Morrissey, who is also struggling without Trouba.
Assuming 50 5v5 minutes in a game:
Lindgren-Fox 20
DeAngelo-Trouba 20
Staal-Smith 10

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
We have to get rid of this contract before it’s too late. Imagine how much easier this offseason would be if we didn’t have this contract weighing us down.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We have to get rid of this contract before it’s too late. Imagine how much easier this offseason would be if we didn’t have this contract weighing us down.
It would be a lot easier if we didn't have $8M in dead cap being paid to players that aren't here. Or it would be much easier if we didn't have Staal and Smith. Or Lundqvist.

Trouba just turned 26 and has demonstrated previously an ability to play at a high level. In a few years, his $8M probably feels like $6M. I think you try to find someone that he can thrive next to rather than dumping him. We've seen with guys like Shattenkirk, Yandle, and Pionk (different circumstances, same story) that sometimes guys need new partners, a new defensive coach and system, etc., and can thrive just as they have in the past.

I think it would be a mistake to move on from him after just one season. It's not as if his physical skills are deteriorating or anything. He just needs to find his comfort zone here. I mean he was playing with Brady Skjei all year, one of the least reliable guys we have, and now has to play with Brendan Smith.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It would be a lot easier if we didn't have $8M in dead cap being paid to players that aren't here. Or it would be much easier if we didn't have Staal and Smith. Or Lundqvist.

Trouba just turned 26 and has demonstrated previously an ability to play at a high level. In a few years, his $8M probably feels like $6M. I think you try to find someone that he can thrive next to rather than dumping him. We've seen with guys like Shattenkirk, Yandle, and Pionk (different circumstances, same story) that sometimes guys need new partners, a new defensive coach and system, etc., and can thrive just as they have in the past.

I think it would be a mistake to move on from him after just one season. It's not as if his physical skills are deteriorating or anything. He just needs to find his comfort zone here. I mean he was playing with Brady Skjei all year, one of the least reliable guys we have, and now has to play with Brendan Smith.
I think Trouba was the unreliable guy in that pairing

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
think people thought Trouba was a lot more complete than he actually was before he came here.

he's physical and decent offensively. he was never fast and really he was never a shutdown D. IDK where that ever came from.

Reactions: leetch99 and hi

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
think people thought Trouba was a lot more complete than he actually was before he came here.

he's physical and decent offensively. he was never fast and really he was never a shutdown D. IDK where that ever came from.
Our coach has desperately tried to meme it into existence since day one.

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Tru is an offensive dman forced to play the shutdown role
He needs to play on the second pair with a stay at home defensive dman like Vlassic
But u dont pay a second pair/second PP unit dman 8 mil
Gorts need to realize that with tda, fox and lundvist on the way this 8 mil could be used better at another position
Cut him loose

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Tru is an offensive dman forced to play the shutdown role
He needs to play on the second pair with a stay at home defensive dman like Vlassic
But u dont pay a second pair/second PP unit dman 8 mil
Gorts need to realize that with tda, fox and lundvist on the way this 8 mil could be used better at another position
Cut him loose

How is a guy with the mobility of a walrus, the hockey sense of a six year old, and a shot like a shrapnel gun an offensive defenseman?

I agree with the verdict of your post (cut him loose), but he ain’t an offensive defenseman. He’s a middle of the road defenseman that was picked high and is very aggressive in front of the net and in the corners. Somehow that buys him enough brownie points to be considered a top pairing defenseman.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
His contract is bad. Real bad IMO. Paying him as a 50pt player when he's not that.

Hoping he grows into a 'shutdown role' but his first step and lateral quickness is poor and I don't think he's going to age gracefully.

Just throwing this out there.... but I wont be surprised if he's bought out in 2022 if there's another 'compliance buyout' available

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
So we could still trade him at the draft ... that would be a decision that wouldn't look all too professional if you ask me. Rangers will hang on and hope for the best.

New defensive coach would be a start.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So we could still trade him at the draft ... that would be a decision that wouldn't look all too professional if you ask me. Rangers will hang on and hope for the best.

New defensive coach would be a start.
It would have bad optics, but then you remember Redden, Shattenkirk, Richards, etc.

Reactions: hi

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Lindgren -- Fox
ADA -- Trouba
Then some combo of Smith and one of our AHL defensemen on the third pairing.

Scratch Marc Staal until we can buy him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->