Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
He's a decent player.. Who defintely has moments like he did today on that breakaway goal...

The big issue for me is his contract. $8M is A LOT of coin for what he doe
The Contract is insane. I wouldn’t be as hard on him if he made less but we are paying him to be a top almost elite level defensemen and he isn’t. Once in a while he will have a great game like against Winnipeg but not often enough

Reactions: duhmetreE

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
As someone who lives in Vancouver and sees a lot of Miller he’s essentially the exact same thing as Ryan Strome. He’s piggybacking off of playing on a line with one of the best players in the league, and still making frequent bonehead decisions & taking dumb offensive zone penalties. My critiques of him were never based on offensive production keep in mind (except in playoffs), every critique I’ve made about him is still just as relevant as it was when I coined the name Bozo. :laugh:

But yea with DeAngelo, Fox & Lundkvist that Trouba contract is just a disaster in so many ways. Even if he was living up to that contract I think it would be the wrong move for this team. But when he’s looking this bad in the very first year, yikes.
Miller/Strome. I do agree they are both boneheads in several areas and are leaching off their situations, I like Miller better than Strome though.

Trouba, this is the worst I have seen him play over the years, yet even when he is on his game the value seems low versus cap hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Blooded

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The Contract is insane. I wouldn’t be as hard on him if he made less but we are paying him to be a top almost elite level defensemen and he isn’t. Once in a while he will have a great game like against Winnipeg but not often enough
This exactly. Trouba is a good, not great, player that is being paid as though he’s a Norris candidate. The contract sucks in year 1 and is not going to age well.

Reactions: hi

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
This exactly. Trouba is a good, not great, player that is being paid as though he’s a Norris candidate. The contract sucks in year 1 and is not going to age well.
Exactly. I’m not one of those people who get on players if they have an off game or even a rough stretch because it happens to everybody but at the same time his overall play hasn’t come close to his price tag. Skjei too. He isn’t making as much as Trouba but we all expected more when Gorton signed him to a long term deal instead of a bridge(which I wish we did)

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

I agree that the contract isn't good value, but I don't think it's going to age poorly.

He's 25- he's not likely to get worse over the course of his contract. I don't think it'll turn into an albatross. I just don't think it'll ever be a particularly good value deal either- much like Skjei.

Reactions: motopanekeku
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I voted for Trouba in the most frustrating thread. The guy has everything I would want from a defenseman: mobile, strong, big shot, good vision and hints of a mean streak: He just doesn't use all those things all the time. And rarely does he use all those things together.

His been good, but still leaves me wanting more, more often. And the things I want more of are not things he's incapable of.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
I agree that the contract isn't good value, but I don't think it's going to age poorly.

He's 25- he's not likely to get worse over the course of his contract. I don't think it'll turn into an albatross. I just don't think it'll ever be a particularly good value deal either- much like Skjei.

I mean Brady Skjei was 24 when he signed his contract less than 2 years ago and he's gotten worse and his contract has already aged poorly

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I mean Brady Skjei was 24 when he signed his contract less than 2 years ago and he's gotten worse and his contract has already aged poorly

I disagree.

I think it "aged poorly" in the sense that the contract didn't develop into a steal like we all hoped-- but I don't think any rational person can look at Brady Skjei and think he's an albatross.

If we wanted to deal him, we'd still get good value for him.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think trouba needs a better defensive partner
Literally everyone on the left side sucks balls so why not move him to the left where he played in Winnipeg.

Trouba fox
Miller DeAngelo
Skjei lundkvist

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think trouba needs a better defensive partner
Literally everyone on the left side sucks balls so why not move him to the left where he played in Winnipeg.

Trouba fox
Miller DeAngelo
Skjei lundkvist
He hated playing the left and asked for a trade. Skill-wise if you are moving someone to the left it needs to be DeAngelo or Fox.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
JMHO, but reinforced by watching up close last night: Trouba is a really good player. I didn't and don't like 8mil for him. But I don't hate it for what he brings, either. He's much smarter than you guys give him credit for. He makes good pinches and he sees plays developing. But it's a struggle for him to read off of Skjei, who is as impulsive and careless with the puck in the defensive zone as I've seen. I think Trouba could excel with a dependable partner, instead of one who plays like a bull with horse blinders on.

H00fHearted

Jun 20, 2018
I think it's all going to come down to which Trouba shows up each year when the Rangers start making the playoffs. If he thrives in that environment of tight checking, physical defensive-minded hockey, he will be worth every penny and more. But if he still shows a tendency for brain farts and occasional lackluster effort, he will be Public Enemy #1 around here.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think it's all going to come down to which Trouba shows up each year when the Rangers start making the playoffs. If he thrives in that environment of tight checking, physical defensive-minded hockey, he will be worth every penny and more. But if he still shows a tendency for brain farts and occasional lackluster effort, he will be Public Enemy #1 around here.

A little from both columns is my forecast based on my perception of his previous playoffs.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
JMHO, but reinforced by watching up close last night: Trouba is a really good player. I didn't and don't like 8mil for him. But I don't hate it for what he brings, either. He's much smarter than you guys give him credit for. He makes good pinches and he sees plays developing. But it's a struggle for him to read off of Skjei, who is as impulsive and careless with the puck in the defensive zone as I've seen. I think Trouba could excel with a dependable partner, instead of one who plays like a bull with horse blinders on.
THIS. So much this.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm mostly fine with Trouba. No he's not the #1 guy we've been clamoring for but he's not overpaid by much. Maybe by $1 or 2 million. That Fox and DeAngelo are close in usefulness says more about them than him.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
If we didn't have him we'd be complaining we didn't have him. I'm fine with what he's making.

Yes, because most of this board doesn’t watch other teams play, unless it’s against the Rangers. So coveting him doesn’t mean a whole lot.

That becomes painfully obvious when you read reactions to trades or signings on here.

Reactions: hi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad