Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
God, I feel like I am going to get trashed for this but here goes. Never been a fan of Trouba and admittedly dont understand much of the "fancy stats", but man......what I see is a big tough guy that makes a decent enough of hits and shells out some good punishment, defends his teammates well, etc. But what I see all too often is his less than adequate skating, and getting beat by obviously speedier players. Yes, it happens, but I raise the question......shouldn't he KNOW who is on the ice and "position himself" accordingly? Won't even mention that in my eyes he is VERY overpaid. For that kind of money he needs to be very close to the BEST defensive player on the ice. And to me, he is not. Okay, have at me.
Oh yeah, and he shoots too high!
Everyone gets beat. He gets the hardest usage with less than adequate partners.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
The contract is bleh but I like his vet presence out there. It's not inconceivable that he'll raise his game, especially once we have a more competitive team. I think he tries to do too much at times and needs to simplify a bit.

He's not and probably won't ever be a #1 D, but I think he can be a great partner to one.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The contract is bleh but I like his vet presence out there. It's not inconceivable that he'll raise his game, especially once we have a more competitive team. I think he tries to do too much at times and needs to simplify a bit.

He's not and probably won't ever be a #1 D, but I think he can be a great partner to one.
Then the elephant in the room becomes this....Exactly why does a 56 Million dollar defenseman need to be paired with such a life saver ? Does he take a stupid pill before every game ?

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Then the elephant in the room becomes this....Exactly why does a 56 Million dollar defenseman need to be paired with such a life saver ? Does he take a stupid pill before every game ?
I think Merck manufacturers that one, no?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Everyone gets beat. He gets the hardest usage with less than adequate partners.
Bullshit. He demanded to be paid as a 1D and he is far from playing like one. You can't blame a partner when Trouba gets caught flatfooted, making bad reads, making stupid passes and shooting the puck no matter what the play dictates.
They played the Canes last night. Look at a guy like Slavin. He rarely gets beat. He knows his game is play solid D first and transition the puck. He is light years better than Trouba.
Look, is Trouba a bad player? No. But, his isn't a 1D, not even close, but he is paid like one and that might come back to bite us.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
We go through this bullshit with everyone of our d-men. Look you f***ing rocket scientists, you're not going to get a number one D in a trade or UFA without a huge overpayment in salary, assets, or age of the dman. This team needed toughness and it needed a vet presence on D not named Staal or Smith and Trouba was the best available. We have a real tough year next year for salary cap but after that it eases and every year Trouba becomes easily more smack in the middle of the market for contracts.

He's a part of the reason the team is improving and turning into a pleasure to watch.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
But he was NEVER a 1D. Ever. Many of us stated that he is an excellent partner to a 1D.

His contract rate is going to be pretty much market rate in a few years.

IMO, he is, ideally, on the second pair. He doesn't defend or contribute offense well enough to be on the first pair. If $8M is going rate for a 3D, the cap better rise significantly.

Reactions: leetch99

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
We go through this bullshit with everyone of our d-men. Look you f*cking rocket scientists, you're not going to get a number one D in a trade or UFA without a huge overpayment in salary, assets, or age of the dman. This team needed toughness and it needed a vet presence on D not named Staal or Smith and Trouba was the best available. We have a real tough year next year for salary cap but after that it eases and every year Trouba becomes easily more smack in the middle of the market for contracts.

He's a part of the reason the team is improving and turning into a pleasure to watch.

Most 1D are homegrown players who have been in a system for some time.
Trouba was never a guy who should have commanded the contract he did. He wasn't the best D on his own team.
Thankfully, Fox will assume the role of 1D and we have prospects coming who might live up to the billing.
I would rather give Kreider $6.5x6 and trade Trouba. He wouldn't be hard to replace.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IMO, he is, ideally, on the second pair. He doesn't defend or contribute offense well enough to be on the first pair. If $8M is going rate for a 3D, the cap better rise significantly.
He did hit 50 points last year. Where is the offensive deficiency? And his defense has been what it always was. Just with a worse supporting cast.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
He did hit 50 points last year. Where is the offensive deficiency? And his defense has been what it always was. Just with a worse supporting cast.
So what? He played PP1 on a potent offensive squad.
His D isn't what I would call impressive. So, what does that make him? A 3D making $8M.
Is your point that he is living up to the contract?

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Yes he got pats last year but his defense had been really bad and I can’t just blame Skjei or others for that. Plenty of times he had gotten beat or made dumb decisions that had nothing to do with Skjei. I was fine with the trade but that contract made me want to puke from the moment I heard it. Also talking to some jet fans I know they didn’t lose any sleep over losing him despite talent he has. Some feel he packs it in once he gets his contract

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
His D isn't what I would call impressive. So, what does that make him? A 3D making $8M.
When did he play PP1?

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
He played PP1 with the Jets the year he got 50 points. I believe he got the spot based on an injury.

It seemed like he was on the PP in an attempt to satisfy whatever usage he felt he wasn't getting on the Jets, in an attempt to make him happy and re-sign him.

He's wasn't very effective as an offensive defenseman with the man advantage.. but he could dish the puck to the offensive guns up front.

Reactions: Off Sides

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My point is that his contract is not nearly as bad as you are saying.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Trouba hasn't been a dud or a stud. Needs to step it up offensively considering the massive cap hit. Tony D has 18 more points in fewer games so should he get that kind of money now?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Curious of your guys thoughts on this, keep in mind the video was made extremely early this season where he was actually playing better hockey. There are far more examples to base off of now

I agree, very good analysis. Also agree how idiotic dumpins are, puck possession is way better.

I think it is a bit too risky keeping him, so if a good trade is on the table before his NMC kicks in it would be a good idea to pull a trigger.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think he played well last night without Skjei. I think the trade of his partner was a wakeup call for him. His hit was probably the best by the team all season.

More of this please:

I think Smith was a little passive and allowed to many people to drive around him with the puck down low, but he didn't do bad at all. I think they could be a viable pairing.

People are so quick to crap all over Smith because he showed up to camp in poor shape, but he's in game shape right now and is supposed to be a good defensemen. I think the left side is going slightly less weak than people think - not fantastic, but serviceable NHL quality. I'd grade the left side a B- based on what I saw last night, where other people I think were ready to grade them a D or F.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Still hate the contract but last night was probably his best game as a Ranger along with maybe the Winnipeg game. Well now with Skjei gone he has to step up. So far he has done it hopefully it continues

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Hit aside he was making Barzal's night miserable for most of the night. Just like every defenseman before him who doesn't weave his way around the ice and score a ton, he'll be hated no matter how well he plays. He's been inconsistent this season, but he's a young player, too. He's on a new team, in a new role, playing against a different conference, with 3 different (and mediocre) partners. Personally have never liked the contract, but count me as one who has come to like the player very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad