Jacob Trouba Appreciation Thread

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Good point when Morrissey is ready who do we trade away? Would seem we have too many defence man , this could be a few years tho but a nice problem to have.

Imo, Josh is likely 2 yrs away from stepping in and making an impact at the NHL level. I would guess he is sent back to Jr, next year as well (likely starts the season, but sent back before his 9 game stint is over). He needs to get stronger, imo. He's good. Did great in pre-season, but I don't think the Jets will want to rush him.

With that timeline, I would then think our top 4 would include Josh, as well as, a signed (long-term) Bogo and Enstrom, plus an emerging star still on his ELC, in Trouba.

For me, Clitsome would be the odd man out, as he'd have 1 yr left before UFA, and would likely be moved. I'm not sure the Jets would want a small-ish Enstrom, Morrissey, and Clitsome as their LH dmen.

Eventually, Josh likely takes over for Enstrom, qb's the pp, and plays significant minutes. I see Josh developing into a Duncan Keith type player, with a bit of an edge to his game, once the strength is there.

And yes, I do see Buff being moved once Josh is here, and Trouba has emerged into a top pairing dman. I think they like Bogo - over Buff - based on Bogo's age, consistent physical play, and elite skating ability. When paired with a quality dman, Bogo will do just fine stats wise too.

Retail1LO*

I don't think I've ever seen an appreciation thread sprout after a player's first game. LOL
Look forward to watching this kid progress.

Watched on Center Ice last night. If the Jets can keep the puck out of their own net, they'll be in good shape. I think they're going to put up a ton of goals this season.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I don't think I've ever seen an appreciation thread sprout after a player's first game. LOL

Watched on Center Ice last night. If the Jets can keep the puck out of their own net, they'll be in good shape. I think they're going to put up a ton of goals this season.

lol. Just kind of a funny thing to say lol

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I am really excited about Trouba.

For a 19 year old playing his first NHL game he looked poised and confident.

Scored a goal and almost sent Hall into orbit!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Funny thing about that thread is that is was started by a non Jets fan, and most of the most gushing posts are from non Jets fans.

Still, for HF, it will still be the "Jets fans" that are over-hyping him. :sarcasm:

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Funny thing about that thread is that is was started by a non Jets fan, and most of the most gushing posts are from non Jets fans.

Still, for HF, it will still be the "Jets fans" that are over-hyping him. :sarcasm:
Lol last time I checked I'm a jets fan... Thanks Huff!!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I said that JT would have to knock down the door to stay up this year and after game one it looks like it is possible, though it's obviously still super early.

I have to say I didn't expect what I saw last night and am totally impressed, and glad to be wrong (I didn't think he would be that poised)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trying not to get too high on him so early but its hard not too

That's how I'm feeling at the moment. :laugh:

bunny.gif

Even has the Scheifele shuffle. ;)

Trying to resist getting too high on Trouba, but he's making it difficult. I'm sure he'll run into a spot of two of trouble, but he's such a smart player that I think he'll be able to battle through adversity.

Regarding Noel's usage of youngsters: Trouba with 25m, and Scheifele moved to the second and receiving ton's of TOI.

Yea I am squarely in this camp. trying hard not to get to jacked BUT:

I think we have been around long enough to know the difference between seeing a decent prospect who has a hot game and what we witnessed last night. One small example for me is that 19 year old D men in their first NHL game don't read and jump the play on cross ice passes from the other team between the opposing teams blue line and red line (not once but twice). Watching those two plays (one where Jacob drew a penalty, one resulted in Trouba's first goal) were worth 1000 words.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Imo, Josh is likely 2 yrs away from stepping in and making an impact at the NHL level. I would guess he is sent back to Jr, next year as well (likely starts the season, but sent back before his 9 game stint is over). He needs to get stronger, imo. He's good. Did great in pre-season, but I don't think the Jets will want to rush him.

With that timeline, I would then think our top 4 would include Josh, as well as, a signed (long-term) Bogo and Enstrom, plus an emerging star still on his ELC, in Trouba.

For me, Clitsome would be the odd man out, as he'd have 1 yr left before UFA, and would likely be moved. I'm not sure the Jets would want a small-ish Enstrom, Morrissey, and Clitsome as their LH dmen.

Eventually, Josh likely takes over for Enstrom, qb's the pp, and plays significant minutes. I see Josh developing into a Duncan Keith type player, with a bit of an edge to his game, once the strength is there.

And yes, I do see Buff being moved once Josh is here, and Trouba has emerged into a top pairing dman. I think they like Bogo - over Buff - based on Bogo's age, consistent physical play, and elite skating ability. When paired with a quality dman, Bogo will do just fine stats wise too.

Here's another thought.

Compared to most other NHL teams the Jets' big advantage is the skill and mobility of their defence. I wonder if Chevy and Noel are thinking that they could develop a system that really capitalizes on this comparative advantage, and maybe they try to keep their core together (instead of trading Buff or another core D). It's a good "problem" to have to solve.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
He (Trouba) had his elbow out. I don’t know why he’s doing that … I wasn’t expecting it,” said Hall.

“I had my head up but you can’t always expect a guy will be coming at you with a flying blow.”

Hall needs to re-watch the replay. There was absolutely no "flying elbow". Trouba launched in for the hit a touch early in my opinion, thus causing him have his body momentum swing and he left his feet before making contact with Hall. That is likely what would have resulted in a suspension had there of been contact made.

However, Trouba had his shoulder down and elbow tucked in. Textbook clean hit in terms of elbow/shoulder placement. And I don't believe Trouba was aiming for Hall's head, I believe he was aiming to hit him centre on (shoulder to chest). Yes, Trouba's arm/shoulder has movement after the fact, but that is only natural given he missed his target, which is just the bodies momentum carrying through. It's not like Trouba launched at Hall with an elbow sticking out. Not at all.

37 second mark shows the slow-motion of the hit.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yea I am squarely in this camp. trying hard not to get to jacked BUT:

I think we have been around long enough to know the difference between seeing a decent prospect who has a hot game and what we witnessed last night. One small example for me is that 19 year old D men in their first NHL game don't read and jump the play on cross ice passes from the other team between the opposing teams blue line and red line (not once but twice). Watching those two plays (one where Jacob drew a penalty, one resulted in Trouba's first goal) were worth 1000 words.
I agree, it takes amazing, skill, judgement and confidence to do that in game 1 of your NHL career. My only reservations about his debut are:
1)The same confidence that allowed him to jump into those plays could get him into trouble (?TROUBAL) against better teams and he'll run the risk of being called reckless.
2)He is coming into the league at a time when there is much less tolerance for the big hit that causes injury, even if it is legal. Bad timing for Trouba because, in yesteryear, Blake and Pronger were lauded for hits that could, in the future, get Trouba suspended.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Here's another thought.

Compared to most other NHL teams the Jets' big advantage is the skill and mobility of their defence. I wonder if Chevy and Noel are thinking that they could develop a system that really capitalizes on this comparative advantage, and maybe they try to keep their core together (instead of trading Buff or another core D). It's a good "problem" to have to solve.

Quite possible too, Whileee.

If Buff plays a more structured game, then its an embarrassment of riches. But still an affordable 'embarrassment', at the moment, so why not?

The time for decisions, imo, will be when Trouba and Morrissey leave their ELC's and sign 2nd contracts. Ideally, they sign a 2 yr bridge contract, at a lesser amount, and then a long-term deal after their 2nd contract (Bogo's model).

By that time, Buff, Clitsome, and Toby are all in their early 30's and likely still affordable or expendable due to other prospects pushing for jobs.

I'm thinking Stu isn't around long-term, either.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Gotta love the local sports writers. Somehow Trouba is "headhunting" Hall with an elbow that wasn't there, and there isn't a peep about Smid dangerously ramming a player from behind face first into the boards.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Wait... I thought Canadians hated when their teams drafted American players?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Good point when Morrissey is ready who do we trade away? Would seem we have too many defence man , this could be a few years tho but a nice problem to have.

I only caught from the 2nd period on last night, but what I saw from Mark Stuart made me cringe. He lost the foot race to the iced puck that led to his partner clearing it over the glass, which in turn cost us a goal on the PK. I saw other things during the game like missed coverage in front of the net, but every time I started screaming at the screen it just so happened to be him.

Trouba, Scheifele and Frolik all had good nights, all being newcomers to the lineup. With 81 more games to improve before playoffs are upon us hopefully we can step it up and show that kind of grit and desire throughout the lineup.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What speculative garbage. :laugh: Yes, Hall would have had his clock cleaned, but we have no way of knowing if the hit was going to be clean or not, as it didn't happen.

:facepalm:

Trouba didn't even hit Hall and he's already messing with Hall's head. Nothing better than having the other team's best offensive player thinking about where you are on the ice.

I guess Hall didn't comment on Smid's dangerous hit from behind on Scheifele, followed by a cross-check to the back of the head.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
oh Hall.... you are funny.

What did I say in the pre game thread about Hall needing to keep his head up otherwise he was going to get destroyed by the Trouba train....

Nearly happened...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad