Jacob Trouba Appreciation Thread

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The first time I saw Trouba play, I knew he was going to be someone special for the Jets. In fact, I am in the process, of taking my Jets jersey in, and getting his name and number embroiled on the back of my jersey.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Time to start listening to Jimmy boys and girls :handclap:

Back in July I didn't predict - I flat-out said that Trouba would never play a single game in the minors. I received lots of flak for that statement.

It's not just his talent that makes him special - it's his amazing hockey sense combined with his raw talent that is going to make him one of the top d-men in the league in a few years.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Great debut.

We still have to remember that Trouba is still going to make 19 year old mistakes this year. He actually got away with a couple last night.

And, I don't think Trouba can play 25 minutes a night for 82 games this year. He played thirty something last year. He's going to hit a major wall if that happens.

But it was awesome watching him last night. He's got some kind of confidence. Skating the puck out of the zone with pressure on him and taking it in front of our net (which may backfire sometimes as I mentioned), playing physical down low, and almost drilling Hall were all just excellent to see. I also like he doesn't always try a big slap shot. Just get that puck on net with a good quick hard shot and good things will happen.

Captain Willard

Jan 5, 2012
The most impressive part of his goal

What really struck me most about his great goal was that he read what Hall was going to do and jumped up to intercept that lazy cross-ice pass. For a 19(?) year old rookie to see and do that in his very first NHL game is very special and what a great goal to start your NHL career with.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
It was just one game, and I keep telling myself that... but man did these two kids ever shine and look good. Everything they did to contribute last night is textbook to what you want to see from young guys stepping in. This is what we have waited for. You draft and develop prospects and hope when they step into the line-up they can contribute, and Scheifele and Trouba did just that last night. We don't get the win and 2 points without their contributions last night. Or, maybe we do, but who knows how.

These guys just seem to "get it", and for whatever the reason seem to have that "it" factor. It's always good to keep expectations in check and realistic, but every top prospect is praised in this game and at this point in time, based on what we know, based on what they have shown in their development to this point, we could very well have 2 studs in the making here. 2 legit studs and cornerstones to this organization.

There will be up and down moments and games, and there will be times when perhaps Scheifele or Trouba need a bit of a break to view the game from a higher level, as rookies they will experience on and off nights, but that's all part of it.

Like I said, it's one game and could very well not be an indication of what is to come, but if it is an indication of what is to come... then the Winnipeg Jets are in great hands headed forward.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Always felt like Trouba was the real deal. Those 25 minutes are the main thing. Noel loves responsible hockey and thats what Trouba demo'd in spades.

And, yes, its too early for an appreciation thread. Just enjoy the great debuts.

It is interesting that it was Edmonton we beat (Dubnyk stunk). They have taken the anti-Winnipeg/Nashville route - lots of dynamic would-be stars playing free-wheeling hockey.

Can't help thinking this game gives a one time validation of Chevy.

For the Joki-phobes, Jollie Ollie was plus 2.

Nov 24, 2006
That was a really, really impressive game for Trouba. Must kill guys like Postma, Clitsome, and Stuart to watch this kid strap on the skates and immediately push you down the depth chart. If last night was any indication, he won't leave the top 4 again.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
They both had amazing games yesterday. Looked like they have played in the NHL for a while. Both goals were terrific. The Trouba goal was scored exactly when it was needed most. Scheifele got knocked around quite a bit but just kept going. Love the attitude of both of these guys. Looking forward to the future of these two.
i also thought that olli looked good out there.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
They both had amazing games yesterday. Looked like they have played in the NHL for a while. Both goals were terrific. The Trouba goal was scored exactly when it was needed most. Scheifele got knocked around quite a bit but just kept going. Love the attitude of both of these guys. Looking forward to the future of these two.
i also thought that olli looked good out there.

bunny.gif

Even has the Scheifele shuffle. ;)

Trying to resist getting too high on Trouba, but he's making it difficult. I'm sure he'll run into a spot of two of trouble, but he's such a smart player that I think he'll be able to battle through adversity.

Regarding Noel's usage of youngsters: Trouba with 25m, and Scheifele moved to the second and receiving ton's of TOI.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I can't help but wonder if the Jets changed Trouba's number to 8 so they could save money on all of the #8 Burmi jerseys they had. Cheaper to only take the name off.

Some very quality aspects about this team but also some really budge stuff with all the fees, crap vendors, etc. :laugh:

TylerSVT*

Flames fan chiming in, watched the game last night. You guys have something really special in Trouba, he is a really fun player to watch.

Mark S had a great game as well and Kane is seriously fast and i loved his 2-way game.

Good solid core going forward, shore up your goaltending and you will have a pretty good team moving forward.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks!

And um...

*Slowly backs away...a Leafs fan...do I look him or her in their crazed eyes? What did the "Surviving the Leafs Win The Cup Apocalypse" handbook say? Stupid STUPID, I've had too much beer...Play it calm, perhaps he will just sniff around, make a Kessel or Rielly reference and go back to the GTA...*

Yeah good luck to the Leafs this year, sure got Kessel locked up eh? hehe um, how is Rielly's development coming along?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Well done!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If, and that's a big IF, Troubs continues to play well, play 22+ mins, 2nd pairing, puts up .5 pts/gm, and is a double digit + (in +/-), does he make the USA Olympic team?

Early question, sure, with lots of hockey to be played - but... If I was USA hockey, why not bring him as the 7th dman for the experience as he will be a future stud for them moving forward too. It does have that Drew Doughty feel to it (after only one game in the NHL :D)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I watched Trouba be Trouba out there last night and then remembered that I liked Morrissey even more during the pre-season.

Next year we may have both on our D and perhaps add in a forward prospect or two.

I like where we are headed. Please, more smart drafting!

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
I watched Trouba be Trouba out there last night and then remembered that I liked Morrissey even more during the pre-season.

Next year we may have both on our D and perhaps add in a forward prospect or two.

I like where we are headed. Please, more smart drafting!

Good point when Morrissey is ready who do we trade away? Would seem we have too many defence man , this could be a few years tho but a nice problem to have.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
It was just one game, and I keep telling myself that... but man did these two kids ever shine and look good. Everything they did to contribute last night is textbook to what you want to see from young guys stepping in. This is what we have waited for. You draft and develop prospects and hope when they step into the line-up they can contribute, and Scheifele and Trouba did just that last night. We don't get the win and 2 points without their contributions last night. Or, maybe we do, but who knows how.

These guys just seem to "get it", and for whatever the reason seem to have that "it" factor. It's always good to keep expectations in check and realistic, but every top prospect is praised in this game and at this point in time, based on what we know, based on what they have shown in their development to this point, we could very well have 2 studs in the making here. 2 legit studs and cornerstones to this organization.

There will be up and down moments and games, and there will be times when perhaps Scheifele or Trouba need a bit of a break to view the game from a higher level, as rookies they will experience on and off nights, but that's all part of it.

Like I said, it's one game and could very well not be an indication of what is to come, but if it is an indication of what is to come... then the Winnipeg Jets are in great hands headed forward.

I agree with everything you said.

Just hoping as a fan base, we don't become anything like LEAF nation on HF boards in regards to over hyping our own. Nothing turns me off of a player more than the constant bragging of fan bases on how great their player is.

None the less, it's great to see our scouting is on the right track. Looks like we may have a Chelios/Blake hybrid on our hands.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good point when Morrissey is ready who do we trade away? Would seem we have too many defence man , this could be a few years tho but a nice problem to have.

In two years....

Enstrom-Trouba
Morrissey-Bogo
Clitsome-Buff

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad