Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sad... we maybe put a toi much emphasis on sweden. I mean. Ikonen, vejdemo, olofsson, de la rose... all of them are gonna bust. Obviously. The amateur scout from sweden seem to to be influent in this amateur scout. These 2nd pick just wasted..

Most 2nd round picks bust or disappoint. Go look at every team and see for yourself. Not wasted picks... disappointing ones. It happens

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Another day, another bust.

Can we fire this sweden scout?

Do you know how many NHL games the 2nd round picks in 2018 have played so far? 28 total games for the entire round. When it's all said and done in a few years, we might get a half dozen NHL assets from the 2nd round.... that is worth talking about. Typical

But yeah, our history of drafting swedes is not so good. Ironically, our last 100 pts guy is a swede... almost 35 years ago! WOW!

Reactions: DAChampion

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Do you know how many NHL games the 2nd round picks in 2018 have played so far? 28 total games for the entire round. When it's all said and done in a few years, we might get a half dozen NHL assets from the 2nd round.... that is worth talking about. Typical

But yeah, our history of drafting swedes is not so good. Ironically, our last 100 pts guy is a swede... almost 35 years ago! WOW!

hockeydb is a good site for information. They have the draft position by year with more or less up to date GP, goals, etc.

2018 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

So the NHL has seen all of 30 games from second round picks from the 2018 draft.

That twitter post said something about NHL teams recalling players for preparation of an NHL season, that's good news!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
hockeydb is a good site for information. They have the draft position by year with more or less up to date GP, goals, etc.

2018 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

So the NHL has seen all of 30 games from second round picks from the 2018 draft.

That twitter post said something about NHL teams recalling players for preparation of an NHL season, that's good news!

I use HockeyDB a lot too. I counted 28 games?

Recalling players in preparation for the NHL season is good news. I had no doubt. Too much money on the line. Covid-19 is a huge problem but NHL can't cancel the season just like they could not cancel the past playoffs. I counted almost $500M of signing bonuses already paid for the next season. That's a huge amount of money! I also looked into the $5.09B of total revenue where the $81.5M cap is set from. Good news is the cost have been lowered. Right now, I have the NHL on track to have a total cost of $4.66B. That's a $430M cushion. All that adds up and helps! That $430M might drop to $400M after some of the big guys gets signed (PLD, Barzal..etc)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Looks like Olofsson will be groomed as a center for Laval this next season? Laval will miss Evans and if Poehling plays wing... Laval has a bunch of guys that can play center or wing but no real solid true centers right? Aside from the rookie Hillis? Blandisi our #1C in Laval next season?

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

Its hard to believe when you crunch the numbers. Between 2 rounds, theres 62 players drafted. Arguably, the best 62 players in the world. Out of however many draft eligible players in the world. You'd think there would be a higher success rate.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its hard to believe when you crunch the numbers. Between 2 rounds, theres 62 players drafted. Arguably, the best 62 players in the world. Out of however many draft eligible players in the world. You'd think there would be a higher success rate.

When I get more time, one of the things on my list is to evaluate the talent in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds, etc. Then create averages and also see the fluctuations from year to year. I'm curious to see the numbers. Some drafts are better than others. Lehkonen and Bertuzzi for example are the best in the 2nd round in 2013? Is that the average? Below average? or above average from other drafts?

Reactions: DAChampion

Jul 6, 2016
Looks like Olofsson will be groomed as a center for Laval this next season? Laval will miss Evans and if Poehling plays wing... Laval has a bunch of guys that can play center or wing but no real solid true centers right? Aside from the rookie Hillis? Blandisi our #1C in Laval next season?

They still have Dauphin and Vejdemo.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
To be fair Olofsson was a late 2nd rounder. Hallander and Gustafsson might arguably be the only prospects in the rest of that round that are trending better. It's disappointing that he hasn't progressed the way we had hoped, but it doesn't look like very many of those "highly touted" prospects in the late second and early third round are locks for the NHL. As of right now anyway.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
When I get more time, one of the things on my list is to evaluate the talent in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds, etc. Then create averages and also see the fluctuations from year to year. I'm curious to see the numbers. Some drafts are better than others. Lehkonen and Bertuzzi for example are the best in the 2nd round in 2013? Is that the average? Below average? or above average from other drafts?
It still boggles my mind that they cant find 62 guys in the world of hockey to make the NHL. Not even everyone in the first round makes it. I winder what the success rate is in other sports?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It still boggles my mind that they cant find 62 guys in the world of hockey to make the NHL. Not even everyone in the first round makes it. I winder what the success rate is in other sports?

MLB? Horrible.

Football is still a crap shoot, but a bit better than the NHL because they're expected to play right away.

NBA.. same crap shoot as the NHL, but far fewer rounds.

Reactions: kevsavard95

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
MLB? Horrible.

Football is still a crap shoot, but a bit better than the NHL because they're expected to play right away.

NBA.. same crap shoot as the NHL, but far fewer rounds.
Football is far better, but they are drafting twenty somethings, so it stands to reason.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Football is far better, but they are drafting twenty somethings, so it stands to reason.

Its better but you still see teams draft Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson. Aaron Donald went 14th.. Devante Adams in the 2nd round. But they definitely get more players to step in right away but that's also due to roster spots and age of the draft.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Its better but you still see teams draft Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson. Aaron Donald went 14th.. Devante Adams in the 2nd round. But they definitely get more players to step in right away but that's also due to roster spots and age of the draft.
Football is very system orientated, some do far better under a different system. Mahomes is like catching lightning in a bottle. I don't follow collage football, but I wonder how many guessed at his impact on the game.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Or DK Metcalf went 64th even with the speed and that his freaking monster

Reactions: CapSpace

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Competition is tough but yeah, you would think the top 100 would be NHL players. That's why the draft is so tough. Scouts are trying to track the growth of 15-18 year olds.

Interesting numbers... There are 713 NHL players (23 man roster x 31 teams). Take that and divide by lets say 12 years and you get about 60 players per draft. Kind of falls in line with what we have been getting from each draft right? Average NHL career is much lower than 12 years but I'd say over half of the 23 man rosters are around for 10+ years. It's the depth guys that lower the averages.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes, there are others as well who are winger/center types. Who are the true type centers? Blandisi and Hillis? I'm assuming Olofsson is as well?

Being able to play wing doesn't mean you are not a bona fide center. It's like saying Malkin is not a true center because he played some wing with Crosby at some point.

Dauphin, Vejdemo, Vigneault and Lynch are all legit center at the AHL level. Only Hillis has a contract for 2021-2022 so we will see what the plan is later. Olofsson could stay in Sweden for 2021-2022 as well as he only need to be signed for June 2022 (if ever). RHP (already on AHL deal) and Ikonen are the only forward that needs to be signed for June 2021.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Currently, Timra is in first place in the standings. Vejdemo's team, Sodertalje, are in third place. But Timra has 4 games in hand on Sodertalje.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad