Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He was injured during the WJC. And he has always been a forward. No shifts or games on D.
I remember him playing D for Sweden in the WJC due to injuries. He didn't look too bad, had solid stick checking.

Turns out it was the one in 2018-2019.

And I think I also remember reading that he was deployed at D at times with his club in Sweden.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
Jacob Olofsson se fait voler un but dans une victoire en SHL | Rapport de match

Another game report from September 11th, 2020. Got robbed by the ref because he had a goal but they stopped the play too soon. He played LW and looked good. Protect the puck and played in the traffic. He is at his best when he plays a simple game and help in the defensive side of the game. The rust is going away little by little. Not a bust yet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
European prospect preview: Jacob Olofsson rejoins his team at a new position

There has never been any doubt about Jacob Olofsson’s talent, however there has always been a discussion about his work ethic on and off the ice. The long off-season seems to have changed that. One of Skellefteå’s coaches, Stefan Hedlund, has been impressed with the Montreal Canadiens prospect’s rehabilitation after his season-ending shoulder injury.

I never heard of work ethic issues with him, but always doubts about his offensive upside so that's interesting but troubling if true.

The added muscles, built up during his rehab, has strengthened his core and legs, and that has benefited his balance and skating. Interestingly, Mr. Hedlund also mentions that Skellefteå will play Olofsson on the wing. The fact that there are too many centres on the roster means that some of them will have to play out of position, and it should not be seen as a weakness in his development. Both Mr. Hedlund and Tomas Montén, Sweden’s U20 coach, speak highly of Olofsson’s hockey IQ, and learning to play in another position should aid his development and potential future career on the other side of the Atlantic

I never noticed any balance issues, he was never in the McCarron, Kotka, range where they clearly had balance issues.

“Olofsson is a huge talent, and he really grew last season. He hasn’t paid enough attention to the details, which has caused him to take some hits. He did have some bad luck with his [shoulder] injury that happened just when he started to earn some success. He will be a great asset for Skellefteå this season. If he can start up where he left off it will be a really exciting season for both him and his team. Jacob has an enormous potential. If he can raise the level in his game, then he is close to realise that potential.” — Adam Savonen, Journalist for Norran (Skellefteå’s local paper):

kind of sounds like Poehling who gets hit way too much.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
European prospect preview: Jacob Olofsson rejoins his team at a new position

I never heard of work ethic issues with him, but always doubts about his offensive upside so that's interesting but troubling if true.

I never noticed any balance issues, he was never in the McCarron, Kotka, range where they clearly had balance issues.

kind of sounds like Poehling who gets hit way too much.

The thing about Olofsson is always that he has all these great offensive tools, but when the game happens, he doesn't use them. He needs confidence and willingness to try.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The thing about Olofsson is always that he has all these great offensive tools, but when the game happens, he doesn't use them. He needs confidence and willingness to try.

in the games i've seen he's been night and day, sometimes he looks on par offensively with DLR, other times he looks like he could be a 2nd liner.

since he was picked by our former Swedish scout and not the current one I have less belief in him as Rockstrom has been a disaster.

What's this guys ceiling...3rd liner?

it's hard to say as he's missed about a full year of development to injuries. Then he's been wildly inconsistent, he went months without being able to do much of anything offensively to the point where he looked like he would be lucky to be the next DLR, then out of nowhere he goes on a tear and just as he starting to pile up some points he gets injured. So was that a flash in the pan, is he just inconsistent?

I saw this with Vejdemo to a lesser extent but he would wow you at times and then you would forget he existed (talking about his team in Sweden) now he was never able to put it together at least not yet. Olofsson has some similar tools to that of our former Swedish picks in Vejdemo/DLR, as they all have the physical tools you want, NHL level skating, speed, size, to go with all of them playing well in their own end so you know that coaches will trust them. The question has been their offense and can they put it together. Olofsson seems to have the best chance at this since we just don't know yet where his game is really at yet. If he can produce offense maybe he can be a 3rd liner, if he can consistently produce then maybe he could be a 2nd liner, if not he can be a 4th liner.

This season is really big for a number of prospects in part to having so many get season ending injuries while others were still in the early stages of development so we need to see them continue to progress.

Reactions: Deebs
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Interesting point you bring about the head scout for Sweden. There was a lengthy period of time in the 2000 and early 2010 the Habs would never pick from Sweden. Now it has changed recently with DLR, Collberg, Olofsson (first with Rockstrom I believe) and then with Vejdemo and Norlinder (not sure who are responsible for those picks but they seem promising)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Interesting point you bring about the head scout for Sweden. There was a lengthy period of time in the 2000 and early 2010 the Habs would never pick from Sweden. Now it has changed recently with DLR, Collberg, Olofsson (first with Rockstrom I believe) and then with Vejdemo and Norlinder (not sure who are responsible for those picks but they seem promising)

Rockstrom joined during the '10-'11 season, so Nygren, Nystrom, Collberg, DLR, Olofsson, Vejdemo, Henrikson were all his picks. Norlinder falls under tommy lehmann

Reactions: De Montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

We took Olofsson right before the Pens took Hallander with the 2nd round pick we traded to them. Hallander is the sweedish center prospect just traded to Toronto in the Kapanen deal. He's apparently progressing well. So who fares better between Olofsson and Hallander will be at least one test of our Sweedish scouts' abilites.

We then used the 3rd rounder we got in the deal to draft Hillis. So passing on Hallander to get Hillis is a test for our overall scouting department.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We took Olofsson right before the Pens took Hallander with the 2nd round pick we traded to them. Hallander is the sweedish center prospect just traded to Toronto in the Kapanen deal. He's apparently progressing well. So who fares better between Olofsson and Hallander will be at least one test of our Sweedish scouts' abilites.

We then used the 3rd rounder we got in the deal to draft Hillis. So passing on Hallander to get Hillis is a test for our overall scouting department.

Hallander probably ranked in the Leafs top 5 best prospects :laugh:

Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah... In the AHL.

People said that DLR would be an AHLer yet he's still hanging in there. Olofsson is around that level but it's too early to say as injuries have really impacted his development time. So he could end up a better DLR, a maybe 3rd liner but more likely 4th liner or he could end up a Vejdemo type that just can't put it all together. You know some teams are going to be interested in players like Olofsson, DLR, big guys that have NHL speed, skating, strength, defensive play.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People said that DLR would be an AHLer yet he's still hanging in there. Olofsson is around that level but it's too early to say as injuries have really impacted his development time. So he could end up a better DLR, a maybe 3rd liner but more likely 4th liner or he could end up a Vejdemo type that just can't put it all together. You know some teams are going to be interested in players like Olofsson, DLR, big guys that have NHL speed, skating, strength, defensive play.

Well said! It could go either way. We have a lot of grade B's that could end up like Evans or DLR or they could end up like Scherbak or McCarron. The good thing is we have lots of them so probability is good we get more surprises like Evans

Another 7 picks from 47-125 range is going to make it more deeper. Time to go after the high upside guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad