Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He must not be coming to rookie camp then, which makes sense, he's not signed.

Honestly, I never even considered Olofsson coming for the rookie camp. It is rare for Habs do bring in the Euro players to Rookie or main camps, though.

They bring them for development camp because it's in the middle of the summer. But Euro players are usually left in Europe during the two main camps because their seasons start at that time. Vejdemo was left there, Ylonen was left there, Norlinder was left there the last two years, etc. We know KHL players can't come like was the case with Romanov and Khisamutdinov, and now includes Gordin and Kostenko.

We're getting Norlinder this year, who can go back. But he will be given a real shot at making the team.

But the last time they brought a Euro over to the camps only to send him back to Europe was Colberg if I'm not mistaken. And I think the back-and-forth made him lose his spot in his European team and thus wasn't able to progress.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly, I never even considered Olofsson coming for the rookie camp. It is rare for Habs do bring in the Euro players to Rookie or main camps, though.

They bring them for development camp because it's in the middle of the summer. But Euro players are usually left in Europe during the two main camps because their seasons start at that time. Vejdemo was left there, Ylonen was left there, Norlinder was left there the last two years, etc. We know KHL players can't come like was the case with Romanov and Khisamutdinov, and now includes Gordin and Kostenko.

We're getting Norlinder this year, who can go back. But he will be given a real shot at making the team.

But the last time they brought a Euro over to the camps only to send him back to Europe was Colberg if I'm not mistaken. And I think the back-and-forth made him lose his spot in his European team and thus wasn't able to progress.

Absolutely - there's no way he's making the team and it's the rookie not development camp. Better to leave him back in Sweden.

We know Norlinder is being given every opportunity to make the team because we lack his elements on the blueline.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He must not be coming to rookie camp then, which makes sense, he's not signed.

In the last 3 preseason games he's been on the 4th line, press box and 13th forward. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Allsvenskan.

Timmins said as much, he said he felt they made a mistake in bringing Collberg over as he missed the start of the season and when he went back to Frolunda he lost his spot and ended up on the 4th line not playing much. Which is why I said it makes it so much more odd that they are doing the same thing to Norlinder, though he's much better in terms of SHL play and older, so if he goes back he won't lose his spot.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In the last 3 preseason games he's been on the 4th line, press box and 13th forward. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Allsvenskan.

Timmins said as much, he said he felt they made a mistake in bringing Collberg over as he missed the start of the season and when he went back to Frolunda he lost his spot and ended up on the 4th line not playing much. Which is why I said it makes it so much more odd that they are doing the same thing to Norlinder, though he's much better in terms of SHL play and older, so if he goes back he won't lose his spot.

I think the other difference re: Norlinder is that they do expect he will have a chance to make the roster, versus with Collberg there was 0 chance he was going to crack it.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
One thing for sure - the fact that this year, he's starting on the 4th line in the SHL.. isn't saying much for his progression.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Kostenko - 0 pts, 4 shots, Even, 16:24 TOI.

Out of the 8 D, 6 played between 16-17ish mins. In 9 games he's played 16 or more mins in 7 games so he's getting his time in.

Gordin didn't play again so he must be injured.

blame the SHL schedule makers, Olofsson's team played 3 games in 7 days and then had the next 12 days off.

Speaking of him, he already beat his last year total in 13 less games so improvement I guess?

At this point he has had similar production (better in PPG) to Collberg minus the WJC production (but obviously way better defensively), so he really need at good year to justify signing him at 22 years old.

Anyone watched him in his 3 games?

OT PS: I still don't understand how Collberg can't be a dominant forward outside of Junior. Even in the EBEL he was not top6 level in ppg. Even in DEL2 he was far from a top player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Speaking of him, he already beat his last year total in 13 less games so improvement I guess?

At this point he has had similar production (better in PPG) to Collberg minus the WJC production (but obviously way better defensively), so he really need at good year to justify signing him at 22 years old.

Anyone watched him in his 3 games?

OT PS: I still don't understand how Collberg can't be a dominant forward outside of Junior. Even in the EBEL he was not top6 level in ppg. Even in DEL2 he was far from a top player.

Yes in 1 game he has as many points this season then he had in 16 last year, but we'll see how it goes as he's a streaky player. He's only got 20 pts in 74 career SHL games so he's only 18 away from that. If he can stick all year in the SHL I'd be happy after the preseason he had as it wasn't looking good for him. I haven't watched any of his games yet but I'm sure I'll see one or two at some point. It's going to be a crazy busy year with so many prospects to follow/watch, it's going to be tough once things get going to see them all.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He seems to finally be finding his offensive game at the SHL level. I guess I'll have to watch a few Timra games now to make sure.

I don't know if Habs will sign him or not, but I've said it even when he was struggling that I feel he has interesting tools. The only thing not making him a well regarded prospect to most fans is that his offensive game isn't present. But at the same time, you can't expect them all to be offensive dynamos.

So far this early season, it seems he has found a rhythm in terms of production. The hope is that he keeps it up.

He already surpassed his production in Skelleftea from last year. He had 3 pts in 16 GP before he was sent to Timra. He now has 4 pts in 7 GP.

His biggest production in the SHL were 9 pts. He had 9 pts in 34 GP in 2018-19 with Timra. And he had 9 pts in 24 GP in 2019-20 with Skelleftea.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't know if Habs will sign him or not, but I've said it even when he was struggling that I feel he has interesting tools. The only thing not making him a well regarded prospect to most fans is that his offensive game isn't present. But at the same time, you can't expect them all to be offensive dynamos.

So far this early season, it seems he has found a rhythm in terms of production. The hope is that he keeps it up.

He already surpassed his production in Skelleftea from last year. He had 3 pts in 16 GP before he was sent to Timra. He now has 4 pts in 7 GP.

His biggest production in the SHL were 9 pts. He had 9 pts in 34 GP in 2018-19 with Timra. And he had 9 pts in 24 GP in 2019-20 with Skelleftea.
To me, Olofsson is the poster boy for '' great toolbox but he doesn't do much with it'' in our prospect pool, which is why I've always kept a sliver of hope about him. If he can somehow put everything together he'd be worth an ELC .

Reactions: montreal

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
To me, Olofsson is the poster boy for '' great toolbox but he doesn't do much with it'' in our prospect pool, which is why I've always kept a sliver of hope about him. If he can somehow put everything together he'd be worth an ELC .

Lump him into that Vejdemo group of players that have no single outstanding quality so they just become tweeners.

Reactions: EXPOS123

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Lump him into that Vejdemo group of players that have no single outstanding quality so they just become tweeners.
I'd argue Olofsson has a bit more hockey skill in his repertoire ( better hands, better shot) , although he doesn't use it much at all. You never see him really let loose, for whatever reason he had this very passive mentality drilled into him. Vejdemo on the other hand is vanilla incarnate, he's just straight meat and potatoes .

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he's got 20 pts in 74 SHL games, so far this year he's on pace for 30 pts, although he's been so streaky in the past so we'll see how it plays out as I've seen him go really really cold and then get really hot.

If he learned to use his size, I don't know what he's listed at today, but last time I saw him, the kid is like a bull on skates, and moves so well for that size but he's even softer then DLR who at least would use his frame from time to time.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I'm not familiar with these loans, but what is the point in a 2 week loan to a team playing in the same league? I guess going to a worse team could make sense if it allowed the player more icetime, but to a better team?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I'm not familiar with these loans, but what is the point in a 2 week loan to a team playing in the same league? I guess going to a worse team could make sense if it allowed the player more icetime, but to a better team?
He's been loaned as cover for injuries. I think Frölunda have something like 5 forwards out injured at the moment, at some point you run out of kids to call up from the junior team and have to look for help from outside.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Interview with him in Göteborgs-Posten a couple of days ago:

Yes, please. Olofsson was drafted in 2018 in the second round by the Montreal Canadiens, but lately he has been stuck in a Timrå IK that is already struggling in the SHL-bottom.
One goal and three assists in 14 games played - and less and less playing time.

- It started very well at the beginning of the season, but then it has become less playing time and also dividends. Then I started thinking too much out there. It gets stuck, says Jacob Olofsson.

- I have come here to not think so much! I'm just going to run on my backbone, trust it - and that's when it works best! That's what I will try to find my way back to, to get a good feeling again, says Jacob Olofsson.

And from Roger Rönnberg:

The Timrå player has been a member of every youth team over the years - and according to Frölunda coach Roger Rönnberg, the 031 club has had its eye on Olofsson for a long time.

- He's a guy we've scouted in a lot of games! We know he can play hockey - and now it's up to us to get him to play hockey in our way and at our speed. That is the challenge for him, says Roger Rönnberg.

Source: Frölundas lån om chansen: ”Kom som en chock”

Reactions: Adam Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad