Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
So I saw an article yesterday saying that there are obvious negotiations with Markstrom's agent going on right now. I know this isn't news but what i DID FIND INTERESTING was that the article stated that the Canucks have offered him a 2 year deal. OMG if we could pull that off it would be amazing. I don't mind paying 6 or 6.5 for this - I just wasn't thinking that he would be happy with less than a 4-5 year deal. If this happens it's another AWESOME move by Benning. He's probably banking on him wanting to be here (which he does - he loves it here and I don't see him wanting to leave) - much like happened with Edler (that was a great move there).

Holy Fawk........if Benning signs him for 2 years that's great work - seriously I would have to tip my hat to that.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
So I saw an article yesterday saying that there are obvious negotiations with Markstrom's agent going on right now. I know this isn't news but what i DID FIND INTERESTING was that the article stated that the Canucks have offered him a 2 year deal. OMG if we could pull that off it would be amazing. I don't mind paying 6 or 6.5 for this - I just wasn't thinking that he would be happy with less than a 4-5 year deal. If this happens it's another AWESOME move by Benning. He's probably banking on him wanting to be here (which he does - he loves it here and I don't see him wanting to leave) - much like happened with Edler (that was a great move there).

Holy Fawk........if Benning signs him for 2 years that's great work - seriously I would have to tip my hat to that.

Chris Johnston reported that he heard the Canucks offered Markstrom a 2 year contract extension (possibly at 6M per). He said he could see a deal with a slightly lower AAV but more term. He also said he can’t confirm if what he heard was fact or rumour.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It will never happen, but I'd happily give Markstrom 1 year at like 12M. That way we don't need to protect both goalies for the expansion draft, and get a lot more cost certainty for with the Pettersson and Hughes contracts solidified at that point.

Then give Markstrom a 5x4 or whatever assuming he plays slightly worse next year but is still a high end starter.

A goalie with a long track record like Holtby or Bobrovsky would never be allowed to do this (agent, PA). But Markstrom? He's really had one full elite season. As long as you don't take a moronic Kevin Labanc like one year deal, the only risk is that he gets hurt and loses out on the long term money - that's what the huge cap hit is for.

Larger market organizations like the Canucks should actually flex their financial muscle more and do shit like this. If Markstrom were to hit some unlucky injury issues, find another way to make him whole. Not like you'd have to do much anyways to make up for $12M front loaded in one year (f***, make 10M of it signing bonus, idk) vs 18M over 3 years or whatever that they'd sign him to now.

Edit: I haven't checked if that is even remotely feasible with our current cap lol. I'm assuming to do this we need Eriksson to disappear.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
A bit old thread, I just noted a marginal statistical thing regarding goalies and Vancouver. that Markström soon has double games in NHL compared with Eddie Läck. 272 vs 144.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
100 percent believe he’ll take a hometown discount
If he hits the market he will get offers.

Chicago has no big money commitment to anyone.
Carolina could use some help.
Detroit needs to secure the position.

don’t see a discount.

Reactions: cookiefest

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
tenor.gif

Reactions: vanuck and Flik

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I don't see him taking a discount, this is his best chance to cash, there will be multiple teams interested and the Canucks will be a joke without him.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
100 percent believe he’ll take a hometown discount

It's hard to say. I think players like Tanev and Markstrom could take team-friendly deals, but this is no ordinary circumstance with COVID and all. There's a lot of uncertainty and Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli are all up for probably their biggest deals. Lots of players may be taking 2 year deals to get more money when the cap goes back up.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
If he hits the market he will get offers.

Chicago has no big money commitment to anyone.
Carolina could use some help.
Detroit needs to secure the position.

don’t see a discount.

Not a discount, but likely to be lower than expected due to the flat cap and a glut of available starters this offseason. Carolina is probably the only team team that is competitive, has cap space, and needs goaltending. 2x$6M is a very fair offer, given the circumstances, and allows Markstrom to get another contract at 32 if he continues to perform. Longer contract would be a lower cap hit, and would have his contract end at 33-36, which limits what he could expect on his next contract.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kelly Hrudy saying last night that 'Markstom is the best goalie in the NHL' . Normally you'd take it with a 'grain of salt'. But Hrudy played in the league for years with the Islander and Kings, and knows his goaltenders.

After last night, hard to argue with him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kelly Hrudy saying last night that 'Markstom is the best goalie in the NHL' . Normally you'd take it with a 'grain of salt'. But Hrudy played in the league for years with the Islander and Kings, and knows his goaltenders.

After last night, hard to argue with him.

In my mind, he is unequivocally the best goalie in the NHL right now.

There are guys with better numbers ... playing behind defensive juggernauts like Boston or TB. When you look at the level of defense in front of him and the results he gets on the absurd volume of high-danger scoring chances he faces, the guy is a superstar.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
There's hometown discount where maybe you give the organization you have some loyalty to and comfort with 1 year less term, or a 10% AAV cut or something like that. But if he's getting wind from his agent that there are 40+ million dollar 6 year contract offers, we are not getting him for a 2 year deal. That would be insanity for a guy who hasn't had a chance at a big contract. Ask Kevin Labanc how his loyalty discount is going to work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
If the defence in front of him was better/deeper, I would be more tempted to part ways and roll the dice on Demko to help the Cap. But given how long it will likely take to rebuild the defence, I don't think we can let Markstrom go. Not if we want to remain a playoff team and compete.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I am positive that he really wants to win the cup. Sure that goes for many. But if he is looking at other offers he will not do it for money alone. Then there are many teams who are not looking for a goalie, or can't afford one. In the end the market is pretty small for a somewhat picky goalie. I am not worried, this team will be a contender during his best years.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Normally I'm against signing UFA that are over 30 years old to term and big money, but for Markstrom I'll make an exception. I know from cap management POV, playing Demko with a 1B might be cheaper and "safer" for the long term, but Markstrom is just so good right now, top 5 (arguably higher) in his position. I'm ok giving him both (reasonably) top dollar with term and trade protection. But still no way I give him the Bobovsky's contract though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad