Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
After a statistically poor start to the season, Markstrom's numbers have taken a dramatic turn for the better. I set up a spreadsheet, enterd his saves, shots against and time on ice for his last 9 games and over that 9 game stretch he has a goals against average of 2.00 and a save percentage of .928.

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He's always been able to make the big saves. Soft goals were his Achilles' heel; he's cut down on those this season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He's always been able to make the big saves. Soft goals were his Achilles' heel; he's cut down on those this season.

Well I wouldn't say he has cut down on those soft goals this season. During that losing streak we had it was close to first shot an in.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Surprised there hasn't been more talk in the Markstrom thread. I think he looks like a totally different goaltender in net right now, although he's done this in the past for short spurts and then regressed when over played so we'll see what happens.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I'm happy for Markstrom, he was the Carter Hart goaltending prospect about 10 years a go. Although he never became the franchise starting goaltender he was projected to be, he's proving he can be a reliable 1B goalie. Any success that he receives, I'll be happy for him. Hopefully he can continue the streak.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
He's been rock solid pretty much all year and has been on a particularly hot run as of late. Still has let in his share of stinkers but overall most of his numbers this season are above league average which is pretty impressive considering he has to bail out Gudbranson and Pouliot shitting the bed multiple times a night. I still see some people criticize him and say that he's one of the biggest problems on this team which is insane, this market has a weird fixation with bashing the goalie when the team doesn't give them help.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Surprised there hasn't been more talk in the Markstrom thread. I think he looks like a totally different goaltender in net right now, although he's done this in the past for short spurts and then regressed when over played so we'll see what happens.

Thats because he's not sporting those creepy ears anymore.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Extremely impressive run my gosh. I’ve been calling him a nhl level back up since the beginning , but damn nice run keep it up pls!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He's been rock solid pretty much all year and has been on a particularly hot run as of late. Still has let in his share of stinkers but overall most of his numbers this season are above league average which is pretty impressive considering he has to bail out Gudbranson and Pouliot ****ting the bed multiple times a night. I still see some people criticize him and say that he's one of the biggest problems on this team which is insane, this market has a weird fixation with bashing the goalie when the team doesn't give them help.

"Still has let in his share of stinkers"

If you watch NHL hockey games other than the Canucks it is rare not to hear a play by play guy say " He'd like to have that one back." about either goalie in that game. Almost no goalie is perfect in any game. It takes more than one goal to win most any hockey game and if your team doesn't score at least one, you lose. This "a weak goal defeats the team" is incorrect. Like any good goalie, you put a goal behind you and move forward. Good teams do likewise. A stinker gets in and the team scores 3 while you shut the door, you win!

This talk of how a goalie loses the game with an early stinker and then don't draft goalies high or goalies are easy to find is so hypocritical. Makes me wonder why any thinking hockey dad would encourage his kid to be a goalie. The most thankless position on the team.

Do your job and get ignored. **** up and you suck. Team loses, it's because your goaltending isn't good enough. Team wins, what a great offensive group we have. Been reading this in the papers and on the net as well as hearing it in the stands and in the bars for decades. It is a team sport and all contribute to to the overall results of a season. If a guy is really bad and it's so easy to get another one, I guess every team would have the best goalie in the world.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
"Still has let in his share of stinkers"

If you watch NHL hockey games other than the Canucks it is rare not to hear a play by play guy say " He'd like to have that one back." about either goalie in that game. Almost no goalie is perfect in any game. It takes more than one goal to win most any hockey game and if your team doesn't score at least one, you lose. This "a weak goal defeats the team" is incorrect. Like any good goalie, you put a goal behind you and move forward. Good teams do likewise. A stinker gets in and the team scores 3 while you shut the door, you win!

This talk of how a goalie loses the game with an early stinker and then don't draft goalies high or goalies are easy to find is so hypocritical. Makes me wonder why any thinking hockey dad would encourage his kid to be a goalie. The most thankless position on the team.

Do your job and get ignored. **** up and you suck. Team loses, it's because your goaltending isn't good enough. Team wins, what a great offensive group we have. Been reading this in the papers and on the net as well as hearing it in the stands and in the bars for decades. It is a team sport and all contribute to to the overall results of a season. If a guy is really bad and it's so easy to get another one, I guess every team would have the best goalie in the world.

There's a reason I never wanted to play Goalie... it's what you just described. Constantly getting crucified for goals that come out of chances the guys in front of you gave up... or the ones "you should have had."

Anyways, nice to see Marky getting into a bit of a groove here. I still kinda miss Schneider, Luongo and Lack and would have honestly preferred any of them over Markstrom... but with the exception of Luongo, those guys have had their game fall way off the map.

...so, I guess we actually chose right?

Either way, hope he keeps it up. Not an easy position at all.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
He’s been extremely solid this year, has all the tool to be a good goalie in this league, hoping he continues to give us above league average goaltending.

I hate to rag on the guy because he IS playing well lately but all this blind adulation is a bit much. He isn't playing "above average" by any yardstick; his GAA and sv% are below even his own career average (which is, to be kind, unimpressive) and his sv% this year is 28th in the league while his GAA is 32nd and all this despite the fact that he often gets tough games off (like on the road against Nashville or the other night against Tampa) while getting starts in gimmie games like against Philly the other night (a team on the verge of firing their coach) or St. Louis (Jake Allen says hi). When he starts rolling into places where the home team is leading their divisions and beats them emphatically I may well join the parade but for the time being I'm still on the fence with this guy. If he plays tonight it should be instructive. Should we actually make the playoffs with him as our #1 I predict a swift exit. Most people will blame the defence or Benning or whatever but I still think Marky is a lower echelon starter on his best day.

Reactions: m9

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I swear, if Markstrom ends up getting shipped off after putting up solid numbers like some of our previous guys...

...I just may not believe in goalie for a long while... I'm just not ready to get hurt again. :(

:wg:

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I hate to rag on the guy because he IS playing well lately but all this blind adulation is a bit much. He isn't playing "above average" by any yardstick; his GAA and sv% are below even his own career average (which is, to be kind, unimpressive) and his sv% this year is 28th in the league while his GAA is 32nd and all this despite the fact that he often gets tough games off (like on the road against Nashville or the other night against Tampa) while getting starts in gimmie games like against Philly the other night (a team on the verge of firing their coach) or St. Louis (Jake Allen says hi). When he starts rolling into places where the home team is leading their divisions and beats them emphatically I may well join the parade but for the time being I'm still on the fence with this guy. If he plays tonight it should be instructive. Should we actually make the playoffs with him as our #1 I predict a swift exit. Most people will blame the defence or Benning or whatever but I still think Marky is a lower echelon starter on his best day.

Allowing one goal against the best team in the Western Conference and a odds-on favorite to play in the Stanley Cup final is hardly chump change.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Allowing one goal against the best team in the Western Conference and a odds-on favorite to play in the Stanley Cup final is hardly chump change.

He had a great game but gave up a so so goal late in the game. His coach has made sure that he won't play the best team in the league this season. His starts are often steered towards the easier teams. He is good not great; numbers don't lie...

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He had a great game but gave up a so so goal late in the game. His coach has made sure that he won't play the best team in the league this season. His starts are often steered towards the easier teams. He is good not great; numbers don't lie...

He isn't great, but good goalies are far better value in regards to the cap that great goalies when you factor in the difference in GA/Game based on save %

Perfect goalie for a team going forward. I'd rather a .913 like he put up last year (behind an awful team that regularly ices Pouliot, Gudbranson and MDZ) at his salary than a .925 for significantly more.

He'll never win the Vezina, but he's the ideal type of goalie for teams in the modern NHL

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
Hopefully Markstrom keeps it up
His stats in his last 7 games are even more impressive
6-1 record .944 save percantage with a 1.57 goals against average

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Markstrom has been terrific all year. He's been getting too much shit for letting goals in early. Save percentage is so strongly affected by defensemen, and ours suck.

I firmly believe that he's capable of a Vezina level season or two like Dubnyk had after getting the f*** out of Edmonton. Hopefully that can happen here with some upgrades in front of him.

Reactions: mossey3535

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

What made it a so so goal? The puck was moved back and forth so he couldn't set his feet, and it was a pretty good shooter taking the shot. It wasn't unsaveable but it was a nice goal. Certainly imo not one I hold against Markstrom.

Markstrom's stats from the past 7,8 games aren't sustainable, but if he can continue to play the way he is now (calm, quiet, showing leadership) and can find some consistency in his game (doesn't have to be .940 s% + 1.50gaa) you have to start wondering if Demko goes on the block. We've all assumed Markstrom is the placeholder for Thatcher, but if Demko has value around the league, I'd be fine extending Markstrom and letting him be the man while Dipietro continues to ripen. Markstrom + an early 2nd vs Demko...want to see how Marky does the rest of the season (and maybe he has trade value at the deadline or in the offseason) but I'm someone who believes that unless you are talking top 5 or bottom 5 goaltending, it doesn't make a huge difference, so take the value even if it means moving Demko.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What made it a so so goal? The puck was moved back and forth so he couldn't set his feet, and it was a pretty good shooter taking the shot. It wasn't unsaveable but it was a nice goal. Certainly imo not one I hold against Markstrom.

It wasn't a screen nor was it tipped and it was short side so IMHO it's not a great goal, just like the one Nilsson gave up to Stamkos (who is also a pretty decent player, no?). Funny how Anders got roasted by just about everybody here for that one and the discussions about his poor side to side movement don't seem to have had any impact on peoples' analysis on Markstrom's technique which showed the same weakness on the goal. I agree that, as a placeholder, he is fine but once our young stars REALLY get into high gear we will need better goaltending to go all the way. Hopefully DiPietro is that guy; I don't think Demko is at this moment in time...

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
It wasn't a screen nor was it tipped and it was short side so IMHO it's not a great goal, just like the one Nilsson gave up to Stamkos (who is also a pretty decent player, no?). Funny how Anders got roasted by just about everybody here for that one and the discussions about his poor side to side movement don't seem to have had any impact on peoples' analysis on Markstrom's technique which showed the same weakness on the goal. I agree that, as a placeholder, he is fine but once our young stars REALLY get into high gear we will need better goaltending to go all the way. Hopefully DiPietro is that guy; I don't think Demko is at this moment in time...

Goal was an Ovie special - one timer from the face-off dot. I guess you're saying that the gazillion PP goals that Ovie scores are weak goals. And while Schiefle is not quite in the same stratosphere as Ovie, he's still one of the best snipers in the league. I guarantee you, he scores that goal from that spot 9 times out of 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->