Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The really difficult part with Markstrom being a UFA after this season is that we essentially need to decide which goalie is our guy going forward with a looming expansion draft.

Do you keep the 30 year old UFA and risk a drop-off in play in his 30's or overpaying with term? This option means either losing Demko in expansion (a guarantee if exposed IMO), trading Demko for another young prospect/pick, or paying Seattle a pick not to select Demko (which is not something a team like the Canucks can afford to do).

Do you go forward with the 24 year old with ~40NHL games under his belt (after this season) and grab a short term FA to split the net with him and keep your goaltending costs low? In this option, you absolutely have to trade Markstrom and get value, otherwise the Luongo trade chain is dead in the water from letting both players walking for nothing,

It's a shame that this situation is unfolding in a year with the wrong incentives though and only short-term objectives in mind (like every year).

Edit: I mistook the expansion draft date for 2020, instead of 2021, but we're still going to have to figure out our situation before expansion and a critical decision on Markstrom will have to be made during this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The really difficult part with Markstrom being a UFA after this season is that we essentially need to decide which goalie is our guy going forward with a looming expansion draft.

Do you keep the 30 year old UFA and risk a drop-off in play in his 30's or overpaying with term? This option means either losing Demko in expansion (a guarantee if exposed IMO), trading Demko for another young prospect/pick, or paying Seattle a pick not to select Demko (which is not something a team like the Canucks can afford to do).

Do you go forward with the 24 year old with ~40NHL games under his belt (after this season) and grab a short term FA to split the net with him and keep your goaltending costs low? In this option, you absolutely have to trade Markstrom and get value, otherwise the Luongo trade chain is dead in the water from letting both players walking for nothing,

It's a shame that this situation is unfolding in a year with the wrong incentives though and only short-term objectives in mind (like every year).

Ideally we extend Markstrom for another year and then re-evaluate. But let's face it, when we signed Markstrom to his current contract, we were hoping that he would establish himself as a bonafide #1 goalie by now and if not there's really no issue with letting him go. What wasn't expected was his play towards the second half of last season. In any case, any extension for Markstrom should not come with expansion draft protection.

There's still time to figure things out. Goalie tandems are important and there's nothing wrong with having two #1 calibre goalies. Demko may not be ready to take over a 1A/1B role. Markstrom might play like a Vezina contender. I don't really see it as a bad thing to let Markstrom play out the year and evaluate our goaltending situation then. If we aren't in playoff contention then ya we should decide on what to do with Markstrom before the deadline.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ideally we extend Markstrom for another year and then re-evaluate. But let's face it, when we signed Markstrom to his current contract, we were hoping that he would establish himself as a bonafide #1 goalie by now and if not there's really no issue with letting him go. What wasn't expected was his play towards the second half of last season. In any case, any extension for Markstrom should not come with expansion draft protection.

There's still time to figure things out. Goalie tandems are important and there's nothing wrong with having two #1 calibre goalies. Demko may not be ready to take over a 1A/1B role. Markstrom might play like a Vezina contender. I don't really see it as a bad thing to let Markstrom play out the year and evaluate our goaltending situation then. If we aren't in playoff contention then ya we should decide on what to do with Markstrom before the deadline.

Totally. It all comes down to the cost/term to extend, and whether he will sign without expansion protection. My main issue is that we're already a cap strapped team and can't easily sign our very few actually good players without even thinking about it—like, we have to be extremely careful with cap space over the next 2-3 years and can't hamstring ourselves more than we already are.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If Markstrom duplicates his performance from last year, he is getting $6-7 million at minimum.

He probably should have been a Vezina finalist.

NHL.com just released their list of the "Top 10 NHL Goalies". Then they added the list of the next five that didn't make the list. Marky didn't make either list. He played fantastic for the Canucks last season, especially the 2nd half, but I think numbers were a big factor in who was selected. Darren Pang was quoted in their rundown of every selection. Nevertheless, it was an impressive list.

Think most of us can agree that the Canucks have a long ways to go to measure up to the league's better teams. They all have "real gud" players, but more leading them as well and their peripheral players are much better than what Vancouver is icing. Too many lower level, big $ contracts, with too many years along with a cap squeeze will keep it that way for now.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
It's really too bad that Seattle has their expansion draft because it throws a wrench in the Canucks goaltending situation. Finally the Canucks have two goalies who are capable of being number ones. Markstrom was sensational this year, easily the Canucks MVP. While Demko is waiting right on the doorstep.
Play both goalies a lot this year, maybe giving the 60-40 edge to Marky. Make the big decision on who to keep, by mid next year.
Both goalies make great cases on why they'd make great starting goaltenders for the Canucks.
Markstrom looked like Patrick Roy at times last year. While Demko has excelled at every level of hockey he's played. He's itching for an opportunity.
Both goalies could also make great trade bait too. Markstrom could probably garner a late first or an early 2 rounder. Demko packaged could probably get you a decent younger player or prospect.
Eitherway it's going to be a tough decision for Benning. Markstrom's potential salary could be what seals the deal for him. It's going to be fun watching these two push eachother this year, and see who eventually becomes the prominent starter.

Hard to go against Marky with how well he played this year, but I personally would probably keep Demko. Demko just suits our youth movement, and it would suck to see him prevail somewhere else. Especially since we've waited so long for him to develop.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It's really too bad that Seattle has their expansion draft because it throws a wrench in the Canucks goaltending situation. Finally the Canucks have two goalies who are capable of being number ones. Markstrom was sensational this year, easily the Canucks MVP. While Demko is waiting right on the doorstep.
Play both goalies a lot this year, maybe giving the 60-40 edge to Marky. Make the big decision on who to keep, by mid next year.
Both goalies make great cases on why they'd make great starting goaltenders for the Canucks.
Markstrom looked like Patrick Roy at times last year. While Demko has excelled at every level of hockey he's played. He's itching for an opportunity.
Both goalies could also make great trade bait too. Markstrom could probably garner a late first or an early 2 rounder. Demko packaged could probably get you a decent younger player or prospect.
Eitherway it's going to be a tough decision for Benning. Markstrom's potential salary could be what seals the deal for him. It's going to be fun watching these two push eachother this year, and see who eventually becomes the prominent starter.

Hard to go against Marky with how well he played this year, but I personally would probably keep Demko. Demko just suits our youth movement, and it would suck to see him prevail somewhere else. Especially since we've waited so long for him to develop.

Too wordy, let me help you: "goalie controversy"

jk, excellent post

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I think we may see Jacob Markstrom traded before the seasons out. It would be nice to get a 1st and a mediocre /decent goalie back. Maybe someone with some salary still on the books for another year or two. If Demko shows he's ready I'd love to see him split the crease with another experienced tender who can be his 1B. 45-37 split type deal.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think we may see Jacob Markstrom traded before the seasons out. It would be nice to get a 1st and a mediocre /decent goalie back. Maybe someone with some salary still on the books for another year or two. If Demko shows he's ready I'd love to see him split the crease with another experienced tender who can be his 1B. 45-37 split type deal.
No way he's going to get us a 1st. If he had that kind of value, there would be no reason to trade him.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

2aeql8h.gif

Yeah...gonna have to say that's just a tiny bit unrealistic based on the trading returns ol' Jimbo's managed to wrangle in the past.

Also unrealistic seeing as how the Canucks would've been lucky to win 20 games without him last season. Demko hasn't shown he's anywhere near ready for the #1 spot.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
2aeql8h.gif

Yeah...gonna have to say that's just a tiny bit unrealistic based on the trading returns ol' Jimbo's managed to wrangle in the past.

Also unrealistic seeing as how the Canucks would've been lucky to win 20 games without him last season. Demko hasn't shown he's anywhere near ready for the #1 spot.
It would match what Jim has been telling us. The kids will play this year when they are ready. I can see Demko splitting the duties with Markstrom in a 33/66 split. Then if Demko proves himself competnent they could then move Marky for a pick and a stable goaltender with some xp. I'm thinking like a Talbot or someone who has had some struggles can play when needed. Then we could see those 2 tenders play together for a year or two well Demko and DiPietro get groomed.

Jim said he plans on getting a 1st this year via trade. IMO we only have a few options to do that. Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen? I'm not saying Markstrom would fetch us a top 15 pick but possibly a 20 to 31 pick. I could see San Jose being interested too if Jones shows inconsistency some more into next season. Calgary definitely could use a new starter. There are a lot of teams that would be interested in his services. It just depends on if Demko is ready and if a GM is willing to pay the price. I don't think getting locked into a termed contract with Markstrom when Demko could be ready so soon is what the organization wants to do. Demko could get upset and request a trade.. I personally would rather keep the 24 year old goalkeeper with lots of potential left over the 30 year old Markstrom who will be in the decline in his later years of any big extension. (Maybe he plays good into his mid to late 30's but I wouldn't hold my breath)

33% of games for Demko would be 27 game pace for the season. Jim and Travis said 20-25 games for this year is the goal. They are backing Markstrom as a component starter but they have made it clear it's about the younger players. The wording Benning used to describe Markstrom recently imo implies they see him as "a starter". He never once says "our starter" or "the future of the canucks" in any of his recent media. Unless Markstrom takes a sweetheart deal. I would be surprised we re-sign him unless they plan to move Demko.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It would match what Jim has been telling us. The kids will play this year when they are ready. I can see Demko splitting the duties with Markstrom in a 33/66 split. Then if Demko proves himself competnent they could then move Marky for a pick and a stable goaltender with some xp. I'm thinking like a Talbot or someone who has had some struggles can play when needed. Then we could see those 2 tenders play together for a year or two well Demko and DiPietro get groomed.

Jim said he plans on getting a 1st this year via trade. IMO we only have a few options to do that. Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen? I'm not saying Markstrom would fetch us a top 15 pick but possibly a 20 to 31 pick. I could see San Jose being interested too if Jones shows inconsistency some more into next season. Calgary definitely could use a new starter. There are a lot of teams that would be interested in his services. It just depends on if Demko is ready and if a GM is willing to pay the price. I don't think getting locked into a termed contract with Markstrom when Demko could be ready so soon is what the organization wants to do. Demko could get upset and request a trade.. I personally would rather keep the 24 year old goalkeeper with lots of potential left over the 30 year old Markstrom who will be in the decline in his later years of any big extension. (Maybe he plays good into his mid to late 30's but I wouldn't hold my breath)

33% of games for Demko would be 27 game pace for the season. Jim and Travis said 20-25 games for this year is the goal. They are backing Markstrom as a component starter but they have made it clear it's about the younger players. The wording Benning used to describe Markstrom recently imo implies they see him as "a starter". He never once says "our starter" or "the future of the canucks" in any of his recent media. Unless Markstrom takes a sweetheart deal. I would be surprised we re-sign him unless they plan to move Demko.
Goaltending is just about the only position on the team that looks to have good depth. Getting ready to lose Markstrom is getting way ahead of themselves. Demko hasn't even served an entire year as backup. He's played all of 10 NHL games, ffs. It's far too soon for any kind of meaningful evaluation as an NHL goalie.

And given Benning's been a miserable failure at recouping picks for ones he's traded for five solid years, I have exactly zero faith that he'll suddenly learn how in year 6.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Goaltending is just about the only position on the team that looks to have good depth. Getting ready to lose Markstrom is getting way ahead of themselves. Demko hasn't even served an entire year as backup. He's played all of 10 NHL games, ffs. It's far too soon for any kind of meaningful evaluation as an NHL goalie.

And given Benning's been a miserable failure at recouping picks for ones he's traded for five solid years, I have exactly zero faith that he'll suddenly learn how in year 6.
I agree it is to soon to evaluate Demko's play in the NHL. Jim and his staff would use the bulk of this season as a trial run to see if Demko can be an effective goaltender this year. I believe he can be an effective trader when he's in a position of strength. I can respect the fact you have no faith. I think Boeser's extension should give some confidence in his ability. I think he will get us a reasonable deal like he did for us with Horvat and Edler. He has been very effective in re-signing key players aside from Eriksson falling off of a cliff since coming to Vancouver.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I agree it is to soon to evaluate Demko's play in the NHL. Jim and his staff would use the bulk of this season as a trial run to see if Demko can be an effective goaltender this year. I believe he can be an effective trader when he's in a position of strength. I can respect the fact you have no faith. I think Boeser's extension should give some confidence in his ability. I think he will get us a reasonable deal like he did for us with Horvat and Edler. He has been very effective in re-signing key players aside from Eriksson falling off of a cliff since coming to Vancouver.
Boeser's extension? Which one is that?

And lemme guess...those positions of strength happen...ooo once every five or six years? That about right?

*edit* Benning's deals from a position of strength...yeah. Both the Sutter and Miller deals were done with teams facing a cap crunch who needed to shed salary. The only time Benning's ever aware of having any kind of leverage in negotiations is when he's dealing with a leftover from the Gillis years.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Just heard a brief clip of Kevin Woodley's interview with 1040 this morning.

Prior to last night, Markstrom has faced the 6th toughest situation for a goalie in terms of shot quality this season. The "improved" defense isn't actually improved.

The teams/goalies he's behind are: Jones (Sj), Hart (Philly), Lundqvist (NYR), Bobrovksy (FLA), and Grubauer (Col).

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Markstrom has had a trying season personally, but he's sucked it up and given the Canucks stellar netminding for the most part.

And that's what really hurts....because there isn't a chance in the world the Canucks will re-sign him to a substantial raise before he hits the UFA market on July 1st. Maybe if Demko had struggled or DiPietro had faltered badly at the AHL level, they might have thought about it.

But the best option now is a trade. Looking around the league, there are a few teams riding their starter like a broken down nag. TO comes to mind. What happens if Freddie Anderson were to go down with an injury? Or the Bolts, who are riding Vasilevsky hard with only career backup McElhenny in relief....or the Hurricanes who need a goalie--read 'any' goalie if they expect to do anything in the playoffs.

So a major injury could open the door to a Markstrom trade. If it happens, it would still be sad to see him go. A consummate professional, who's rebuilt his game in VanCity and has done everything the club has ever asked of him. But that's just the business side of hockey.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

I know last night was a kick in the berries, and it's important to cover the sports scandals as well, but I figure we can never have enough of these types of clips.

One guy who lost his Father last season offering condolences to an opponent in the same position. Good stuff.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I buy the argument about the expansion draft making it impossible to keep both. Unless we're a bottom feeder like we were back in 2017, we are going to lose a player of value. The cup champs lost a young offensive defenceman in Nate Schmidt (to the team they played in the finals no less). The Penguins lost Fleury. Other contenders made some moves to prevent losing key players (and even made things worse in the process). Losing a goaltender, whether it be Markstrom or Demko isn't going be the end of the world. If we are at a point where either of those goalies are the most attractive pieces in the expansion draft, it likely means we either aren't a very good team, or both of those guys are playing at an elite level, making them tradeable assets at season's end.

On the other hand,the terms of Markstrom's contract are still important. Of course a major long term commitment making him a top 5 paid NHL goalie isn't the wisest move if we feel we have a younger, cheaper guy to handle a bigger load. Particularly if that contract makes him untradeable/unexposable. But if its a reasonable number, the fact that we have another capable NHL goalie doesn't disqualify us from signing another. The NHL has proven that having 2 goalies is essential to getting through the long season and potentially long playoff grind. Not to mention, should one clearly rise above the other to the point of creating discontent, trades are indeed possible. Even with Luongo's albatross contract we still got Markstrom in return, along with a decent NHL body in Matthias.

Reactions: 420Canuck

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Markstrom has had a trying season personally, but he's sucked it up and given the Canucks stellar netminding for the most part.

And that's what really hurts....because there isn't a chance in the world the Canucks will re-sign him to a substantial raise before he hits the UFA market on July 1st. Maybe if Demko had struggled or DiPietro had faltered badly at the AHL level, they might have thought about it.

But the best option now is a trade. Looking around the league, there are a few teams riding their starter like a broken down nag. TO comes to mind. What happens if Freddie Anderson were to go down with an injury? Or the Bolts, who are riding Vasilevsky hard with only career backup McElhenny in relief....or the Hurricanes who need a goalie--read 'any' goalie if they expect to do anything in the playoffs.

So a major injury could open the door to a Markstrom trade. If it happens, it would still be sad to see him go. A consummate professional, who's rebuilt his game in VanCity and has done everything the club has ever asked of him. But that's just the business side of hockey.

I mean.... if we trade Marky and Demko goes down with an injury.... we're pretty much pooped too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

So, you are banking on an injury in order to move him?

TB has just under $2 million in available cap space, so they can absorb Markstrom's contract (assuming a G comes the other way) anytime starting now. Toronto and Carolina are really tight to the cap, so would need an injury to acquire the cap hit.

That's the issue with trading goalies. Only a handful of teams would be looking. Some teams that are looking likely fall out of the playoff race or are already out, like Columbus/Detroit/Ottawa.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean.... if we trade Marky and Demko goes down with an injury.... we're pretty much pooped too.
Sounds like the expectation would be that the season would be basically over if Marky is traded this season.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
according to swedish media; markstorm is close signing a new contract with canucks.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Hopefully not an overpayment
Though looking at the term and clasue, we can tell who does the org choose between him and Demko
apparently Markstrom has been outspoken that he likes it in vancouver and wants to stay. Might take a discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad