Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Are we going to be able to afford Marky?
They have 1/3 of the cap Or $27 mill allocated to Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Sven, Ferland, Lu recapture, Spooner buyout.

factor in Edler, Myers, Miller, Pearson that is another $21 mill. $48 mill there. So $33 mill left after that. Of the guys I name only 9 were on the active roster. Lu, Sven, Spooner not on. So need 14 roster spots left.

markstrom, TT, Tanev on the open market will cost around $16 mill, so half the available cap left. With rookie bonuses to Petey and Quinn can they really fit everyone?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Normally I'm against signing UFA that are over 30 years old to term and big money, but for Markstrom I'll make an exception. I know from cap management POV, playing Demko with a 1B might be cheaper and "safer" for the long term, but Markstrom is just so good right now, top 5 (arguably higher) in his position. I'm ok giving him both (reasonably) top dollar with term and trade protection. But still no way I give him the Bobovsky's contract though.

There's a lot of goalies on this upcoming UFA market, but really only Marky and Lehner are top flight guys.

Hard to say what Marky will get because goalie contracts seem to be pretty kooky and all over the place. You got Lehner signing 1 year deals, Bob at 10 million, and Varlamov getting big term for some reason.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
They have 1/3 of the cap Or $27 mill allocated to Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Sven, Ferland, Lu recapture, Spooner buyout.

factor in Edler, Myers, Miller, Pearson that is another $21 mill. $48 mill there. So $33 mill left after that. Of the guys I name only 9 were on the active roster. Lu, Sven, Spooner not on. So need 14 roster spots left.

markstrom, TT, Tanev on the open market will cost around $16 mill, so half the available cap left. With rookie bonuses to Petey and Quinn can they really fit everyone?

Benning has to move Eriksson and possibly Sutter without taking a contract back, maybe buyout Ferland. He has to fix the mess he created with these contracts. My only concern with Markstrom is he could be a bad contract in a few seasons and we would have to move Demko. I almost think Canucks are best to let Markstrom walk and sign a solid back up for Demko, is Markstrom really worth a 6x6 deal at 30 years old?

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
That may be a generous statement. More likely Canucks would have been done in 4.
Not really buying this narrative. Canucks deserved to win the first two games of this series, goaltending aside. But Markstrom has been making me wonder if we win in 2011 with him--current version--as our goalie?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Not really buying this narrative. Canucks deserved to win the first two games of this series, goaltending aside. But Markstrom has been making me wonder if we win in 2011 with him--current version--as our goalie?

Luongo is/was the better goalie...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Markstrom stands on his head again, and steals game six or seven for the Canucks, I think there's the genesis of a real debate here.

Let's be perfectly candid here. Luongo was clearly outplayed by Tim Thomas in that fateful Cup final in 2011. With even decent goaltending, particularly in Boston, the Canucks have their first Stanley Cup.

Reactions: supercanuck

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Really? Even yesterday’s game without heroics of Markstrom they lose, which would be 5 in a row St Louis was better is swapped goalies.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Really? Even yesterday’s game without heroics of Markstrom they lose, which would be 5 in a row St Louis was better is swapped goalies.

Regardless of Markstrom Canucks win game 1/2 backed up with stats.

Game1:
Screen_Shot_2020-08-20_at_5.27.32_PM.png

Game 2:
Screen_Shot_2020-08-20_at_5.27.42_PM.png

Markstrom stole one game (5) and almost stole game (3)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think there's different versions of Luongo. His first season here, including his playoff performances, was terrific. After he got the captaincy and with those Chicago meltdowns (and injuries along the way) he wasn't the same. There were of course other distractions in his life such as his wife and troubled pregnancy.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I think there's different versions of Luongo. His first season here, including his playoff performances, was terrific. After he got the captaincy and with those Chicago meltdowns (and injuries along the way) he wasn't the same. There were of course other distractions in his life such as his wife and troubled pregnancy.

Luongo is quite easily the greatest goaltender in Canucks history. Sadly, my memories of him are the Chicago meltdowns as you call it, Game 3, 4, 6 in Boston, and the Heritage Classic debacle.

Reactions: F A N

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Vancouver was outplayed in game 1 and only won because Markstrom was excellent while Binnington was doing an impression of 1997-era Jim Carey.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Vancouver was outplayed in game 1 and only won because Markstrom was excellent while Binnington was doing an impression of 1997-era Jim Carey.

This narrative needs to die. The Canucks had the better chances and higher expected goals for that game. Game 1 was easily their best game.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Regardless of Markstrom Canucks win game 1/2 backed up with stats.

Game1:
Screen_Shot_2020-08-20_at_5.27.32_PM.png

Game 2:
Screen_Shot_2020-08-20_at_5.27.42_PM.png

Markstrom stole one game (5) and almost stole game (3)

Even yesterday's game comes up as 52.5% for the Canucks. Markstrom made two big saves when it was 3-1 to keep the score from getting worse, but from there the rest of the team took control from about the 30 - 55 minute marks. St. Louis barely got a sniff in that stretch.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This narrative needs to die. The Canucks had the better chances and higher expected goals for that game. Game 1 was easily their best game.

I don't care what a computer says. Watching that game, it was pretty obvious that we were outplayed and that Binnington was absolute garbage. 5 goals on 22 shots. We generated nothing at ES in that game.

Reactions: I am toxic

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I don't care what a computer says. Watching that game, it was pretty obvious that we were outplayed and that Binnington was absolute garbage. 5 goals on 22 shots. We generated nothing at ES in that game.

Whatever floats your boat

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

I take a 30 year old Luongo over a 30 Markstrom everyday! I really like Markstrom and he’s had an outstanding season, Luongo played a long career at this level.

Reactions: F A N

sosallycanwait

Aug 20, 2020

Not sure the plan is to fit everyone in.
Marky according to Benning is top of the list followed by Tanev and TT.
If zero players are moved Benning will have 17-21 million depending on if Ferland is put on LTIR.
I do think Baer will be off the books and I don't see Stech or Fanta back next season.
Tanev I hope is back and I see him making less then what he makes now and maybe gets a little more term to balance it out. TT I'm not sold on him coming back, he looked great in 10 games but was trending down before that and with Podz and Hogs coming the wing is our strongest position depth wise. However if Ferland is done it opens up money to sign him but I would prefer any extra cap to go to adding a RHD that is an upgrade on Stech.
I think until we know what's happening with Baer, Ferland and LE, Stech etc, it's moot trying to figure things out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I take a 30 year old Luongo over a 30 Markstrom everyday! I really like Markstrom and he’s had an outstanding season, Luongo played a long career at this level.

I agree. I think Luongo at his best was the better goaltender. He was certainly more athletic. I think many posters here underestimate how rare it is for a #1 goalie to stay an undisputed goalie for 6+ years in this league. That's why it was so ridiculous to suggest that Lack had "outplayed" Luongo in his backup capacity and think that Lack was the better goaltender.

Markstrom is a different beast though. He is very much a late bloomer. Can he suddenly start struggling and fall off the map? I think he can. But I do think he is the real deal and in his prime right now. That's kind of the struggle right now. Demko is still very much just potential while Markstrom is a top 10 goalie now and likely have a few prime years ahead of him.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Markstrom stands on his head again, and steals game six or seven for the Canucks, I think there's the genesis of a real debate here.

Let's be perfectly candid here. Luongo was clearly outplayed by Tim Thomas in that fateful Cup final in 2011. With even decent goaltending, particularly in Boston, the Canucks have their first Stanley Cup.

Canucks scored 3 goals in Boston. All 3 of the goals was in the third period and the game was decided already.

Let's say Luongo gives up 3 goals Canucks still will lose all 3 games

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Do you think signing Markstrom to a "one-year" deal is realistic? This is the scenario that I had in mind:

• Sign Markstrom to a 1-year deal at a large cap-hit (eg 8 or 9 or 10 million — whatever they can afford under the 20-21 cap)
  • This one-year deal comes with an understanding that a 2nd long-term contract would be signed immediately after the Seattle expansion draft.
  • The sum of the two contracts would be the $6.0m-7.0m average that he would otherwise get if he signed his long-term extension this year.

It would allow Markstrom to get paid, it would give the Canucks marginally more cap-flexibility as of 21-22 when Pettersson and Hughes need new deals, and it would allow Vancouver to protect Demko at the Seattle expansion draft.

That being said—there would be risk for the player and the team. What if Markstrom has a terrible year or god-forbid suffers a career altering injury? What if Markstrom has a tremendous year and wants a larger 2nd deal?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I still don't think the market for Markstrom would be all that great, although it only takes one team. The cost to re-sign him, however, has gone up since the playoffs started and deservedly so.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Do you think signing Markstrom to a "one-year" deal is realistic? This is the scenario that I had in mind:

• Sign Markstrom to a 1-year deal at a large cap-hit (eg 8 or 9 or 10 million — whatever they can afford under the 20-21 cap)
  • This one-year deal comes with an understanding that a 2nd long-term contract would be signed immediately after the Seattle expansion draft.
  • The sum of the two contracts would be the $6.0m-7.0m average that he would otherwise get if he signed his long-term extension this year.

It would allow Markstrom to get paid, it would give the Canucks marginally more cap-flexibility as of 21-22 when Pettersson and Hughes need new deals, and it would allow Vancouver to protect Demko at the Seattle expansion draft.

That being said—there would be risk for the player and the team. What if Markstrom has a terrible year or god-forbid suffers a career altering injury? What if Markstrom has a tremendous year and wants a larger 2nd deal?

I don't know if this is circumvention, but even if it isn't, the bolded of what you said is exactly why neither party would be comfortable with it (mostly Marky - he definitely wants term)

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
What Markstrom did in Game 5 was completely change the momentum of the game--and more importantly--the series. Luongo's play always seemed to go with the momentum of the game, meaning if the Canucks were dominating, he would dominate, but if the Canucks were getting caved in, he would cave in. Luongo was an exceptionally talented goaltender who has accomplished much more than Markstrom, yet Markstrom did something in Game 5 that I never saw Luongo do for the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad