Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Happy for Marky. He got the exact deal any free agent goalie should get in the one window he can actually make money. The NMC is icing on the cake for him.

There was no way in hell we would offer that deal. Thanks for the memories!

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Very happy for Marky, he gets the money and term that he deserved. Sad day for Canucks fans, but I'm happy to have Demko still, and see how he develops into a #1. Good for Marky, bad for the Canucks.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Happy for Marky, ecstatic for us. Holtby is IMHO a better goalie, hell even his stats last year (bar save %) were better than Marky's (who, despite having a couple of solid years STILL has a losing record in the NHL) and even though he had a lousy year last year we must remember that Marky hasn't had all that many good years (3 by my count) and is now, at least IMHO, a bit injury prone. 6 X 6 is getting into Loui Eriksson territory.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I think there is far too much confidence in Demko. Don’t get me wrong, he had just and incredible few games a month ago. No doubt. But wow last year there were some big holes in his game. Time will tell what happens of course but I wouldn’t be expecting Demko to do what Markstrom has doing for this team. And that’s not a slight really, as I don’t think you should be expecting Vezina caliber goaltending...which is what Markstrom has been providing for 2+ seasons.

This isn’t moving on from Cloutier. It’s not even a Luongo-Schneider situation where you had two legitimate top flight guys with outstanding numbers. This is moving on from your starter who is arguably top 5 in the league right now and going with the guy who hasn’t exactly shown to be much more than a competent back up. Young yes but he wasn’t pushing like Schneider was or like other young goalies do before they are handed the net.

To have to make that decision because of a multitude of other sins doesn’t excuse it. Especially when the deal signed isn’t actually horrendous. Coming out of a flat cap in a couple of years the last couple of years of the deal aren’t going to be an albatross.

Ideal world to me was keep both goaltenders and look to move on down the road when you have a little more confidence Demko is ready. Heck even in the non-ideal Jim Benning world that money can still work and by you time to get out from the mess that was made with the other contracts.

I hope Demko works out I really do, but today IMO the Canucks got a lot worse.
To clarify: its moving on from your starter who is top 5 while giving him to your divisional rival.

Giving as in the literal defintion of giving. Maybe gifting is a better word.

Reactions: tantalum

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
I'm happy for Markstrom.

He deserves the big payday.

And now that he got it, I wish him years of taking-it-easy & relaxation in Cowtown.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Markstrom third greatest/best goalie in Canucks history? Stole the team many games over the past two seasons.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I get the fact that $6m X 6 seasons with a NMC is far beyond what the Canucks could offer for Markstrom.

The only question to be asked and answered, is whether or not the Canucks are being forced to move on from players like Marky, Tanev, Stecher and Tofoli because of the awful money and term for players like Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Baertschi, Myers and Ferland.

Obviously the answer is an unqualified 'yes', which makes their departures that much tougher to swallow.

Reactions: I am toxic

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Markstrom

-Vancouver will always have a big place in my heart. I spent so many years there and made friends for life both in hockey and outside

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Bittersweet feeling. There was no way we could go into the expansion draft with Markstrom and Demko. There was no way we could give 6 years and full protection. I'm happy that he gets absolute security after years of battling and growing his game. He finally gets the deal that says, "I did it, and I was worth it". I think it's a risk for Calgary but Marky's best years just might be right in front of him.

He gave us everything, every night. Sad to see him go.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Happy that he got paid, but sad to see someone that we brought in and groomed into a legit Vezina and Hart candidate leave for a rival team. He should continue to be one of the best goalies (if not THE best) in the NHL over the next 2 to 3 years.

Best of luck Marky.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
As am I. Could not have worked out better for the team. Well, they could have traded his rights or rebuilt the team properly so as to not have to rely on a 31 year old pending FA, but aside from that, elated. Demko is who I wanted them to run with.

When the next GM takes over, he's going to have Demko-Hughes-Pettersson as the backbone of this team. That's a good base.
I’m still not getting how Demko computes in this picture. I hope I’m wrong, but he still hasnt proven capability as a solid #1. Now of course with Holtby we have a 1a/1b situation so things may work out just fine on that part of the ice. But in any case its gonna take alot more to put him on the same plain as those guys. Hughes/Petterson/Horvat yes.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Going to be really gross seeing him in all red Calgary Flames gear.

Especially so frequently.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Braden Holtby is exactly four months older than Markstrom....kinda surprising because the seems to have been around forever.

If it's any consolation to Canuck fans, a long-term deal for somebody who's over 30 almost never works out in the end. The Flames had better pray that both Markstrom and Tanev can actually stay healthy.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Happy Marky got a payday. Not sure there was a harder working player for us.
cb5eb1a731c856f83c1d65e8a5efec7b.jpg

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I can't see any way of placing him ahead of any of Luongo, McLean, Brodeur.

i’d say tied for fourth with gary suitcase smith. they both started three seasons and had roughly equivalent accomplishments carrying garbage teams. only difference was marky also had two years backing up ryan miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad