Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Certainly don’t blame Markstrom. I do however have to question losing your most valuable player to a cap crunch. Make no mistake, even if the Canucks signed him to the same deal, that deal wouldn’t be the cap crippling one on the roster in the foreseeable.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Im sad. Marky was our best player these past two years...

I dont understand the rush to sign Holtby.
I feel my ability to give a f*** about this team slowly wane.
It feels like watching a car crash in slow motion and having everyone around you tell you how its fiiiine its gonna be just fiiiine. Sigh.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
This sucks. I know we cant/shouldnt have done that deal with him but I'm pissed off. Hate losing one of my favourite Canucks to the Flames.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Rather them then Edmonton. Any day of the week.

The last thing that team needs is franchise goaltending.

My hatred for the Oilers is 1/100th of the Flames. I don't even really hate the Oilers. Flames are one of our true rivals fuelled by years of playoff battles with us usually losing.

Reactions: mathonwy

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I loved Marky but that deal isn't going to age well for the Flames, I'm glad we weren't the ones who signed it. Happy for Markstrom to get paid but that deal would've been terrible for us longterm.

Reactions: bbud

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I loved Marky but that deal isn't going to age well for the Flames, I'm glad we weren't the ones who signed it. Happy for Markstrom to get paid but that deal would've been terrible for us longterm.

Okay, if 6x6 really is the going rate for Marky, I'm glad we moved on.

I mean..

I was 100% opposed to signing Markstrom and in fact wanted to trade him last deadline.

But we are one year removed from an older Bobrovsky getting 7x10! Honestly as the top goalie on the market 6x6 isn't really all that bad. It would have been the wrong move for Vancouver but my jaw isn't on the floor or anything (like it was with Bob.) If the Flames get two Vezina calibre years like Marky gave us last season, they probably get value for that contract.

Reactions: Pip and PM

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Okay, if 6x6 really is the going rate for Marky, I'm glad we moved on.

Hard to see him go but it was the smart and right move.

I think Demko is going to be better long term anyways and fits with the teams young core. Benning finally made a decision with the long term future in mind.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I mean..

I was 100% opposed to signing Markstrom and in fact wanted to trade him last deadline.

But we are one year removed from an older Bobrovsky getting 7x10! Honestly as the top goalie on the market 6x6 isn't really all that bad. It would have been the wrong move for Vancouver but my jaw isn't on the floor or anything (like it was with Bob.) If the Flames get two Vezina calibre years like Marky gave us last season, they probably get value for that contract.
Yeah sure, and 7x10 for Bob was a ball-smashingly stupid move and everyone knew it at the time. Just because 6x6 with full trade protection isn't the worst deal, it's sure as hell not a good one, especially with the cap staying what it is. Love Marky, the team's in the dumpster without him the last couple of years, but fully on board with moving on with Demko and (why not) Holtby.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Great story for Marky to go from waiver wire to getting a 6Mx6 contract in a span of a few years. Don’t count out the significance of Ian Clarke, Canucks will have another solid goaltending tandem in Holtby/Demko.

Reactions: Indiana

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Calgary owes us one now. They gifted us Demko. We gifted them Tkachuk. Now they have Markstrom. Or maybe they have when they drafted Boltmann instead of Jurmo?

Reactions: Indiana

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
True but at some point you have to stop handing out 6 year contracts to 31 year olds, especially with a talented 24 year old ready to step it up.
Exactly.

With a goalie like Demko in the wings, you trade Marky for assets at the TDL.

Or lose him for nothing.

Like Hamhuis.

And Miller.

And Vrbata.

And Tanev.

And Toffoli.

Reactions: PM and Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Biggest offer for Markstrom was 5.5m AAV for 5 years, per Dhaliwal.

Edit: Sekeres is ripping management right now.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I bet the Canucks were not that far off from what the Flames eventually gave him (as far as $ and term) ...the issue was the NMC.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think marky will regret not taking our offer if we went 5.5x5m. he was in a perfect situation.

if we had signed him 6x6 i would have been unhappy but lived with it. i think those who say cap overspend on other players cost us here are right. the snart move is resign this guy and keep a good thing going.

i hope holtby works out.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Really glad we went with demko here. Not a fan of big goalie contracts. he's also gonna be 37 by the time this is over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad