Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Like Markstrom. Went from the "best goalie not in the NHL" label to possible bust to team MVP. Gotta love the story.

Would have been unhappy signing him for 6x$6M because term is deadly, especially with Demko in the wings.

Happy with the way things turned out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i think marky will regret not taking our offer if we went 5.5x5m. he was in a perfect situation.

No. I think Markstrom made the right decision, especially if Vancouver isn't willing to give him expansion draft protection. In Calgary he doesn't need to worry about there being a goalie of the future. He's the man and has has a 6x6M full NMC contract.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
i think marky will regret not taking our offer if we went 5.5x5m. he was in a perfect situation.

if we had signed him 6x6 i would have been unhappy but lived with it. i think those who say cap overspend on other players cost us here are right. the snart move is resign this guy and keep a good thing going.

i hope holtby works out.

Well wonders never cease... Good on you, Krutov.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The worst part about that deal is the NMC. They are just a f***ing killer. You’re locked in for the whole deal, no if ands or buts. Nobody’s taking a 36 year old Markstrom at a 6 million per cap hit.

We did the right thing here. It does suck that he ended up with a direct rival. But there’s nothing else we could have done that made sense.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Like Markstrom. Went from the "best goalie not in the NHL" label to possible bust to team MVP. Gotta love the story.

Would have been unhappy signing him for 6x$6M because term is deadly, especially with Demko in the wings.

Happy with the way things turned out.

As am I. Could not have worked out better for the team. Well, they could have traded his rights or rebuilt the team properly so as to not have to rely on a 31 year old pending FA, but aside from that, elated. Demko is who I wanted them to run with.

When the next GM takes over, he's going to have Demko-Hughes-Pettersson as the backbone of this team. That's a good base.

Reactions: Indiana and iceburg

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think there is far too much confidence in Demko. Don’t get me wrong, he had just and incredible few games a month ago. No doubt. But wow last year there were some big holes in his game. Time will tell what happens of course but I wouldn’t be expecting Demko to do what Markstrom has doing for this team. And that’s not a slight really, as I don’t think you should be expecting Vezina caliber goaltending...which is what Markstrom has been providing for 2+ seasons.

This isn’t moving on from Cloutier. It’s not even a Luongo-Schneider situation where you had two legitimate top flight guys with outstanding numbers. This is moving on from your starter who is arguably top 5 in the league right now and going with the guy who hasn’t exactly shown to be much more than a competent back up. Young yes but he wasn’t pushing like Schneider was or like other young goalies do before they are handed the net.

To have to make that decision because of a multitude of other sins doesn’t excuse it. Especially when the deal signed isn’t actually horrendous. Coming out of a flat cap in a couple of years the last couple of years of the deal aren’t going to be an albatross.

Ideal world to me was keep both goaltenders and look to move on down the road when you have a little more confidence Demko is ready. Heck even in the non-ideal Jim Benning world that money can still work and by you time to get out from the mess that was made with the other contracts.

I hope Demko works out I really do, but today IMO the Canucks got a lot worse.

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think there is far too much confidence in Demko. Don’t get me wrong, he had just and incredible few games a month ago. No doubt. But wow last year there were some big holes in his game. Time will tell what happens of course but I wouldn’t be expecting Demko to do what Markstrom has doing for this team. And that’s not a slight really, as I don’t think you should be expecting Vezina caliber goaltending...which is what Markstrom has been providing for 2+ seasons.

This isn’t moving on from Cloutier. It’s not even a Luongo-Schneider situation where you had two legitimate top flight guys with outstanding numbers. This is moving on from your starter who is arguably top 5 in the league right now and going with the guy who hasn’t exactly shown to be much more than a competent back up. Young yes but he wants pushing like Schneider was or like other young goalies do before they are handed the net.

To have to make that decision because of a multitude of other sins doesn’t excuse it. Especially when the deal signed isn’t actually horrendous. Coming out of a flat cap in a couple of years the last couple of years of the deal aren’t going to be an albatross.

Ideal world to me was keep both goaltenders and look to move on down the road when you have a little more confidence Demko is ready. Heck even in the non-ideal Jim Benning world that money can still work and by you time to get out from the mess that was made with the other contracts.

I hope Demko works ou I really do, but today IMO the Canucks got a lot worse.
We definitely did get worse today. But probably better tomorrow.

Reactions: Indiana

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Im sad. Marky was our best player these past two years...

I dont understand the rush to sign Holtby.
I feel my ability to give a f*** about this team slowly wane.
It feels like watching a car crash in slow motion and having everyone around you tell you how its fiiiine its gonna be just fiiiine. Sigh.
It's yet another step away from being a contender.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
We lost our MVP and we solved our closest historical rival’s most critical franchise flaw.

For the first time in forever we have a question mark in our blue paint because nobody in our front office can look beyond their nose when it comes to making decisions for the long term betterment of this franchise.

And Calgary just became legit contenders because Markstrom is that good.

Just when Marky is busting out, we lose him to Calgary.

This here is some bullshit.

God damn f***.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
We lost our MVP and we solved our closest historical rival’s most critical franchise flaw.

For the first time in forever we have a question mark in our blue paint because nobody in our front office can look beyond their nose when it comes to making decisions for the long term betterment of this franchise.

God damn f***.
Goaltending is not Calgary's most critical flaw lol

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

God damn f***.
First time in forever? Markstrom has been great the last two years but we had big question marks before that with Lack as our starter and some other mediocre goalies after we traded Luongo.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would like to see the team do it's best.

Not see the GM mortgage the future to prolong his disastrous tenure here. Mediocrity purgatory in a cap world with loser OT points is one step above watching the '80's Canucks getting mocked by the Oilers.

To think what the future could have been with Pettersson-Hughes-Demko, good cap utility outside of them and at least mid-level trades? I don't even want to think about it.

------

I forgot to say this in my earlier posts about Markstrom: Thank you for your service. Way back when Gillis traded for him, I had a side discussion with poster @Proto. He said, wouldn't it be something to have a better goalie return for a that (now) terrible contract? [paraphrasing]. Boy did that trade ever work out for VAN. High end starting goalie out of a negative asset in Luongo.

Kudos to Markstrom on his development and his raw passion to get better. What a story his career has been here.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Happy to see Marky get paid and wish him all the best. He was outstanding the past few years and it's sad to see that it's time to part ways. Could tell he was a big part of the room and never pointed fingers when things didn't go his way.

Demko has some big shoes to fill.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

God damn f***.
Legit contenders..?...bit of a stretch..Last I heard ,was that Johnny Hockey might be shipped out... and their top D man will be 40 in three years...

We would have lost one of Markstrom , or Demko.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

This isn’t moving on from Cloutier. It’s not even a Luongo-Schneider situation where you had two legitimate top flight guys with outstanding numbers. This is moving on from your starter who is arguably top 5 in the league right now and going with the guy who hasn’t exactly shown to be much more than a competent back up. Young yes but he wasn’t pushing like Schneider was or like other young goalies do before they are handed the net.

I hope Demko works out I really do, but today IMO the Canucks got a lot worse.

Ya, that’s true, but we not have 5.35mil committed to goaltending next season rather than 7.05mil. But your right, our goaltending is once again a question mark going into next season and with a worse team in front.

I personally think it was the right decision, and I think the next few years are going to be really hard for the Canucks with these bad contracts as well as a flat cap. We will likely have to take advantage of deadline rentals to complete our team as to take advantage of an extrapolated cap hit.

Other teams will be challenged by the flat cap as well, and there will likely be a ton of bargains to be had as a result.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Markstrom is over 30 and has gotten season ending injuries at key times. Flames are going to discover that when he goes down just when they need him. Good for him 6x6 - no way we should offer that to anyone.

OTOH, I don't trust Holtby and Demko hasn't proven he's good for the long haul. He's great but he's yet to sustain it.

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->