Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Time for Benning to fish or cut bait. Sign Marky and trade Demko, or let Marky walk. The longer Benning waits; the worse the return for Demko.
? So Demko's value will be less Saturday then today? Why? None of the UFA's are similar to 24 year old getting paid 1 million next year. Is a team interested in ufa's really going to give more to get Demko today than Saturday. Demko has huge value to the Canucks for the upcoming season, where do they get a good 1 million dollar replacement? If they sign Markstrom they need Demko, if they do not sign Markstrom they need Demko. If Demko is valuable beyond his contract he will still have value at trade deadline or even next off season before expansion draft.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The source is an article from The Athletic.

I had a glance at it. Basically, the author of the article is quoting an anonymous NHL goalie coach who said he heard Vancouver is offering Markstrom 7 years.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dhaliwal this morning on 1040 saying rumoured Oilers will to go 7 million per (five year term) for Marky. Calgary rumoured to go 6 times 6.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Signing one of the best goaltenders the last three years isn’t what screws up the cap.

Ya seven years s long but the cap screw ups are elsewhere which makes it hard to swallow such terms and money.

unlike others I am not really looking forward to the Demko era because that era right now isn’t the Demko era but the huge question mark era. Markstrom has been the most important and biggest impact player on the past 2+ seasons...it’s almost a guarantee the goaltender will be considerably worse without him. The attempt to try to retain Markstrom is one I support.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Dude came here as a giant question mark in the Luongo trade and ended up becoming a team MVP. Crazy how he was even waived at one point. I remember the team wanted him to play in the non-televised pre-season game to avoid getting claimed lol.

Seemed like a great teammate and guy off the ice. Hope he does well on a personal level, but if it’s the Flames I hope his team sucks ass lol.

Happy he’s getting paid big bucks, just didn’t make sense for the Canucks to go 5+ years with Demko waiting in the wings.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If our cap situation wasn't what it is, I'd have zero problem giving Markstrom 6x6.

Yes but you would be kissing a very talented 24 year old goodbye, and he fits in better with the age of the young core.

Markstrom signs for 6 more years and Demko asks for trade so he doesnt waste the best years of his career as a back up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not a chance the Canucks could ever offer 6 X $6m for Markstrom. I think his fate in VanCity might have been sealed by Demko's lights-out performance against Vegas. And Holtby is more than a capable veteran backup on an affordable two-year deal.

Good for Markstrom and good for the Canucks.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Not a chance the Canucks could ever offer 6 X $6m for Markstrom. I think his fate in VanCity might have been sealed by Demko's lights-out performance against Vegas. And Holtby is more than a capable veteran backup on an affordable two-year deal.

Good for Markstrom and good for the Canucks.
His fate in Vancouver was sealed by the contracts Benning gave to Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Gagner and Baertschi as well as failing to get out of the Luongo recapture.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We have been blessed with great goaltending over the years so I don't think our fan base as a whole would have been happy with 6x6M for Markstrom. But Calgary hasn't had good goaltending since Kipper left and they seem happy getting Markstrom at 6x$6M.

Thanks for everything Markstrom. It has certainly been a fun ride. I thought you had the potential to be a #1 goalie when we first acquired you, then gave up on you after seeing you continually let in a soft goal to start the game, then underappreciated your top 5 goalie performance, then thinking it's a bad idea to sign you to a long term contract such as the one Calgary gave you.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Just like that he's gone. Too rich for our blood. Liked him as a person & goalie.

Sucks it is Calgary though.. so close.

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
All the best to a great Canuck. I'm sure he would have loved to have stayed here, but nobody is turning down an extra $10 million when it's on the table.

Can't blame the team for not matching that ... but man, is it a blow to this franchise to lose him. He has carried this team on his back for the past two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad