Prospect Info: Jacob Bryson (2017, 99th) signed 3 year ELC, ATO with Rochester

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Only veteran Zach Redmond, playing on an AHL contract, had more points than Bryson amongst Amerks defenseman last year.

Barring an acquisition from outside the organization, how likely is it that Bryson is in Buffalo next season?

And how does his progress compare to that of Will Borgen (a player I really liked both in his play with the USA junior teams and in college)?

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I'm excited about this kid. 16 points in his last 21 games in Rochester.

I can't say that I've seen him play much, but from what I've read he is a good team and character individual to go along with his skill. I think he may be one reason the team was lukewarm on Pilut. Bryson may just be better.

What's the take from those who see the Americans regularly?

I'm not making a prediction, but there are a lot of similarities between Bryson's background to this point and that of Torey Krug (up to Krug's NHL debut); small, unheralded in draft year, a year in USHL followed by 3 years in college and a year in the AHL.

I don't want Bryson rushed...but I also hope that we approach each prospect as an individual and don't follow some pre-conceived idea that a player needs to pay their dues or fully cook. That Mittelstadt and Thompson were rushed and were not sent down as soon as they should have been, doesn't mean that other young players aren't ready.

I don't want the team to force anything, but it would be a big boost if two or three youngsters like Bryson, Cozens, Ruotsalainen are ready and able to fill needed roles this season.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm excited about this kid. 16 points in his last 21 games in Rochester.

I can't say that I've seen him play much, but from what I've read he is a good team and character individual to go along with his skill. I think he may be one reason the team was lukewarm on Pilut. Bryson may just be better.

What's the take from those who see the Americans regularly?

I'm not making a prediction, but there are a lot of similarities between Bryson's background to this point and that of Torey Krug (up to Krug's NHL debut); small, unheralded in draft year, a year in USHL followed by 3 years in college and a year in the AHL.

I don't want Bryson rushed...but I also hope that we approach each prospect as an individual and don't follow some pre-conceived idea that a player needs to pay their dues or fully cook. That Mittelstadt and Thompson were rushed and were not sent down as soon as they should have been, doesn't mean that other young players aren't ready.

I don't want the team to force anything, but it would be a big boost if two or three youngsters like Bryson, Cozens, Ruotsalainen are ready and able to fill needed roles this season.
He’s my favorite prospect in the system. Wasn’t able to catch many Rochester games, but I saw him in college quite a bit. He’s a different player from Krug, but similar trajectories I suppose. He’s a very smart player with great wheels.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
He’s my favorite prospect in the system. Wasn’t able to catch many Rochester games, but I saw him in college quite a bit. He’s a different player from Krug, but similar trajectories I suppose. He’s a very smart player with great wheels.

Thanks for this.

I feel like we are due to have a young kid who has a big impact without much prior fanfare. Olofsson was sort of within that category, but by the time he made it to the NHL full-time we were mostly thinking / expecting what we got from him.

The Sabres have a good pipeline on the left side with Bryson, Samuelsson and Johnson coming up behind Dahlin.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I also like Bryson, maybe he will be more like Girard, and not like Krug?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don’t really think he has the O skills of either of them, but I think he’ll have a very good possession impact.

Krug's best asset is his transition game. If Bryson can be something like him in that respect, we've got ourselves a good hockey player.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Absolutely love watching him skate. So effortless and smooth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad