Prospect Info: Jacob Bryson (2017, 99th) signed 3 year ELC, ATO with Rochester

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Frame this one:

Yup, I’m in love with that play. It’s so easy to get lost in McD’s speed/shiftiness/hands. He waits for McD to really commit, has the pace to step in front, and just kills the drive beautifully. Props for McD for making anything of it, really, because that was some beautiful defending right there.

I was not sold on this guy. Now I think it mighta just been that tough first adjustment to the NHL. Dude has caught on in spades, he does all the little things right. He’s been undersized his whole career yet has made it here- I almost wonder if he’s smarter than the average bear as a result. Hope he keeps it up, hope I can be a fan of his, because he can be a treat to watch.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How would one compare and contrast Bryson and Johnson? Both smaller guys with excellent skating

Johnson isn't that small but understand where the comparison comes from. He's 6'1" while Bryson is 5'9". Both are smart, mobile players with good stick skills but four inches is pretty substantial.

Reactions: Jacob582

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I’m starting to come around on him. Especially if he continues using his body like he did tonight

He had good and bad nights playing last year. The bad seemed to outnumber the good, though. This year, I can't recall any especially bad games, but I can think of a handful where he stood out in a positive way. He's definitely taken a step forward/gotten more consistent.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Bryson negates his size differential with quick decision making and EXCELLENT skating. He is constantly skating his way to puck safety instead of having to pass away from pressure. Also, that play on McDavid tonight is an example of something I have not understood about Sabres defenseman for many years. Bryson took the body instead of trying to take the puck. We get goals scored on us all the time in the crease where our defenseman are trying to out stick fight players for the puck, when if you just took the body there would be no shot.

Props to Bryson for having the skating confidence to do that against McDavid.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He’s no longer getting bullied in his own zone, at least compared to the end of last year

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
He had good and bad nights playing last year. The bad seemed to outnumber the good, though. This year, I can't recall any especially bad games, but I can think of a handful where he stood out in a positive way. He's definitely taken a step forward/gotten more consistent.

I actually don’t recall much of him last season other than seeing him constantly get bullied. Of course that could have been just because of the speed difference of the AHL and NHL.

He’s no longer getting bullied in his own zone, at least compared to the end of last year

This. I mean it’s gonna happen sometimes, but as long as he’s doing it more often than it happens to it, it’s all good.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I wonder if he can play on the right side, next season it would make a lot of sense.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Hes the Sabres best defense man right now
It's tough because Dahlin does magical things, and is usually pretty good defensively, but then just has some really bad brain farts. Also, he would've been caught staring at the puck had McDavid been flying down the ice on him. But man, there are very few players who can make some of the plays he does in both the offensive and defensive zone. Just has to reel in those defensive mistakes and stop staring at the puck on one-on-ones. That comes with time.

Bryson, though- my man has taken the next step. Just very, very consistent and pretty dynamic with his skating ability. He doesn't have the magic that Dahlin does, though very few do. Everything else is there, though- skating ability, defensive awareness, transition game, puck movement, etc...love this kid, man. Glad he proved me wrong.

I'd say Bryson has been our best defenseman, too, but Dahlin has had higher highs and lower lows through the season. I'm also not sure how they're matched up against other teams. Who takes the tough minutes...?

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Bryson stepping up his game is huge for this team. I suspect that there will be many others in this organization that will do this same thing. Of course, others will flounder, but that’s why it’s important to have a developmental mindset throughout the organization. Prior front offices ignored the minor league affiliates.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Bryson has been playing great but he has 8 shots on goal through 20 games. His stat line really sticks out. He needs to improve his shot and start letting them rip.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
GAR for defensemen under the age of 24... his partner of late is now 20th...

1649281061014.png

Reactions: Samsonite23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad