Prospect Info: Jacob Bryson (2017, 99th) signed 3 year ELC, ATO with Rochester

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am not familiar with our prospects play outside of highlights Paxon. Any info on the projection of this kids development? Like where he needs work now and his skills that are ahead? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Why not read the posts in the thread already?

Reactions: Eichel9

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I am not familiar with our prospects play outside of highlights Paxon. Any info on the projection of this kids development? Like where he needs work now and his skills that are ahead? Any info is greatly appreciated.
I am not as up on things these days. I've only seen 3 of his games this year. I see him being a key PP guy for the Amerks next season. He has all-around game but the PP should come quickest.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I am not as up on things these days. I've only seen 3 of his games this year. I see him being a key PP guy for the Amerks next season. He has all-around game but the PP should come quickest.
Thanks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some highlights of commentary from the last few months:

He continues to impress me every time I see him. Stick, feet, brain... all top notch defending and turning the puck up in transition.

He has been near dominant this game against Minnesota State. His poise and passing are really impressive.

Yep, the assist he was pretty close to not even being in the ice - he had sprung the breakout and was heading for a change. He gets the puck, moves it to safety and creates for his team. I don’t care how big or small he is, the kid is a player.

My favorite part of his game today has been the couple of quick step-ups he's made to seal people along the wall. He just had another at the Cornell blueline that popped the puck free to the only Friar in the offensive zone. His timing is tremendous.

He's smart, first and foremost. His positioning is usually very good and he augments that with quick feet to put himself back into good position if he does take a gamble. He moves the puck well, both out of his zone and in the offensive zone. He'll move to space with and without the puck. He's very efficient at stripping pucks and moving it before he gets physically overwhelmed by his check - top notch stick use for defense. He gets pucks through to the net, which is an art, even if they're not overpowering.

His weaknesses would be his size and his shooting power isn't great. He's still small, that won't change.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I was worried he'd go back to college and we'd lose him when he didn't sign right away after getting knocked out. I think he's going to be an NHL regular in a few years

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Why can’t Bryson play this year in the AHL? I would put him in the bottom 6 over Douherty and others anyday

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Why can’t Bryson play this year in the AHL? I would put him in the bottom 6 over Douherty and others anyday
He can play in the AHL, it would be rather pointless for him to sign an ATO with the Amerks otherwise. That said, I'm not sure they decide to throw him in right away playing in playoff games. They have plenty of other defensemen who have played either significant numbers of games or have at least been with the team for a few weeks already.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Watching Bryson and how subtle he plays the game, he reminds me of a better version(especially offensively) of Pysyk, where Bryson is more effective at utilizing his skillset to create higher quality offensive chances.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Watching Bryson and how subtle he plays the game, he reminds me of a better version(especially offensively) of Pysyk, where Bryson is more effective at utilizing his skillset to create higher quality offensive chances.

So what you're saying, then, is that Bryson possesses PUCK POISE © (Copyright 2002-2003, Martin Skoula, licensed to Mark Pysyk 2012-2013).

Reactions: Chainshot

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

Put yourself in Chris Taylor’s shoes. Dougherty, MacWilliams, and others have been rock solid down the stretch. Bryson isn’t a Makar level talent that demands to be played. Taylor has to consider chemistry and the locker room. Might not sit well to insert a rookie over guys who have been battling all year. He can learn plenty just being around the team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
@Chain

It's clear you see a successful pro from him. Do predict that at the AHL or NHL level?

With the shift in emphasis towards speed, skill, and intelligence regarding defensemen, I think he could be an effective NHLer. I look at what the Bruins are doing with two relatively tiny PMD in Krug and Grzelcyk and it seems possible to have Pilut and Bryson in some future version of the Sabres blueline. Granted, the Bruins forwards actually backcheck and provide outlets, and the rest of the defensemen aren’t any shrinking violets.

Short answer: yes I do think he can be an NHL level defenseman.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I haven't been this hyped for an Amerks playoff signing since Soupy. Feel like Soupy got more hype when signed around here. Bryson is going to be good.

Between Bryson and Laaksonen Sabres should use more mid draft picks on people never knew one about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad