Prospect Info: Jacob Bryson (2017, 99th) signed 3 year ELC, ATO with Rochester

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I haven't been this hyped for an Amerks playoff signing since Soupy. Feel like Soupy got more hype when signed around here. Bryson is going to be good.

Between Bryson and Laaksonen Sabres should use more mid draft picks on people never knew one about.

They've had one D+1 type guy per draft for a while now. Bryson, Fitzgerald, Glotov, Weissbach, even Olofsson were all in that same boat.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
There should be a trend towards drafting older players in later rounds. Teams are learning more about cap structures.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
“It’s really hard to play at that size if you don’t have an elite mind and elite feet. Jacob has both of those,” Providence coach Nate Leaman said. “That’s ultimately what makes him as good a player as he is. He thinks the game very well and his feet and his edges and his transition are outstanding.”

Yes, yes, yes...!

Reactions: Jim Bob

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bryson was glowing in terms of his take on communication and interaction with the development staff and Botterill and Greeley. "One of the most hands-on teams in the league" was his direct comment (see above). Harrington tried a gotcha question and Bryson is just so smooth answering questions.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Bryson was glowing in terms of his take on communication and interaction with the development staff and Botterill and Greeley. "One of the most hands-on teams in the league" was his direct comment (see above). Harrington tried a gotcha question and Bryson is just so smooth answering questions.

Kid is super impressive.

I'm excited about the competition between him, Borgen, and Fitzgerald to get some games with the Sabres early while Bogo and Pilut are on the mend.

Reactions: Mitts888

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Hopefully he, and Borgen can show this team enough before the season, that they get a shot as opposed to sticking with retreads like Scandella & Hunwick on the roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kid is super impressive.

I'm excited about the competition between him, Borgen, and Fitzgerald to get some games with the Sabres early while Bogo and Pilut are on the mend.

He's LHD while both Borgen and Fitz are righties so that probably clutters things up in direct competition for them. It's possible he gets some early action, it's also possible Borgen does as well, all depending on camp and who is or is not healthy when it breaks.

Of all the interviews, this kid is by far the most well-spoken.

I'd give Olofsson some props there too, but for the NA guys, Jacob is clearly at ease in those scrums, which seems to be endemic to Friar alumni. Samuelsson looked comfortable as well, which may speak well of the NTDP.

Hopefully he, and Borgen can show this team enough before the season, that they get a shot as opposed to sticking with retreads like Scandella & Hunwick on the roster.

We can hope they make the decision to cut bait on both of them prior to camp but I'm not going to hold my breath. Maybe Hunwick can be a vet presence for the Amerks and show the kid how to be a pro in Rochester. They will have some openings.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
It wouldn't surprise me to see him go directly to NHL this year. It is not as rare as it used to be and this kid is what we are missing so bad on our defense. His IQ is so needed.

I just wonder if we obtained Bryson like NJ did with Butcher, where he would be this year. I feel like players that we have in our system we let marinate too long, but a player like Butcher, if we did get him instead of NJ, would have been playing right away.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It wouldn't surprise me to see him go directly to NHL this year. It is not as rare as it used to be and this kid is what we are missing so bad on our defense. His IQ is so needed.

I just wonder if we obtained Bryson like NJ did with Butcher, where he would be this year. I feel like players that we have in our system we let marinate too long, but a player like Butcher, if we did get him instead of NJ, would have been playing right away.

Interesting take. You might be right - the UFA aspect of the Butcher acquisition typically has an onus on the signing team to put the player immediately into the NHL lineup. Butcher clearly ran with that.

And as much as I love Bryson for his smarts, and his feet, and his stick in defense/transition.... he'll have to buck the non-primary point producing side of his last season in Providence. As trends go, it's possible to overcome, just a caveat for myself and others on my fanaticism. I think the kid will play. And I hope he can be a Grzelcyk or Mete type when he gets here.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Torey Krug, while pretty special, has shown sub 5'10" defencemen can make it and even thrive in the NHL.

Let's hope Bryson can be a new undersized defender that gets talked about in relative terms; like Krug has become.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad