Jack Michaels - Oilers PBP

Jack Micaels game calling during the play ....

• Total voters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's trickle-down of the culture that has plagued this team for years... The quality of work gets sacrificed on the altar of personal favouritism.

Solid point.
I would like to think that the team is beyond that now. I least I hope they are.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Micheals is terrible, but I doubt that's a controversial opinion. The real blame, imo, belongs on Stauffer though. I still remember when they were looking for a new pbp guy, and Bob talked a little about the process on his radio show. He let it drop that he had a major say in the hiring, and that the having chemistry with him (ie. Bob) was a key requirement for any applicant. Watching them together, it's pretty obvious to me that they cared a lot more about finding someone who could tolerate Bob's personality (and that ain't easy task) than someone who could do the job.

So.......if they get rid of Stauffer, Michaels will be a goner as well. No wonder Bob is such a suck up shill.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
If only the Oilers' radio broadcast team was among their ten biggest problems...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Listened to about 2 minutes of the Michaels show last night while I was driving home from work, and had to shut it off in frustration, just couldn't stand it anymore. The play was continuing, but he honestly could not mention the person involved in the play, without offering up some inane fact about them, and on and on it went. Had no idea what was going on, on the ice.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Michaels has been auditioning for a TV gig since he got here (almost landed one with the King's last year IIRC). His play by play is awful for radio but well suited to TV.

I can't listen to him on the radio because the actual game seems like an after thought to him and he would rather talk about some players cousin or uncle.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Listened to about 2 minutes of the Michaels show last night while I was driving home from work, and had to shut it off in frustration, just couldn't stand it anymore. The play was continuing, but he honestly could not mention the person involved in the play, without offering up some inane fact about them, and on and on it went. Had no idea what was going on, on the ice.
It’s Pierre McGuire esque

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Separate but related note...I somehow missed that former CTV Edmonton sports reporter Bryan Mudryk is now doing play-by-play on TSN. He called the Sens/Kings game and I was thoroughly impressed. He sounds like a cross between Rod and Chris Cuthbert.

If the opportunity ever presents itself, I would love for him to somehow take over for Jack.

Of course, that'll probably happen in the same year that the Oilers win the Stanley Cup... :sarcasm:

Reactions: guymez

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Micheals is terrible, but I doubt that's a controversial opinion. The real blame, imo, belongs on Stauffer though. I still remember when they were looking for a new pbp guy, and Bob talked a little about the process on his radio show. He let it drop that he had a major say in the hiring, and that the having chemistry with him (ie. Bob) was a key requirement for any applicant. Watching them together, it's pretty obvious to me that they cared a lot more about finding someone who could tolerate Bob's personality (and that ain't easy task) than someone who could do the job.

Jack is probably a big fan of the Mediterranean chicken too.

(I actually like him as pbp though.)

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Had to bump this thread because of the sheer unprofessionalism that happened on air tonight.

Was listening to the game on my way home, and heard the usual amount of useless trivia instead of calling the game. But then in addition, Jack spent a good 30-40 seconds - during the play, of course - to specifically boast about how he and Bob are the only broadcast duo in the whole league who pronounce Elias Petterson's name the right way. "It's El-EEis, not Elias...and we know that for a fact, because we've checked it with him in person. Twice. They don't even say it the right way in his own local market, but that's how he pronounces it...no other duo in the league says it like us."

The irrelevant stories are one thing...but using a player's name to publicly mock other broadcasters AND an opposing fanbase was absolutely unacceptable. It made me so irritated that I actually turned off the radio in disgust.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Had to bump this thread because of the sheer unprofessionalism that happened on air tonight.

Was listening to the game on my way home, and heard the usual amount of useless trivia instead of calling the game. But then in addition, Jack spent a good 30-40 seconds - during the play, of course - to specifically boast about how he and Bob are the only broadcast duo in the whole league who pronounce Elias Petterson's name the right way. "It's El-EEis, not Elias...and we know that for a fact, because we've checked it with him in person. Twice. They don't even say it the right way in his own local market, but that's how he pronounces it...no other duo in the league says it like us."

The irrelevant stories are one thing...but using a player's name to publicly mock other broadcasters AND an opposing fanbase was absolutely unacceptable. It made me so irritated that I actually turned off the radio in disgust.

There are so many things in the world to be disgusted by.

But this? This is f*** all.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I like Jack and I like the broadcasts.

Rob Brown is highly underrated between periods and post games. I typically will listen to CHED during intermissions instead of watching SNET broadcast, Way more and better content on CHED during the intermissions.

Reactions: MessierII

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I like Jack's energy. I like his calls. And he seems very knowledgeable. But he does a bit too much tangenting for a radio broadcast where your whole understanding of what's happening in the game comes from his mouth. He's talking about Matt Benning's high school sweet heart or some baloney while a 2 on 1 is developing that you'll never know about.

Reactions: KYams17

OilersSnowFan

Aug 27, 2019
penticton
globalnews.ca
i agree jack is not good! bob is decent but i like reid and rob brown especially brown probably my favorite oilers analyst/media guy too bad he doesn't do more work, i won't be to upset if the oilers go another way in the upcoming local broadcast deal in the next ~2 seasons

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
3aumt5.jpg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like Jack and I like the broadcasts.

Rob Brown is highly underrated between periods and post games. I typically will listen to CHED during intermissions instead of watching SNET broadcast, Way more and better content on CHED during the intermissions.
You're half right. I like Rob Brown too.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like to watch and listen to the opposing teams for their play by play and colour commentary when I'm streaming the Oiler's games... so not only do I not hear Michael's subpar play by play but I also get a view into opposing teams views as well and how they view the Oilers as well as their own players.

Overall I like that way of watching the games although the commentators are obviously a lot less excited when the Oilers score. :)

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
This was a topic over beers the other day.

Jack fails to paint the picture for listeners. He’s suppose to be our eyes. He gets side tracked. We can hear hockey being played and crowds reacting.

I think he might be good on Tv. But I think for
Years jack worked in the minors wearing two hats, without a Colour guy and it gave him some bad Habits.

My buddy DM him to ask him about it.
Jack says in his broadcasting experience the audience wants flare, background information and a full experience.

So don’t expect much to change.

As for the petersson thing. It’s been a little thing they’ve been playing up for a while now. Jack asked Petersson last season what he prefers and most media haven’t adapted that way. No biggy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad