Jack Michaels - Oilers PBP

Jack Micaels game calling during the play ....

• Total voters

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Wow, I think he's great. He adds some excitement to the game, is passionate in his calls, and has the greatest sports knowledge / memory of any commentator. He remembers games from decades ago and who scored when. He vocabulary is diverse and he has a spectrum of ways of describing things. Louis, while is a good balance, has limited vocabulary (e.g. every thing is a "shooting mentality")

Don't you all remember Drew and Kevin???

If you want JUST the game called, we have Singh, who I feel is super bland and can't add anything beyond a description of what is happening.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wow, I think he's great. He adds some excitement to the game, is passionate in his calls, and has the greatest sports knowledge / memory of any commentator. He remembers games from decades ago and who scored when. He vocabulary is diverse and he has a spectrum of ways of describing things. Louis, while is a good balance, has limited vocabulary (e.g. every thing is a "shooting mentality")

If you want JUST the game called, we have Singh, who I feel is super bland and can't add anything beyond a description of what is happening.
I dont think that anyone in this thread has suggested that they JUST want the game called and nothing else.

I do however think that (according to the poll results) most want Jack to call more than 30% of the actual play.
I dont think thats unreasonable.
Sounds like you are one of the few that would rather hear storytelling for most of the game while the play is goin on.
To each their own.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Jack mostly goes on tangents when the game is bullshit and nothing meaningful is happening

There should be a 3rd option for “Jack should bust through the screen Of all these haters and defile their vile abodes with his pulsating action”

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't mind jack with his blathering while doing TV PBP, as I can actually see what is going on and he can jump in whenever.:D Louie though, is starting to grate on me, with his never ending "I think they're going to challenge that" for at least an Oiler goal a game. A when the challenge doesn't happen, he says" I just don't understand why they didn't challenge that. I think they'd have a case." Getting a little negative I think.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
He’s awesome. I don't require someone to be super on point with calling the play when I'm watching the game with my own 2 eyes. He adds excitement and tension to games which is what I want in a commentator. He's also just enough of an Oilers homer while also having no problem praising opposing teams and players when warranted. I get that he's not everybody's cup of tea but there is a reason plenty of fans and media from other markets praise Jack.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I dont think that anyone in this thread has suggested that they JUST want the game called and nothing else.

I do however think that (according to the poll results) most want Jack to call more than 30% of the actual play.
I dont think thats unreasonable.
Sounds like you are one of the few that would rather hear storytelling for most of the game while the play is goin on.
To each their own.
No I just dispute the 30% number. That's just not true. I did my own assessment today and he calls 80% of the play while play is on. His tangents are during whistles for the most part.

Now everyone is going to use this 30% number as fact when it simply isn't true.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No I just dispute the 30% number. That's just not true. I did my own assessment today and he calls 80% of the play while play is on. His tangents are during whistles for the most part.

Now everyone is going to use this 30% number as fact when it simply isn't true.
80%...lol
Look...you like Jack and his stroy telling.
Thats fine...you are just in the minority.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Anytime I’m annoyed with Jack, which isn’t often, I get reminded how much I appreciate him on Saturday night games suffering thru games called by Singh.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
He goes a little overboard sometimes, but like people have said it’s when there’s nothing going on or the game is basically decided. I just like Jack Michaels so I don’t mind it most of the time.

It’s funny because when they first hired him as the radio guy I hated him. He creeped me out even. Stauffer seemed to despise him too for a couple years. Idk why but he grew on me, he’s probably my favorite PBP guy that exclusively calls oilers games. I’m so used to Jack Michaels energy now that I find myself getting sleepy when Singh calls games. The wrestling promoter energy bothered the hell out of me and now I demand it.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I watched the games on a stream from NHL.TV (I live in Japan), and I generally avoid the Jack-Louie combo in preference to the opponent's broadcasters.

It's not that Jack-Louie are horrid or that they're idiots or anything -- they're both smart, likable dudes with their hearts in the right place. Jack is very smart and fair; Louie is (probably too) fair and pleasant.

But somehow I get tired quickly of their schtick. Jack would be more tolerable if he would avoid (a) pop culture references to the 80s / 90s; (b) stories about his youth / family; and (c) predicting the outcomes of games-in-progress; and (d) trying to make the mundane sound like it's of life and death importance. Louie needs to speak up and be louder instead of mumbling, and he needs to retire the phrases "shooter mentality", "goes to work", etc.

I watched the Jack-Louie broadcast of the Dallas game (first time I've gone with them in a long while), and they mostly did a good job. Only once did Jack dip into his childhood anecdotes (something about his mother not knowing he watched a game instead of studying, or something), and Louie didn't overdo any of his pet phrases. Louie still has a gift for the banal, however. At the start of the third period, when Edmonton was going to have to go on the PK to start it, Louie said: "If it's me, you try to get the PK, and then... win the game." Just amazing insider-knowledge there.

Incidentally, I'm always impressed with L.A.'s and especially Anaheim's local broadcast teams. Very, very good.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I LOVE Jack on TV, but HATE Jack on the radio. Not sure if others feel the same.

Maybe it's just being separated from Stauffer. I couldn't stand their yammering about college baseball no hitters from the 1980s or some annoying, useless shit like that. Cam doesn't seem to get sucked into that kind of trash as much.

On TV, I love Jack's energy and I think he calls a solid game when he doesn't have to worry about filling dead air.

Jack's better for TV and Cam's better for radio, IMO.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I LOVE Jack on TV, but HATE Jack on the radio. Not sure if others feel the same.

Maybe it's just being separated from Stauffer. I couldn't stand their yammering about college baseball no hitters from the 1980s or some annoying, useless shit like that. Cam doesn't seem to get sucked into that kind of trash as much.

On TV, I love Jack's energy and I think he calls a solid game when he doesn't have to worry about filling dead air.

I agree that I wasn’t a fan of Jack on the radio, but he’s much better on TV and I think he’s improved a lot.

Louie can get canned any day please. He’s awful. He tries too hard to be unbiased that he’s constantly making excuses for obvious ignored calls and praising the other team for nothing plays.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
He’s more of an entertainer than a play by play guy, but compared to the snooze fest in Cowpie I’ll take it. He does miss some plays because of his ramblings but we understand the game , all good. Singh should be jettisoned into the sun though.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I am the same. Radio requires a different approach and much more attention to what is happening on the ice. With TV I can see what is happening on the ice. The banter is background that I can either choose to absorb or not and it does not impact my ability to know what is happening on the ice. But I like his emotion and appreciate his vocabulary on TV. It adds some punch to the game. I am also old so a lot of the stuff he references actually resonates with me.

Cam Moon is actually a very good radio pbp guy.

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Great voice and vocab. Accurate play calling and a great eye for the game and moments. And one of the best Oilers analysts around I would say, he knows his team.

But I do see where the criticism is coming from. He can go off on tangets often and only some of it is interesting.

Louie is getting on my nerves though. And I’ve mostly been a supporter of his. But he’s really veered deeply into the ref ass kissing territory. Probably a directive from his handlers in Toronto, so I consider that a betrayal.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

This I hated him on the radio but he’s decent on TV. Cam moon is better and I think would be better on TV than Jack though IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad