Jack Michaels - Oilers PBP

Jack Micaels game calling during the play ....

• Total voters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yea due to the hospital bills cuz you'll need to get your stomach pumped after the first period of every Oilers game

Clealry better to just not assault your ears and gut and listen to someone else. :nod:

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Can we get a play by play personality that can roar a good "GOOOOAL!!" Or even attempt at trying to out do Phillips " SCOOOOOOORES!" ??

The way that Michaels does it is somewhat lame and lacks any passion.

It subtlely lowers morale than lifts it.

Really wish he steps up his voice game.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled with the memory of Rod's play by plays.

Reactions: guymez

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Did anyone catch where the game was broadcast tonight?

Turned on CHED, but all they had was 5-on-3 tonight... :sarcasm:

EDIT: just went to Instagram and watched the goal replays.

"Deflected home..."

"Backhander goes in..."

"SHOT goal..."

I've heard corporate instructional videos that were more exciting.

Last edited:

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
the more i try to watch the steamed games with ched on the play by play. the more i realize how much of the play doesnt get described. i find it really awful that theres so much of the game were missing because jack is rambling on about something

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Couldnt think of a better place to post this....
Its well known on here how I feel about Jack Michaels. I have had more than a few rants about his play calling over the course of a game. Thats not to say that I dont like all of his work. Sometimes he is actually pretty good...just not nearly often enough IMO.

You would think that he would be better suited to TV than to radio.
Thats true to an extent but by willfully not calling most of the actual play he takes away from the game.
The game becomes secondary and then he thrusts the game back in periodically when he sees fit.
Sometimes having to catch up to the play or even missing important plays all together.

So I decided to time Jack Micheals and Louie just to see how much of a 20 minute period was actually calling the play by play or commenting on the game.
6 minutes and 29 seconds of the 1st period of last nights games was actual play calling or color commentary relevant to the game.
The rest was inane banter.
Quite often Jack would call out the 2 or 3 players that touched the puck (about 10 seconds of actual play by play) and then its back to story time.

I dont mind him when he focusses on the play calling but unfortunately its an after thought.
Calling the actual play by play approx 30% of the time just isnt good enough IMO.
A game called by that duo amounts to nothing more than Jack and Louie story time with a few play calls thrown in.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Couldnt think of a better place to post this....
Its well known on here how I feel about Jack Michaels. I have had more than a few rants about his play calling over the course of a game. Thats not to say that I dont like all of his work. Sometimes he is actually pretty good...just not nearly often enough IMO.

You would think that he would be better suited to TV than to radio.
Thats true to an extent but by willfully not calling most of the actual play he takes away from the game.
The game becomes secondary and then he thrusts the game back in periodically when he sees fit.
Sometimes having to catch up to the play or even missing important plays all together.

So I decided to time Jack Micheals and Louie just to see how much of a 20 minute period was actually calling the play by play.
6 minutes and 29 seconds of the 1st period of last nights games was actual play calling or color commentary relevant to the game.
The rest was inane banter.
Quite often Jack would call out the 2 or 3 players that touched the puck (about 10 seconds of actual play by play) and then its back to story time.

I dont mind him when he focusses on the play calling but unfortunately its an after thought.
Calling the actual play by play approx 30% of the time just isnt good enough IMO.
A game called by that duo amounts to nothing more than Jack and Louie story time with a few play calls thrown in.
I can't even listen to him most nights he seems to think his job is both PBP and color commentary movie trivia and trivia about other people in other sports

Reactions: oilers'72

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can't even listen to him most nights he seems to think his job is both PBP and color commentary movie trivia and trivia about other people in other sports
Thats a good summation.
I hope that the way they call a game isnt an indicator of where PBP is going.

Reactions: oilers'72

UHHHH SON

Sep 29, 2010
What’s with him disrespecting the opposing team all the time? “The Oilers are running them out of the building!” Or “That goal puts the game out of reach”

Unless there is only seconds left, cut that out. Many times he says it with 6 or more minutes left. Has he never seen a comeback in his life? It doesn’t fit our fanbases mentality, or so I think.

If I was working for Rogers I’d be calling for a change because he is trying to get people to turn off the game. “This one’s over!” When there is 10 minutes remaining. He’s screwing over his employers ability to make advertising revenue.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I could listen to Jack Michaels all day. I'm surprised there's this kind of reaction to him.
Way too much inane chatter.
Almost 70% of the play by play time is filled with nonsense that almost no ones cares about.
If he just called the game for 70% of the time and filled the rest with mindless chatter then that would be fine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Way too much inane chatter. Almost 70% of the play by play time is filled with nonsense chatter.
If he just called the game for 70% of the time and filled the rest with mindless chatter then that would be fine.

I would be okay if he keeps blabbering on through Janmark and Brown's shifts. When they're out there we don't need to hear anything about the game.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Way too much inane chatter.
Almost 70% of the play by play time is filled with nonsense that almost no ones cares about.
I feel like when he’s on tv he’s better. Bob sucks him into the vortex of random sports facts all the time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I feel like when he’s on tv he’s better. Bob sucks him into the vortex of random sports facts all the time.
Its been so long since I heard Jack and Bob on the radio I dont even remember what that was like.

I guess I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to calling a game. I like a PBP man that calls the play most of the time (like he is actually invested in the game) and elevates the play with his call. Adds to the game.

Jack for me takes away from the game because he isnt even invested in the game most of the time.
He is invested in his story telling.
His nickname should be Part Time Jack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad