Jack Michaels - Oilers PBP

Jack Micaels game calling during the play ....

• Total voters

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
You read my mind with this thread.

I always thought Jack would do great on TV. He does not paint the picture enough for radio.

I think spending years in the minors without Color guy funding ruined his Play by play ability. He just needs to call the play, there’s plenty of whistles to deep dive into 1978 boston bruins 6th defenseman. Driving home listening to 630, I don’t need to know that McLeod’s brother was drafted 12th overall by the New Jersey devils- I want to know what’s going on.

Reactions: guymez

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
He's the worst.
Can't stand the screeching voice and the accentuation of certain words. Just a grating voice then you add in he and Stauffer's tendency to drift into different subjects during the game and it's unbearable to listen to.
Oddly enough, I actually don't mind him when he does those prospect combine interviews, maybe because his demeanor is more calm in that setting. In Michael's case, less is more.

The Oilers quite likely have the worst PBP duo in the league in Quinn and Michaels. Kind of fitting for the DoD and Katz's regime in general.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree with this 100%.

If a game goes to Overtime, I actually pray the Oilers don't score so I don't have to hear JM scream "OOOOVEEERRRRRTIIIIIIME"

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Gave Jack a listen on the way home from work tonight. Overall, the main issue is that he tries too hard to make the broadcast dramatic instead of letting the gameplay speak for itself. Case in point, I missed about 75% of the third period powerplay tonight because Jack was outlining the details of the "powerplay quintet", then talking about McDavid's stats from last year vs. two years ago, then explaining at length the fancy new offensive swarm that the coaching staff is using.

Same with the winning goal... "Ohhhhhhh an amazing play by Connaughton, just beautifully executed through the legs of the defender, now here's a steal by Rattie, and here's a breakaway...*silence*...to wwwwIN the game...*silence*...Connor McDavid...scores."

Then he compared McDavid to a "secretariat" looking over his shoulder...whatever that means.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Gave Jack a listen on the way home from work tonight. Overall, the main issue is that he tries too hard to make the broadcast dramatic instead of letting the gameplay speak for itself. Case in point, I missed about 75% of the third period powerplay tonight because Jack was outlining the details of the "powerplay quintet", then talking about McDavid's stats from last year vs. two years ago, then explaining at length the fancy new offensive swarm that the coaching staff is using.

Same with the winning goal... "Ohhhhhhh an amazing play by Connaughton, just beautifully executed through the legs of the defender, now here's a steal by Rattie, and here's a breakaway...*silence*...to wwwwIN the game...*silence*...Connor McDavid...scores."

Then he compared McDavid to a "secretariat" looking over his shoulder...whatever that means.

Secretariat was a thoroughbred racehorse that was the Connor McDavid of the horse race track once upon a time.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
He does that thing where he shows off something he knows about a player, noticed it and I generally don't listen to him.

bucktown

Oct 27, 2009
He sounds like he gets that white shit at the corners of his mouth, and like he's constantly running out of breath from having to catch up to the play after spouting nonsense for too long. Not a fan.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Maybe it's because I'm so used to him calling the games on radio, but it just wouldn't be the same without him for me. Likely an unpopular opinion.
I quite like him as well.

and here's another unpopular opinion, I was happy when he took over for Rod, who I just couldn't listen to anymore.

Reactions: ujju2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe it's because I'm so used to him calling the games on radio, but it just wouldn't be the same without him for me. Likely an unpopular opinion.
So...... by the same logic, you’re okay with the Oilers continuing to suck because you’re used to it?:D;)

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
"What a save! No, score..."

The calls on the two Yamamoto goals were about as energetic as Lucic.

:facepalm:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I think a lot of people have revisionist history again. I had a love / hate relationship with 'Rockin Rod' as we called him back in the day. I had some issues at times with his forgetfulness, one sidedness, and uninformed opinions. I was not alone either amongst my peers. But for the most part I loved his enthusiasm, diction, and honesty with the team when the glory days faded. He was certainly a legend!
With Michaels, I think he has all the tools, but tries to do too much. Unlike others, I actually like his 'attacking from left to right'! drivel. It helps me visualize the game which is what a radio play by play personality is trying to achieve. It's as important as the time remaining, and the score. If he'd cut the stories, let Bob lead or retort properly and, at the appropriate time, he would be more appreciated. And it's not like Stauffer doesn't need any improvement either.
On a side note, I see Jespersen (JESPO!) has been called out somewhat in another thread. I'm quite surprised he isn't more. I cant believe a serious talk show host reduces himself to a carnival barker for the Oilers. It's both annoying and amusing to me!

*** Forgot to add that that O R N shtick has run its course for Jack. As his signature, it's becoming his downfall.[/QUOTE]

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think a lot of people have revisionist history again. I had a love / hate relationship with 'Rockin Rod' as we called him back in the day. I had some issues at times with his forgetfulness, one sidedness, and uninformed opinions. I was not alone either amongst my peers. But for the most part I loved his enthusiasm, diction, and honesty with the team when the glory days faded. He was certainly a legend!
With Michaels, I think he has all the tools, but tries to do too much. Unlike others, I actually like his 'attacking from left to right'! drivel. It helps me visualize the game which is what a radio play by play personality is trying to achieve. It's as important as the time remaining, and the score. If he'd cut the stories, let Bob lead or retort properly and, at the appropriate time, he would be more appreciated. And it's not like Stauffer doesn't need any improvement either.
On a side note, I see Jespersen (JESPO!) has been called out somewhat in another thread. I'm quite surprised he isn't more. I cant believe a serious talk show host reduces himself to a carnival barker for the Oilers. It's both annoying and amusing to me!

*** Forgot to add that that O R N shtick has run its course for Jack. As his signature, it's becoming his downfall.

I agree but I would also add that Jack would do well to consider toning down the forced and manufactured elements of his game calling.

For example....the OILERS radio network thing is embarrassingly bad and completely unnecessary. If he really feels that he needs to have a signature element then try to do something that doesnt make him sound like a WWE commentator or a greasy carnival greeter.
Phony does doesnt work in this market IMO.

If there was one thing you could say about Rod Phillips...there was nothing phony about anything he did.
He was genuine. Jack is too manufactured.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I agree but I would also add that Jack would do well to consider toning down the forced and manufactured elements of his game calling.

For example....the OILERS radio network thing is embarrassingly bad and completely unnecessary. If he really feels that he needs to have a signature element then try to do something that doesnt make him sound like a WWE commentator or a greasy carnival greeter.
Phony does doesnt work in this market IMO.

If there was one thing you could say about Rod Phillips...there was nothing phony about anything he did.
He was genuine. Jack is too manufactured.

Absolutely agree!
Michaels needs to realize less is more at times, and you always knew where Rod stood! Loved that side of him. I wish it could be implemented today but you need tenure to survive employment for that!

Reactions: guymez

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Loved Rod, wish he was still doing the games, mistakes and all. At least we knew what was happening.
It was dangerous to drive while listening to Rod. I don't know how many times i have changed lines while listening to him...he was that good...

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Better than Kevin Quinn, IMO. Can't stand that dude's voice. Nails on a chalkboard bad. All of SN sucks. lol.

I watched the other team's feed all of last season to avoid him. Was nice.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Secretariat was a thoroughbred racehorse that was the Connor McDavid of the horse race track once upon a time.
M
I would say McDavid is more of the Man O War silk ...never truly beaten but will always be number two behind Secretariat (the great one)..but one could fight and say Seabiscuit who was my favorite just because he was a short underdog horse no one wanted from day one ..

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Quote from the broadcast in Cologne:

"Bob and I have limited resources as far as the different facts about the Sharks that we can come up with, so we're just having to just read things off the screen as they come up."

Have you ever thought that that's maybe a good thing?

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
"What a chip by Ryan Strome to win it!" I have no idea what just happened. As someone whose only option is radio (can't afford TV right now), this is excruciating to listen to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad