Jack Michaels - Oilers PBP

Jack Micaels game calling during the play ....

• Total voters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wanted to comment (and get feedback) on the PBP game calling by Jack Michael's.
The goal call on McDavids goal to make it 4-2 is a perfect example of why I dont enjoy Jacks call.
He was so busy filling the airways with inane information that his goal call on McDavids goal was delayed. He calls the goal a few seconds after he scored. So there is no build up with McDavids great moves and the actual goal call is anti climatic.

Sept 20 - Oilers vs. Jets Exhibition highlights - CHED - Omny.fm

2:20 seconds in to hear the call on McDavids 4-2 goal.

That is a perfect example of why I have no desire to listen to his game calling. He sucks the life and play by play details out of the game and then tries to make up for it but ramping up his excitement after the fact.

Compare that to Dennis Beyaks call....

No comparison IMO and Beyak works for the Jets.

Beyak was actually in the running for the Oilers job. Lost out to Jack...what a shame IMO.
Dennis at least stays on top of the play and calls it real time. Much better for radio.

Last edited:

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
The goal call on McDavids goal to make it 4-2 is a perfect example of why I dont enjoy Jacks call.
He was so busy filling the airways with inane information that his goal call on McDavids goal was delayed. He calls the goal a few seconds after he scored. So there is no build up with McDavids great moves and the actual goal call is anti climatic.

That is a perfect example of why I have no desire to listen to his game calling. He sucks the life out of the game and then tries to make up for it but ramping up his excitement after the fact.

Beyak was actually in the running for the Oilers job. Lost out to Jack...what a shame IMO.

I normally agree with what you say my friend but listine to Beyak is like having you teeth pulled .....

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I normally agree with what you say my friend but listine to Beyak is like having you teeth pulled .....

Wow...why do you say that.?
At least he actually calls the play instead of rambling on and on and on during the play.

I actually wouldnt mind Jack if he saved the rambling for between whistles and didnt try to compensate so much of the time. Too often for my tastes Jack seems to miss the timing on when and how to elevate his call. I think thats because he is catching up on the play due to the story telling so he has to try and compensate for being behind. He then tries to make up for lost time by elevating the call after the fact.
It simply doesnt work.

Instead of adding to a moment he all too often tries to re-create the moment after the fact.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's actually frustrating listening to him in the car because I have no clue what is going on in the game. Every time a player touches the puck he has a story or stat about them.

I am glad I am not the only one that finds the audio only version of Jack un-listenable.

He has to realize that a radio PBP man needs to provide detail about the game when the game is in progress....not who went to what university and which player is the nephew of a former player.

Its so damn frustrating to try and sort things out for myself. It makes a peaceful drive one long F-bomb...lol

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
It's actually frustrating listening to him in the car because I have no clue what is going on in the game. Every time a player touches the puck he has a story or stat about them.
Look at the bright side. Haven't you always wanted to know that Ty Rattie's second cousin once removed scored 15g 25A in 79 GP at Princeton in 1982 while playing on a line with future DEL legend Greg Shuckelmeyer?

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
My own personal purgatory would be walking around an IKEA with Jack Micheals narrating my every step while weaving in “the OILERS radio network” every time I stopped to look at a map to figure out how the f*** to get to the one section I need quickly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My own personal purgatory would be walking around an IKEA with Jack Micheals narrating my every step while weaving in “the OILERS radio network” every time I stopped to look at a map to figure out how the **** to get to the one section I need quickly.

One thing for sure....we may not know much about where you are at any given moment but we would know everything about your long passed great uncle and what his hobbies were.

Reactions: Kid Dynamite

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Wow...why do you say that.?
At least he actually calls the play instead of rambling on and on and on during the play.

I actually wouldnt mind Jack if he saved the rambling for between whistles and didnt try to WWE the call all the time. He doesnt seem to have much of a sense on when and how to elevate his call.

Instead of adding to a moment he all too often tries to create the moment.
it's just the tone of his voice that does it for me, not saying Beyak's is bad just a bias op

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
it's just the tone of his voice that does it for me, not saying Beyak's is bad just a bias op

Fair point. This is after all a very subjective topic.
I should add a poll.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Mod....can you please correct the spelling of Micaels in the Poll question to read Michaels?

Thank you.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I am glad I am not the only one that finds the audio only version of Jack un-listenable.

He has to realize that a radio PBP man needs to provide detail about the game when the game is in progress....not who went to what university and which player is the nephew of a former player.

Its so damn frustrating to try and sort things out for myself. It makes a peaceful drive one long F-bomb...lol

This is what really gets me. I honestly think he'd be a good commentator for TV, he has enthusiasm, knowledge, and has interesting things to say all the time.

Its just that he's not a TV commentator; Legitimately 95% of the time I have no idea if play is even on or not, let alone who has the puck, where the play is on the ice, and the circumstances of the play (ie, is it a scoring chance?). Like sorry, if you can't give me atleast sort of a mental image of whats happening in the game, you aren't doing your job.

Perhaps its hard to be subjective after having a great like Phillips for your life, then having to replace him. I find it frustrating, who has the puck, where, and the way a play is developing is 100000x more important than a guessing game between two buddies about who a players best friend from 1976's third uncle was, and this cute story they both have from the same guy in 1979. I don't even hate the anecdotes, or the knowledge bombs, just like... when its hockey quit talking about decades old college football, wtf.

Idk, its clear he's talented, its just frustrating.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is what really gets me. I honestly think he'd be a good commentator for TV, he has enthusiasm, knowledge, and has interesting things to say all the time.

Its just that he's not a TV commentator; Legitimately 95% of the time I have no idea if play is even on or not, let alone who has the puck, where the play is on the ice, and the circumstances of the play (ie, is it a scoring chance?). Like sorry, if you can't give me atleast sort of a mental image of whats happening in the game, you aren't doing your job.

Totally legit point about Jack being better suited for TV PBP. At least you can see the play while he is going off on tangents.

Perhaps its hard to be subjective after having a great like Phillips for your life, then having to replace him. I find it frustrating, who has the puck, where, and the way a play is developing is 100000x more important than a guessing game between two buddies about who a players best friend from 1976's third uncle was, and this cute story they both have from the same guy in 1979. I don't even hate the anecdotes, or the knowledge bombs, just like... when its hockey quit talking about decades old college football, wtf.

Idk, its clear he's talented, its just frustrating.

I agree. I dont mean to diminish his talent (I am probably venting a little too much) but there are some issues on the radio for sure.
I think you nailed it with your TV observation.

Good post. :nod:

Last edited:

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
The night he covered for Kevin Quinn, I thought he was excellent.

When I'm listening to him, I can only last a few moments. I don't understand what's going on. I actually don't mind him when he calls the actual play. I remember thinking he would cut back on the useless drivel after his first year, but nope! Still the same. I don't even bother with Ched anymore.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think there are some bits that he does that i don't like, but really thats mostly subjective. I think it just comes down to him seeming to not understand that his audience is listening to him because they want to see the game but for whatever reason, they can't. If I'm tuned into CHED its because I'm driving, or stuck at work, or my internets down and i just really really want to experience the hockey. If i cannot experience the hockey from your cast I'm just going to get frustrated and switch to music or something.

Like i said, he's got the charisma, the knowledge, the passion, and the voice. He just needs to understand his audience a little better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just a note on Bob...I dont mind Bobs input.
He has a memory like a steel trap which is good for a color man. He adds insights into the game and opinions which I like to hear. That said....the banter between him and Jack (once again during the play) is habitually over extended IMO.

Reactions: nabob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

That is a perfect example of why I have no desire to listen to his game calling. He sucks the life and play by play details out of the game and then tries to make up for it but ramping up his excitement after the fact.

Dennis at least stays on top of the play and calls it real time. Much better for radio.

Pretty much a spot on assessment. His job is to paint a picture of the play as it happens, so you can imagine what is going on. The only thing I could imagine during McDavids goal, was Brendan Lipsic's western hockey league days.

Reactions: nabob and guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
OP you forgot to end your opening comment with, ON THE OILERS RADIO NETWORK!

You are so right.
Thats another irritation for me. This contrived over the top rendition of the OILERS RADIO NETWORK!
I change the channel right before he does that...usually miss a few minutes of the game before I switch back but its worth it not to listen to Jack say those 3 words. Its just so contrived.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laodongxi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad