Jack Michaels - Oilers PBP

Jack Micaels game calling during the play ....

• Total voters

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's the worst.
Can't stand the screeching voice and the accentuation of certain words. Just a grating voice then you add in he and Stauffer's tendency to drift into different subjects during the game and it's unbearable to listen to.
Oddly enough, I actually don't mind him when he does those prospect combine interviews, maybe because his demeanor is more calm in that setting. In Michael's case, less is more.

The Oilers quite likely have the worst PBP duo in the league in Quinn and Michaels. Kind of fitting for the DoD and Katz's regime in general.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
You are so right.
Thats another irritation for me. This contrived over the top rendition of the OILERS RADIO NETWORK! I change the channel right before he does that...usually miss a few minutes of the game before I switch back but its worth it not to listen to Jack say those 3 words. Its just so contrived.

It almost sounds like hes barking, call it weird but for me its the single most annoying thing about listening to the OILERS RADIO NETWORK!

ah now hes got me doing it too! ****

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I streamed the first period last night and then got busy so I listened to the final two periods on radio. I haven’t listened to Michaels in years and found his call so frustrating because it was impossible to figure out what was going on in the game. My biggest complaint was he’d rarely ever say what the score was and he’d also get side tracked by his and Bob’s rambling about something else. I complained about it whenever a thread popped up on here.

I thought his call last night was very good. He kept the listener informed and he focussed on the game. Bob rarely spoke during the play and when the two did engage in conversation it was usually about whether or not one thought a particular Oiler would make the team. His game calling is greatly improved from what it was for those of you, like myself, who gave up on listening to him years ago.

I’m glad you made this thread Guymez, I was thinking about bumping the old one myself. I just disagree with your assessment. I acknowledge last night may just be a one off but I will give him another chance which is something I wouldn’t have done before.

Reactions: guymez

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hi biggest problem is focusing on the game and what is happening there, instead of listening to the sound of his own voice while he rambles about other stuff. If he could somehow clean that up, he may be more tolerable to some. But a guy that goes off on tangents as goals are being scored or exciting plays happening is simply not doing the job, IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I streamed the first period last night and then got busy so I listened to the final two periods on radio. I haven’t listened to Michaels in years and found his call so frustrating because it was impossible to figure out what was going on in the game. My biggest complaint was he’d rarely ever say what the score was and he’d also get side tracked by his and Bob’s rambling about something else. I complained about it whenever a thread popped up on here.

I thought his call last night was very good. He kept the listener informed and he focussed on the game. Bob rarely spoke during the play and when the two did engage in conversation it was usually about whether or not one thought a particular Oiler would make the team. His game calling is greatly improved from what it was for those of you, like myself, who gave up on listening to him years ago.

I’m glad you made this thread Guymez, I was thinking about bumping the old one myself. I just disagree with your assessment. I acknowledge last night may just be a one off but I will give him another chance which is something I wouldn’t have done before.

I appreciate the post. I dont want to get into the line of thinking that Jack cant learn and wont change. Admittedly I did listen a lot more when he first started the Oilers gig and out of frustration I made it a point to not listen unless I had no other options to catch a game.
The few times I did listen it seemed to me that not much had changed...I listened again last night and it very much seemed like the same old shtick. Some things have simply not changed such as the ridiculous OILERS RADIO NETWORK!!!!!!!
I understand and appreciate that Jack wants to put his signature on a broadcast by doing 'his' thing but manufactured enthusiasm in lieu of professional broadcasting might work for the kids in the listening audience but it doesnt work for me.
As for his PBP call in general...I am open to the possibility that I am judging Jack too harshly so as per your suggestion I will listen to a few more games just to be sure.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
It's like a boxing match to start the game. Might as well have Michael Buffer

"THE OILERS IN BLUE ORANGE GOING LEFT TO RIGHT! THE PENGUINS IN WHITE AND YELLOW GOING RIGHT TO LEFT!"

We'll be back after these messages....From your OILLLLLLLERSSSS network.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
"You're listening to MOTHER f***ING OILERS RADIO SHIT HEADS! More after the break!"

I feel like I'm being accosted every time that's yelled. Well, not that. The actual thing he yells. I'm not sure who told him to do that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Okay...so I listened to Jack again tonight. In all honestly his call was tolerable but his OILERS RADIO NETWORK shtick is worse than ever....now he has added a THIS at the beginning. :laugh:
It sounded like he has ramped that phrase up even more than I remember. He has gone total WWE now...lol

Its just so damn ridiculous...I have no idea how or why he thinks it adds to the broadcast.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I can't stand him still. Not only are most of his observations idiotic he doesn't seem that interested in calling the game.

Stauffer sucks too as a colour guy, he's just a lackey and plays favourites/pushes agendas. I wish Rob Brown was the colour guy, he's an actually competent analyst.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can't stand him still. Not only are most of his observations idiotic he doesn't seem that interested in calling the game.

Stauffer sucks too as a colour guy, he's just a lackey and plays favourites/pushes agendas. I wish Rob Brown was the colour guy, he's an actually competent analyst.

On this we agree. :nod:

I dont mind Bob as a color guy but if Rob Brown didnt sound so monotone I think he would be a great color guy. I like color guys to have played the pro game...they can add so much insight to the broadcast IMO.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I just can’t wait until the games are on normal TV and I don’t have to listen to Jack the Hack anymore. I was pretty happy to have the Jets guys at the start of the game and then Jack bursts in out of no where and blew my ear drums.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Just a note on Bob...I dont mind Bobs input.
He has a memory like a steel trap which is good for a color man. He adds insights into the game and opinions which I like to hear. That said....the banter between him and Jack (once again during the play) is habitually over extended IMO.

I think overall this is the only negative point. I think Bob and Jack are good at what they do. Just gonna keep the banter to a minimum.

Reactions: ujju2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think overall this is the only negative point. I think Bob and Jack are good at what they do. Just gonna keep the banter to a minimum.

So you dont mind Jacks....THIS is the OILERS RADIO NETWORK!!!!....shtick?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Really don't like him. I have two questions:

1. Who will be our PBP guy this year, Quinn or Michaels?
2. Will Debrusk be covering the whole season as the colour commentator? I read somewhere that it would only be 20 games.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Worst PbP in all of sports. Absolute worst. I used to listen to CHED during games but now I avoid it. I honestly cannot stand his quirks and garbage background information that no one cares about. Just play by play the damn game during the game. Stop screaming these ridiculous words like a carnival announcer. "We're going to OVVVVVVVVEEEERRRRTTTTTIMMMMEEEEE"...kill me mow.

Cannot stand him.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The way the guy yells and emphasizes The OILERS ! on 630 CHED ! everytime 630 breaks into a commercial break has got to be the most annoying and ridiculous things on radio. Wife was casually litsening the other day while on her phone because I had the radio on and was like who is that goof and why is he doing that....:laugh:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I must have caught him on a good night. The team won and scored seven goals so he stayed engaged in the game.

I live in Edmonton where every game is televised and the only time I need to listen to him is during the preseason. Only a couple of those games left and I don’t need to think about him for the rest of the year. I feel bad for those of you that live elsewhere and can’t catch every game on tv. The irony is I used to look forward to listening to the games on the radio. Rod Phillips was so good I’d either turn the sound off on the tv or just listen to the game on the radio.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Worst PbP in all of sports. Absolute worst. I used to listen to CHED during games but now I avoid it. I honestly cannot stand his quirks and garbage background information that no one cares about. Just play by play the damn game during the game. Stop screaming these ridiculous words like a carnival announcer. "We're going to OVVVVVVVVEEEERRRRTTTTTIMMMMEEEEE"...kill me mow.

Cannot stand him.

Awesome post!
A carnival announcer....best analogy ever. :laugh: :laugh:
Carney Jack Michaels....Just perfect. :D

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I only ever hear “THOILER!!!! ...radio network”

:laugh:

THOILERS RADIO NETWORK!!!!!
RIIIIIGHT NOW!!!!
OOOOOVVVVERTIME!!!!!!!

Just picture an old style Carnival Announcer...cane/hat and the whole get up....damn I am getting some serious mileage out of this. :laugh:

Reactions: oobga

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3