Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin is coming off leading the league in P/60, Crosby is still Crosby, Letang is still an elite Defensemen.

Jarry is looking to be a very good young goalie.

Until i see Crosby/Malkin/Letang actually slow down, i think this team is still cup caliber minus JJ and a better 3rd line

So what?

There would be several better opportunities over the next 12-24 months for Gallant.

UNLESS the Pens win the lottery. That would change everything.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This team plays fugly hockey anymore with occasional moments of brilliance. It wasn't just bad ice today. Stylistically we are brutal to watch.

Through COVID I've found 'checking out of sports' to be far easier than I thought. If the Penguins don't dismiss the entire coaching staff at least, I will tune out of...whenever '20-'21 starts.

Conor Sheary just fell down outside my window.

Reactions: Fenrir009

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, that's the point I was making there. When I said "cheap", I didn't mean low cost, I mean low cap hit. The Penguins are paying a lot of players a lot of money right now and they're just not getting the ROI that they need to get. Johnson and Schultz are the obvious ones, but Hornqvist and Tanev also fit and guys like Dumoulin, Malkin and Guentzel didn't play up to their pay in this series.

I think the list of players you provided are easy to acquire with Rust, McCann, Murray, and Hornqvist as our trade bait.

JJ likely is going to take a huge package to move after this. As I said since day one.

fastb

Mar 26, 2006
San Mateo, CA
Heh? What’s a worse playoff exit in the team’s history? There was the 3-0 series blown vs NYI, but I wasn’t alive then.

Hell, 2013 comes right to mind. Granted Boston that year was a much better team than these Habs, but scoring 2 goals in a sweep after going all in at the trade deadline is pretty goddamn bad no matter how you slice it.

Or 2010 against the Habs, to finally put the nail in the Igloo's coffin? That was pretty lousy too as I recall.

I wasn't alive in 1975 either, but 1993 was no picnic either...at least that one went to 7 (*cries*).

Or even the sweep just last year? I'm not trying to undersell how many problems *this* team has, but dang, at least they won a game.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
So what?

There would be several better opportunities over the next 12-24 months for Gallant.

Also, is there any reason why Crosby/Malkin/Letang wouldn't slow down? Their average age at the start of next year is going to be 34.

Reactions: KIRK

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Really just a sad game. Looked like regular season effort outside of Jarry who looked like a literal All-Star out there.

really pathetic.

Very excited however to watch Uncle Gary pull some strings to get us Alexis. :thumbu:

Reactions: Prairie Oyster

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think the list of players you provided are easy to acquire with Rust, McCann, Murray, and Hornqvist as our trade bait.

JJ likely is going to take a huge package to move after this. As I said since day one.

Just buy JJ out. his buyout is cheap

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That was a joke.

Thank god.

As I said, give me Gallant, but truth be told, if you were Gallant, how interested would you, as the top available coach by far, be in the Pens job unless they won the lottery?

If JR is here, we've got Sully or Lavs to open next season.

Another reason I hope JR is 'promoted'.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So what?

Gallant isn't a good coach.

He won't tick the buttons we need.

TBH, Lavi is the coach to go with for a retread. He knows how to play a team that can beat the trap. His squads have done it every time on the way to the cup.

Reactions: EliteGoaltending

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Everyone...*sigh*...I hate to be the one to actually say it, but we all know deep down this goes beyond Johnson, Schultz, goalies, Sullivan, or JR.

We all know what this is. We can all feel it. In the 5 stages of grief we are in the denial and anger stages. Some are trying to bargain or trade their way out of it. Accept what it is, get to depression...then accept it fully.

We ALL know what I mean. I'm sad too.

People were warned last summer that moving Kessel meant a rebuild on the fly was starting.

I know some will argue Kessel was wearing out his welcome, and that’s true, but making that argument means you are missing the inevitable overall point.

Hopefully JR can blow things up and rebuild on the fly quickly enough before Crosby and Malkin become ‘98 Gretzky...

Also hate to to pile on the misery around this mopey bus, but JR and Sullivan aren’t going anywhere either.

Best some of you deal with that reality now.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Malkin is coming off leading the league in P/60, Crosby is still Crosby, Letang is still an elite Defensemen.

Jarry is looking to be a very good young goalie.

Until i see Crosby/Malkin/Letang actually slow down, i think this team is still cup caliber minus JJ and a better 3rd line
I agree with Kirk here. I don't think its the dream job it once was. I'd be leery if I was Gallant. He'll have choices.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
remember game 3, last 14 minutes after blowing that lead they barely had a shot...no time out, no screaming at the bench, nothing just a wimo

Reactions: Trade

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
zLBo1ls.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Also, is there any reason why Crosby/Malkin/Letang wouldn't slow down? Their average age at the start of next year is going to be 34.

Exactly.

And Malkin and Letang only have two years left.

It's a 'outside shot over the next two years if the GM works magic while retooling on the fly' gig.

Only the lottery changes that equation.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
If Sullivan stays and JJ and many other pieces that need gone... I may band wagon fan some other team for the first time since I was 15.

I don't have time to piss away 3 hours a night several times a week for a disgusting hockey game. There are so many good teams out there that play a much interesting game and more entertaining.

Penguins are always my team, but I will not support this insult to the game of hockey type of game the penguins play.

Been seeing the twinkle toes fancy pants game for too long now, maybe follow a heavy, hard hitting team...

Going to have to watch every team next season and see which team is most appealing to me...

Can't say any of us really care.

I grew up watching this team go from Mario and Jagr, to Fata and Tarnstrom. The cathartic release of watching us win in 2009, after witnessing the X-Generation, is still one of the greatest highs I've ever had as a sports fan. The day my dog crap Detroit Tigers win a World Series will likely be the same way.

The journey is the best part of being a fan.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In a sense I'm glad the Pens lost, because if this was the entertainment value their play was going to provide next round, I'd prefer to do something else but feel compelled to watch Pittsburgh anyway.

Now I'm free to watch the Raptors and actually enjoy the product I'm giving corporations my eyeballs for.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad