Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Interim Head Coach Sergei Gonchar?

Nah, I love Gonch, but not a Malkin buddy. Or anyone's buddy.

I want a coach who thinks X's and O's are for something other than a kid's game.

Gallant would make all the sense in the world, but unless the Pens win the lottery, I can't imagine that he'd want the job.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Letang was great Defensively, overall had a great series, but his PP performance was brutal. So was Malkin and Crosby too

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
jake and rust are those 1B level players that did not show up...the BART line is what we all knew was: JOKE!

if you suck at least suck with your young hungry player don't suck with Marleu

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Philly is licking its chops to play the Habs.

When Philly finishes off these clowns in 4 or 5 games, will it make this series loss even worse?

Reactions: KIRK

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Nah, I love Gonch, but not a Malkin buddy. Or anyone's buddy.

I want a coach who thinks X's and O's are for something other than a kid's game.

Gallant would make all the sense in the world, but unless the Pens win the lottery, I can't imagine that he'd want the job.

I don't think Gonchar is Malkin's buddy. I think he's a hell of a D coach. Yeah, I'm down for Gallant. But I'd be ok with Gonchar and Martin running things if they couldn't get him right away.

Gonchar has never struck me as anyone's buddy.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Having taken an hour to cool down...I think this was for the best. Obviously this team wasn’t going to go for the cup this year, and pick #15 this season is seriously equivalent to a top-10 in most other years. But most importantly, this HAS to force must-needed changes (right??).

Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are going nowhere. I still really like our top-4, and while they underperformed, we have a nice group of young-ish wingers for the next two-three years, which is our realistic window. A brand new coaching staff will surely galvanize them for next season. And we’ve got a lot of guys champing at the bit. I’m optimistic heading into next year!

Gone: McCann, Marleau, Sheary, Bjugstad, Schultz, Johnson, Murray

Zucker-Crosby-Poulin/Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Blueger-Hornqvist/Poulin
Lafferty-Rodrigues-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

That already looks good without adding any UFAs whatsoever, with a bunch of cap space to do so!

And it looks even better with Lafreniere...

Reactions: WayneSid9987

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
no but let's not necessarly put the blame on Sullie there.
Guentzel mostly looked rattled and rusty and that's no surprise after such injury and such a long time without playing competitive hockey.
There is no certainty we would have seen him contribute more with Geno in his line
But I mean... you should probably try it at some point eh?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Can't get on the coaching. Sully had this patchwork team cruising at the beginning of the season. Start adding guys back, and diminishing roles of guys who were playing well, the proof is in the pudding.

This team was fun to watch from the beginning of December to the beginning of February.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
TOI:

Crosby -19:36
Malkin - 19:04

BTW, Johnson and Schultz BOTH had 15 minutes ES TOI.

Wasn't their ice time similarly under 20 minutes the previous game? I thought I heard Simpson mention that as well in the same conversation he was talking about ZAR and Crosby's ice time.

I know he "stacked" Crosby and Malkin with the goalie pulled, but I remember shaking my head seeing first the McCann line and then the BART line come out with the Pens down 1-0 with 2 minutes left in the game. Not just McCann and Blueger with better wingers, but their actual useless linemates as well.

Reactions: Pittsburgh1776

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Next season, the Pens should just suck from the start right to the end. Don't tease us fans with a few months of playing above their weight. Stop with the stupid injuries that plagues this team too. Just suck, and be good at sucking.

We all know the window is gone. It would take a major overhaul to get back to being contenders and I don't trust Rutherford to make that happen.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
if you are a coach in NHL and you have both healthy eyes and you play shultz 18 minutes in the elimination game, you should not be coach anymore...same with JJ but for that you don't even need to have eyes...

He played them 18 minutes a game after a super long lay-off for everyone to boot. I guess he wanted to rest Letang, Dumo and Marino for the next regular season. Though, Dumo wasn't very good himself, still miles better than those two clowns on the third pairing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Having taken an hour to cool down...I think this was for the best. Obviously this team wasn’t going to go for the cup this year, and pick #15 this season is seriously equivalent to a top-10 in most other years. But most importantly, this HAS to force must-needed changes (right??).

Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are going nowhere. I still really like our top-4, and while they underperformed, we have a nice group of young-ish wingers for the next two-three years, which is our realistic window. A brand new coaching staff will surely galvanize them for next season. And we’ve got a lot of guys champing at the bit. I’m optimistic heading into next year!

Gone: McCann, Marleau, Sheary, Bjugstad, Schultz, Johnson, Murray

Zucker-Crosby-Poulin/Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Blueger-Hornqvist/Poulin
Lafferty-Rodrigues-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

That already looks good without adding any UFAs whatsoever, with a bunch of cap space to do so!

And it looks even better with Lafreniere...

That team doesn't look good, that's a fringe playoff team at best.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Schultz playing as the 6th guy in game 3 and 4 in the final minutes makes me sick to my stomach.

Way to spit in the face of John Marino, who had a great series. one of few.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

When Philly finishes off these clowns in 4 or 5 games, will it make this series loss even worse?

Gonna tell you something. For as much as we like to rag on the Flyers, hiring Chuck Fletcher was a game changer for them. And, then Vigault. And then Vignault bringing in Therrien and Yeo as his assistants.

When I watch the Flyers, I'm watching a team that structurally plays like the 2008 Pens.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Wasn't their ice time similarly under 20 minutes the previous game? I thought I heard Simpson mention that as well in the same conversation he was talking about ZAR and Crosby's ice time.

I know he "stacked" Crosby and Malkin with the goalie pulled, but I remember shaking my head seeing first the McCann line and then the BART line come out with the Pens down 1-0 with 2 minutes left in the game. Not just McCann and Blueger with better wingers, but their actual useless linemates as well.
another fireable mistake

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think Gonchar is Malkin's buddy. I think he's a hell of a D coach. Yeah, I'm down for Gallant. But I'd be ok with Gonchar and Martin running things if they couldn't get him right away.

Gonchar has never struck me as anyone's buddy.

If JR still is the GM, I expect the next coach to be Lavs. JR will take familiarity over the best fit.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if Montreal beat them. Vigneault's recent postseason track record is spotty. And you got a goalie playing his first postseason against Price.

Now if Montreal faces Washington or Tampa...I think they last five games max.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad