Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
You're acting like there was no reason to believe that guys like Sheary and Rust could be legitimate NHL contributors. That's not true. Dreger was insanely high on Sheary when he came into the NHL, I specifically remember that.

Bellerive, DiPauli and Bjorkqivst have nothing in their AHL time so far that suggests they can be the next Sheary or Rust. At least not anytime in the next year or 2.

The next Sheary..... Please don’t tell me that’s an actual thing. Watch that PS again

Reactions: Pens x

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
I refuse to watch until one of Sullivan / JJ are gone.

Fairweather? Hardly friend, hardly. Stormy shit weather follower wading through the sewers fan for many many years.

Considering we've won 2 cups in the last 5 years, 3 in the last 11, and been in 4 finals in the last 12 years, that's a hilarious statement. 90% of the league must have drowned in piss water years ago by your standards.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
WE just won back to backs a couple years ago
I refuse to watch until one of Sullivan / JJ are gone.

Fairweather? Hardly friend, hardly. Stormy shit weather follower wading through the sewers fan for many many years.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Why can't we compromise and throw both their asses out the door?

You want compromise?
DfBArlF.png

Twenty years following this team. I wanted a winger for Crosby, but I compromised. I watched Pascal Dupuis instead. I wanted Sid to win a 4th cup but I compromised. I watched Jack Johnson play 17 minutes a night in the playoffs.

You get where I'm comin' from here?

Reactions: KIRK

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
To me, Crosby and Malkin stay. Probably Letang too. Guentzel and Marino, and Jarry. Everybody else is expendable. Make big changes. Give the two superstars one or two more shots at the Cup, and then deal with what comes after. They aren't in a nursing home, they just aren't what they once were. But with good wingers and D they can still be the difference.

For as much love as Marino gets around here how many points did he have in 4 games??

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Re-read the context of the discussion. We're talking about 2016, not 2020. We're talking about what players from WBS can be what Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Dumoulin and such were in 2016 and 2017.

Fair enough. Seeing the context of the next Sheary made me think the NHL could be in my future. But then again I’m 38 and can’t skate

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The system is clearly flawed. All offense and no defense and a doughnut to show for it. Players didn't care so why should we? What will change next year? Absolutely nothing. Sully will trout out the same tired system with some different d-men.

Reactions: KIRK

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
You want compromise?
DfBArlF.png

Twenty years following this team. I wanted a winger for Crosby, but I compromised. I watched Pascal Dupuis instead. I wanted Sid to win a 4th cup but I compromised. I watched Jack Johnson play 17 minutes a night in the playoffs.

The Pens choke job against Montreal--whatever happened there.

Reactions: Pancakes

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Wilson's a clown because he's picking specific trades instead of looking at everything as a whole.
I think Rutherford has done more 'miss' moves than 'hit' ones. And his 'misses' are usually big ones and 'hits' are often lucky ones/lucky to work out the way it did.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You want compromise?
DfBArlF.png

200.gif

Reactions: Bnat66

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I think we see why Hockey coaches have such a short shelf life. Their systems work for 2-3 years max after that the players get bored

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Rutherford has done more 'miss' moves than 'hit' ones. And his 'misses' are usually big ones and 'hits' are often lucky ones/lucky to work out the way it did.

The Marino trade was so good and not just JR getting lucky that it invalidates multiple bad moves JR has made.

There are much better things to criticize with JR than his trade record over the last 2 years.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Wilson's a clown because he's picking specific trades instead of looking at everything as a whole.
Legit question, genuinely curious--what do you disagree with in that post?

For the record, I agree Wilson's a clown. But I think he's spot on about JR wheelin' and dealin' too freely and missing a ton in recent years. For every good trade, there are several bad ones.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
You want compromise?
DfBArlF.png

To be fair, Dupuis isn't who we meant to acquire for 87's wing; Hossa burned us. Shero made attempts to find wingers when he was here. Iginla, Guerin, Neal, Hossa. JR brought in Kessel and Hornqvist. We've acquired wingers during Crosby's tenure, but almost all of them either haven't clicked with him, were terribly mismanaged, or declined outright.

Reactions: Doogle and Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Marino trade was so good and not just JR getting lucky that it invalidates multiple bad moves JR has made.

The problem with a lot of JR's bad moves is they were obviously bad when he made them.

Like there's no surprise that JJ didn't work out. If JR is surprised by that he's a moron. Anyone who payed half a mind to analytics could have seen that one coming. And I know the Pens have an analytics department and presumably they told JR the same thing. So why did he sign JJ anyways? Mystifying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad