Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I didn’t think you did. He just won’t hit JJ levels of hatred because he’s not useless. Not unless Tanev becomes totally awful next season.

Part of that is Sullivan being married to Tanev on L4. It’s more a bad contract for a 3rd liner for now, but he’s on L4. I did find it funny when 10 games in some people had decided that the contract was in fact good and he’d be in the top 6. His production slowed down. He’s a good energy guy for the bottom 6 who JR went insane for because he’s sometimes unhinged. It’s better than a terrible D getting a huge contract but neither should have happened.

Cal Clutterbuck has a similar contract with the Islanders. He's also a 4th liner. He made our life difficult last year which is why (I believe) JR went for Tanev.

I originally was concerned about the salary, but for what he brings to the table, I think he's worth it. He just needs to be the leader on that line though, and not just a part of it.

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
2 G each for Olli Maatta and Jamie Oleksiak. Meanwhile the Pens blueliners combined had zero. Not saying that we should have kept those guys but what an absolute embarrassment for the team that the D aren't scoring; esp when you look at guys like Shea Weber chipping in goals for the other team. Obviously, its a lack of situational awareness by the point men, getting shots blocked/off-net all the time. Even more so, this is an indictment of the coaching, and the ability of the forwards to make good plays to the trailing D men to put them in a position to score, maintaining puck possession, setting screens, etc. Like what's the point of having active D and point men pinching if your D never score?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll say it, they absolutely should have kept Oleksiak :laugh:

But I'm not going to make that argument based on them having 2 goals in the playoffs, though. Maatta should have been moved because he became too expensive for what he reasonably could have provided for the Penguins. He's basically the same as Pettersson but a worse skater. But Oleksiak? He'd be a perfect 3rd pair LD for this team that can play both sides and seems like a good fit for POJ when POJ arrives.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'll say it, they absolutely should have kept Oleksiak :laugh:

But I'm not going to make that argument based on them having 2 goals in the playoffs, though. Maatta should have been moved because he became too expensive for what he reasonably could have provided for the Penguins. He's basically the same as Pettersson but a worse skater. But Oleksiak? He'd be a perfect 3rd pair LD for this team that can play both sides and seems like a good fit for POJ when POJ arrives.

Oh, they should have. I’m pretty sure he’s what they think JJ is for the most part only not terrible with a terrible contract. They’ve had problems assessing D and JR got angry Wilson knocked him out.

The frustrating thing with Maatta is the string of moves it was. Signed Hunwick to a bad deal, traded Sheary with Hunwick for cap space for JJ, Hunwick barely played after the trade because of an injury, traded Maatta for Kahun and cap relief, traded Gudbranson because Marino exploded, traded Kahun for Sheary and Rodrigues. It just shows how little of a plan there was. I’d rather have any of those D than JJ for various reasons and if they’d kept Sheary the Maatta or Kahun trade could have been different.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Tanev is not a 4th liner.

Our usage of the 3rd and 4th lines was just...weird this season. We didn't try to put together a strong 3rd line and relegate the 4th to like 2 shifts/period as is traditional.

Instead we cast the BART line as our "shutdown" line and the 3rd as the rotating island of more-talented-misfit-toys. They played equal minutes from what I recall.

Personally I think Blueger and Tanev are good enough to be 2/3rds of a decent L3 but they need a strong LW to go with them. Better than ZAR and Simon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->