Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like I said, Lavi has proven to be able to beat a trap team in each of his runs. Issue there is he is terrible with young players.

Kind of your problem. You need both.

Maybe if JR is here he goes with Vellucci.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
They had a PRESS CONFERENCE to say that his last team was wrong about him...lol
Man oh man, Rutherford could go in retirement on a high note, after winning two Cups, instead, the organization (Mario/Burkle/Morehouse?) wasted another prime years of Sid/Geno giving Rutherford extension. And him doing his hit and big miss moves and also singing Sully.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I suggest pulling up that thread. Tons of people said he'd be good the first two years and fall off later and that regardless "JR FIXES HIS MISTAKES".

Ehh I'll take your word for it and save people the embarrassment.

Nobody should have to be reminded of having once supported Jack Johnson.

Them knowing is punishment enough.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In a sense I'm glad the Pens lost, because if this was the entertainment value their play was going to provide next round, I'd prefer to do something else but feel compelled to watch Pittsburgh anyway.

Now I'm free to watch the Raptors and actually enjoy the product I'm giving corporations my eyeballs for.

I also personally don't think losing to the Habs will be as annoying because their fans are more upset at winning. If we beat the Habs and then lost to the Bruins or Caps, it would be unbearable.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Malkin is coming off leading the league in P/60, Crosby is still Crosby, Letang is still an elite Defensemen.

Jarry is looking to be a very good young goalie.

Until i see Crosby/Malkin/Letang actually slow down, i think this team is still cup caliber minus JJ and a better 3rd line
but you need a coach to accomodate for a change in their play, you can't play Geno with Fedotenko or corpse of Kunitz or whatever other terrible winger he had and still kill it. He was great cause he played with Jake and Rust best line he had been ever, same for sid, the zone entries, transitional offense with different type of d-man, etc....the team needs to change

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can't say any of us really care.

I grew up watching this team go from Mario and Jagr, to Fata and Tarnstrom. The cathartic release of watching us win in 2009, after witnessing the X-Generation, is still one of the greatest highs I've ever had as a sports fan. The day my dog crap Detroit Tigers win a World Series will likely be the same way.

The journey is the best part of being a fan.

I don't mind sitting through a rebuild/retool. Where it kind of bothers me is if I have to sit and watch Sid/Geno finish the rest of their careers on bubble teams.

If both guys were traded/retired (obviously not) right now, I'd be all gung-ho about what's going to happen next. As it is, I'm just bothered by it.

Reactions: farscape1

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I also personally don't think losing to the Habs will be as annoying because their fans are more upset at winning. If we beat the Habs and then lost to the Bruins or Caps, it would be unbearable.

The best part is we get a really solid pick out of this and a potential # 1 pick.

We essentially got to see this team play playoff hockey. They sucked at it and now we get the rewards of missing the playoffs.

Would've been wonderful to see them go deep. But to be honest, it seems pretty obvious the NHL is shifting back to a more defensive league.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The best part is we get a really solid pick out of this and a potential # 1 pick.

We essentially got to see this team play playoff hockey. They sucked at it and now we get the rewards of missing the playoffs.

Would've been wonderful to see them go deep. But to be honest, it seems pretty obvious the NHL is shifting back to a more defensive league.

I'd consider it fate if we end up drafting Lafreniere out of this mess.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh

no because I’m pretty sure JR said he’s giving Minny our pick if it’s not #1

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
That team doesn't look good, that's a fringe playoff team at best.
I didn’t check the numbers so this is a wild guess, but it’s also a team with somewhere in the vicinity of $15-20M of open cap to greatly upgrade 3LW, the third pair, and 3C if necessary.

Subtracting McCann (1.25), Marleau (0.70), Sheary (3.0), Bjugstad (4.1), Schultz (5.5), Johnson (3.25), and Murray (3.75) opens 21.5M in cap space. Say we trade Simon and Riikola, that’s more than 23M open.

Resign Rodrigues at 2.0 (+0.0), Lafferty at 1.5 (+0.75), and Jarry at 3.75 (+3.0). Bring in Poulin and DeSmith. Call it 18M of cap space. We could seriously chase Hall or Pietrangelo. But we could realistically bring in a guy like Hamonic or Tanev to play with POJ at ~3.5 and a guy like Haula or Toffoli to play on the third line at ~4.5 and still have $10M in cap space to play with now and in the future.

Zucker-Crosby-Poulin/Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Haula-Blueger-Hornqvist/Poulin
Lafferty-Rodrigues-Tanev
Johnson

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Tanev
Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

I think that looks pretty damn good.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
no because I’m pretty sure JR said he’s giving Minny our pick if it’s not #1

All the more reason to fire him. Barring an absolute beyond tire fire 2021, this is likely going to be the highest pick we'll have for a while, with or without a draft lottery win.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
I hope Poulin, Legare and POJ develop nicely. This team is stale and needs youth.

Wouldn't hurt to throw in Lafreniere as well.

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Fairweather eh bud? Holy cow, are you even a fan. I’ll private message ya if we get the number one overall, but otherwise have a good one bud.

I refuse to watch until one of Sullivan / JJ are gone.

Fairweather? Hardly friend, hardly. Stormy shit weather follower wading through the sewers fan for many many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad