Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere?

Who’s the better prospect?

• Total voters

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
His USHL stats regressed between 17-18 and 18-19 but somehow he was going to destroy QMJHL which is the stronger league. Seems optimistic. But that's business as usual, a lot of "shudda cudda wudda" with Jack Hughes.
Yeah, a lot of that going around it looks like.

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Jack would have far more success offensively if he played wing. Lafreniere will get more than 20 something points in his rookie season.

They put him on the wing some last year and I will say, he was a complete disaster. Some of that may be a lack of chemistry, and of course, he clearly wasn't ready in any regard to be in the NHL, but oof, it did not look promising.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I think Quinn skates the best of the three. Jack has the best offensive skills. Luke has the most well-rounded game.
Well the three brothers and their parents all agreed that Jack was the best skater, Quinn had the best handles, and Luke was 'better than Quinn at Quinn's age and is bigger'. Jack and Quinn also think Luke is better than them but I think that is more brotherly love than anything

Id love to find you the video as I wanna re-watch it but it was a draft special I havent been able to find recently

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Unless Laf goes to RW he’s going to have some stiff competition for prime scoring minutes. Panarin and Zibanejad are well established and Kakko will step up at some point in the next year or so.

In contrast NJ is just waiting for Jack to move the needle on the team’s offense. Does not mean one is better or worse but it might change their numbers to some extent.

I expect both to be excellent.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Unless Laf goes to RW he’s going to have some stiff competition for prime scoring minutes. Panarin and Zibanejad are well established and Kakko will step up at some point in the next year or so.

In contrast NJ is just waiting for Jack to move the needle on the team’s offense. Does not mean one is better or worse but it might change their numbers to some extent.

I expect both to be excellent.

Zibanejad is a center.
Yeah he’ll be behind Panarin for minutes at first but that’s not a bad thing to start with. I think he’ll probably “split” minutes with Kreider until it shakes out who is going to be more productive at that spot this year depending on line mates

Kakko is a RW

1st PP minutes might be the main thing he has to fight for but probably will get a look at the point
Panarin-Zibanejad-Kreider
Lafreniere-DeAngelo

Maybe

Reactions: alexislafreniere

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Well the three brothers and their parents all agreed that Jack was the best skater, Quinn had the best handles, and Luke was 'better than Quinn at Quinn's age and is bigger'. Jack and Quinn also think Luke is better than them but I think that is more brotherly love than anything

Id love to find you the video as I wanna re-watch it but it was a draft special I havent been able to find recently
I feel like they always say this about the youngest brother, they said the same things about Jordan Subban and about Jared Staal :laugh:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Lafreniere for sure. His stats were similar to Connors draft year. Also i'm not too impressed with Quinns brother. I personally think Hughes will become an offensive player but Laf will become a franchise player.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

Quinn could skate circles around Jack these days.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Laf has the edge imo BC while in the pure skill department the two are close (with perhaps an edge to Hughes), we've seen stronger evidence that Laf has more professionalism/competitive desire... That separates good from great when it comes to translating talent to impact.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
This isn't even close IMO. Hughes is a Matthews/Eichel caliber talent while Lafreniere is not at that level.

This might be the wrongest thing i've every seen posted on the internet, because its wrong in just so many, compound ways. Its like an MC Escher drawing of wrongness.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't know how to compare because I don't know how USDP points would translate to the Q

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't know how to compare because I don't know how USDP points would translate to the Q
Watching them play rather than looking at the stats might be a good way to determine who you like more. One player takes the middle of the ice the other is terrified of taking it atleast this year in the NHL. I couldnt believe how pereferal Jack Hughes was this year, especially considering how fearless Quinn Hughes is. They are opposites in that regard which is a little suprising.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Lol why is that?

Quinn surely is stronger in his legs as of right now but its not that big a difference

Jack's straight line speed needs work. He has elite edges, but Quinn has him beaten there as well.

He's just a much stronger skater and his straight line speed is on another level right now.

Reactions: Ippenator

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Quinn could skate circles around Jack these days.

Jack hasn’t really had a chance to show his skills. Quinn has free reign up there on the blue line. And seems like the more confident player at the moment. As Jack grows he’ll show off those hands and wheels he did in junior.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Watching them play rather than looking at the stats might be a good way to determine who you like more. One player takes the middle of the ice the other is terrified of taking it atleast this year in the NHL. I couldnt believe how pereferal Jack Hughes was this year, especially considering how fearless Quinn Hughes is. They are opposites in that regard which is a little suprising.
Why couldn’t you believe it, Jack is absolutely tiny and weak. Remember when he got destroyed by Niskanen(?) who barely even hit him? I’d avoid the dirty areas too.

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
I'll wait and see when Jack has an actual coaching staff and linemates not named Miles Wood, and Wayne Simmonds.

Or wait till they both can drink a beer

Reactions: deflowd

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
anyone that is making judgments off of Hughes based on last year really need to re-evaluate

Hughes was the first player to ever jump from the USNTDP to the NHL at 18 years old...there was always going to be growing pains. Plus, the Devils were a trainwreck last year with a clueless coach.

Laf is going to also be a beast as well, so don't take this post as me putting him down.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
I think Jack's skating ultimately grants him a higher upside. That being said, I think Lafrenière's versatility and willingness to attack tight spaces will ultimately make him more successful.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Look I want to kill the Devil as much as the next Ranger fan but lets wait until Alexis has played at least 1 minute of ice time. geez. Hughes doesn't look developed yet either and needs to put on more weight to really have a chance plus he has a lot less help than AL will. So lets take all that into account in like 3 years which is when you can have this conversation.

Reactions: RememberTheName

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jack's straight line speed needs work. He has elite edges, but Quinn has him beaten there as well.

He's just a much stronger skater and his straight line speed is on another level right now.

Jack has some of the best speed with the puck you’ll see. He’s faster with the puck than without. You can’t say that for many. Quinn’s ability to pivot from off-balance situations is remarkable. He has the best skating balance in hockey.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Jack has some of the best speed with the puck you’ll see. He’s faster with the puck than without. You can’t say that for many. Quinn’s ability to pivot from off-balance situations is remarkable. He has the best skating balance in hockey.

If he has some of the best straight line speed in the NHL(with or without the puck) he sure didn't showcase it in his first Season. He wasn't as explosive as advertised. He most certainly does have elite edges and agility, and that was evident in every game I've seen. I've always been more impressed with Quinn's skating.

With that being said I do believe Jack is a great talent and will be an 80+ point center in his prime.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad