Jun 26, 2017
2nd NHL seasons:

Goals per 60 Minutes:
Laf: .98
Hughes: .62

Points per 60 Minutes:
Laf: 1.34
Hughes: 1.74

This is with Hughes being spoon-fed top PP minutes while Laf barely gets a sniff. Offensively not that far off when you start taking in account the amount of ice time each is getting.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
2nd NHL seasons:

Goals per 60 Minutes:

Points per 60 Minutes:

This is with Hughes being spoon-fed top PP minutes while Laf barely gets a sniff. Offensively not that far off when you start taking in account the amount of ice time each is getting.

Hughes was also 19 his whole 2nd season while Laf's been 20 the whole time. Hughes also had elite underlying metrics and micro stats. I think people are too hard on Laf considering he's still only 20 and he'll probably figure it out eventually but if you're comparing sophomore years it's clear cut Hughes.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
2nd NHL seasons:

Goals per 60 Minutes:

Points per 60 Minutes:

Jack Hughes was a significantly better 5v5 player in his second year than Lafreniere has been, so it makes sense he gets more PP time:

CF% - 55.1 vs 46.14
xG% - 53.72 vs 48.36
SCF% - 56.45 vs. 44.83
HDCF% - 54.47 vs. 47.39

It is still early in both of their careers, but Hughes has been significantly better.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
2nd NHL seasons:

Goals per 60 Minutes:

Points per 60 Minutes:

And Hughes still had a higher p/60 than Laf's current p/60 at even strength. While playing against tougher competition, and way worse line mates.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
2nd NHL seasons:

Goals per 60 Minutes:

Points per 60 Minutes:

You posted rate stats, which are 5v5 so PP time and total toi are irrelevant. Surprised you didn’t know that lmao

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not really understanding Lafreniere at all to be honest. He received top billing in his draft year and looked like a powerful, dynamic scoring winger and mostly uncontested as a top 2 pick. Comes to the NHL and seems like a physically average, somewhat slower guy with very little pop from an offensive skillset point of view. Like what gives, is it lost development time, too much CHL overhype? Will he still evolve into a Huberdeau type?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I’m not really understanding Lafreniere at all to be honest. He received top billing in his draft year and looked like a powerful, dynamic scoring winger and mostly uncontested as a top 2 pick. Comes to the NHL and seems like a physically average, somewhat slower guy with very little pop from an offensive skillset point of view. Like what gives, is it lost development time, too much CHL overhype? Will he still evolve into a Huberdeau type?
I don't see any of the vision or puck skills that would amount to Huberdeau. As you said, even the physical skills don't jump off the ice. His recent success, such as it's been, has been as a complementary player to two first-line players and he doesn't seem close to the type that's going to drive his own line.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
2nd NHL seasons:

Goals per 60 Minutes:

Points per 60 Minutes:

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Bet the Over

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Lafreniere has 35 points in his career. Hughes has 33 points this season.

And Hughes (May 2001) is only 5 months older than Lafreniere (October 2001) so spare me the age and development spiel.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't see any of the vision or puck skills that would amount to Huberdeau. As you said, even the physical skills don't jump off the ice. His recent success, such as it's been, has been as a complementary player to two first-line players and he doesn't seem close to the type that's going to drive his own line.

Me neither. If anything, Lafreniere looks like a case of false advertising and it makes me wary of all the mainstream hype that comes out of the CHL and Canadian media machinery. Speaking as a Canadian. How could they be so sure when talking about his incumbent status as the presumed first overall and then be so off once the puck is dropped?

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
Its probably a little bit of everything. He was overhyped and definitely could of used another year of development outside of the NHL, but for whatever reason, the Rangers decided to develop him in the NHL. The fact that he's looked so bad most of the time and they didn't send him down has made his career numbers look terrible. Still, even while looking bad for long stretches this year, his 5v5 numbers(he gets no real PP time) this year are right there with some of the other players from his draft, his 1.52 pts/60 put him just above Stutzle's 1.32 and below Raymond's 1.75 pts/60.

In 4 years, when he is 24/25 can he get to Huberdeau's level? I don't think so. Him becoming a 1.4ppg player seems, at least right now, to be a bit of a stretch. That said, he has been one of the Rangers best players the last few games since moving up to the first line(playing his off wing) and is only 20, so maybe? Next season we'll have a clearer picture of his true trajectory. If he continues his good play and carries it over to the playoffs and next season, then sure why not. If he can't stick on the 1st line and goes back to long stretches where he is invisible, then he most likely is what he is, and tops out as a decent 2/3rd line winger.

Reactions: D3vilsH0ck3y

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Me neither. If anything, Lafreniere looks like a case of false advertising and it makes me wary of all the mainstream hype that comes out of the CHL and Canadian media machinery. Speaking as a Canadian. How could they be so sure when talking about his incumbent status as the presumed first overall and then be so off once the puck is dropped?

I don't want to write him off year ~8 months away even his debut but it might be happening again with Wright. It is a little different since people have cooled off on him

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
This is an older post BTW

It is 567-296 Laf, but most of those votes came before their were drafted

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Its probably a little bit of everything. He was overhyped and definitely could of used another year of development outside of the NHL, but for whatever reason, the Rangers decided to develop him in the NHL. The fact that he's looked so bad most of the time and they didn't send him down has made his career numbers look terrible. Still, even while looking bad for long stretches this year, his 5v5 numbers(he gets no real PP time) this year are right there with some of the other players from his draft, his 1.52 pts/60 put him just above Stutzle's 1.32 and below Raymond's 1.75 pts/60.

In 4 years, when he is 24/25 can he get to Huberdeau's level? I don't think so. Him becoming a 1.4ppg player seems, at least right now, to be a bit of a stretch. That said, he has been one of the Rangers best players the last few games since moving up to the first line(playing his off wing) and is only 20, so maybe? Next season we'll have a clearer picture of his true trajectory. If he continues his good play and carries it over to the playoffs and next season, then sure why not. If he can't stick on the 1st line and goes back to long stretches where he is invisible, then he most likely is what he is, and tops out as a decent 2/3rd line winger.

Interesting thing about Huberdeau is he's actually 28, drafted in 2011, and it wasn't even until his 6+ draft year that he started putting up above 60 points. Not sure if this says anything about Huberdeau's ultimate upside, but there are those late bloomers in the game too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't want to write him off year ~8 months away even his debut but it might be happening again with Wright. It is a little different since people have cooled off on him

Yeah I noticed the gradual Wright downrating too. He was compared to an explosive franchise changing center Nathan Mackinnon last year, and now is being reigned in as a do it all Patrice Bergeron last I checked. Interesting to follow the hype curve sometimes.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You cant tell me that the NHL gods dont have a sense of humour. Laf is a great example of that.

What once looked like a gift from the heavens to the Rangers - a sure-fire prospect that was ready to make an immediate impact (on the right team) and in no way deserving of the 1st OV pick - the Rangers have seemingly shot themselves in the foot and/or got a lemon at the draft.

Anyone that says Laf was a product of the media is out to lunch though. He did everything possible within his power to go 1st OV that year. I was easily one of Quinton Byfields biggest fans and supporters around these boards. He might literally have been my favourite prospect that Ive followed in the last 20 years (Spezza sounds about right).

And even I would not have been able to pass on Laffreniere had the Sens won the 1st OV pick (trading down to #2 would have been an option I would consider though). He was too sure-fire to pass on, he was destined to be at very least a great scoring winger.

I wouldnt have believed this reality was even remotely possible 2 years ago. Especially on the Rangers, where yes even though Panarin plays #1st line LW at ES, there are other weapons and PP opportunities that still could have made this a perfect fit for him (if he wasnt struggling so badly).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good Lord, guys, give it a couple more seasons - Laf is 20 and getting no PP time / playing with lesser players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad