Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere?

Who’s the better prospect?

• Total voters

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well, I see that some of you exaggerates a lot on how Hughes is better than Lafreniere. Skating alone doesn’t make up a player, so I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on that. Not taking anything away from Hughes, he’s a tremendous player and franchise type changing player.

However, looking at the poll as of this moment, Hughes with 134 votes (50.6%) and Lafreniere with 131 votes (49.4%), that for me says there’s no consensus on who’s the better player. And it says a lot about Lafreniere if he’s being voted equal to Hughes. While still being younger.

Actually, this poll means jack.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This poll is basically asking you what country you're from. They're both great players don't see why they have to always be compared.
I'm Canadian and voted for Hughes. I don't think there is significant bias at play in this. I'd say most people from NA have a stronger affiliation with their NHL teams than any particular nationality bias when it comes to evaluating Hockey Prospects. Now, I'm not saying this is universally true, obviously, some bias will creep in with certain posters.

Reactions: TheMule93 and Gains

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'd still lean Hughes on this question. He has a bit more gamebreaking skill and has the chance of playing the more important question. But, Lafreniere is the best Canadian winger since at least Hall at the junior level. Past that your debating guys like R. Nash and Dany Heatley.

Hall was definitely highly touted coming out of junior, I'm not going to say Lafreniere is higher than him. Theres still time before draft to really see how that plays out, but I think Lafreniere already has more hype than Heatley or Nash. Nash was the to guy in a weak draft year and I dont remember him getting the sure fire star talk, or really dominating any tournaments for Canada. Heatley everyone knew he was gonna score but also knew he couldnt skate.

I wont argue Hall wasnt as hyped up, but I think AL has more hype than the other 2. Not sure who you have to go back to from there to get a comparable. Most Canadians with this much talent play center

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Hughes numbers are in between eichel and matthews, and is in that tier thus far
but Lafreniere's numbers as a 16 year old are insane. Hard to say whos better tbh.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Q preseason kicked off yesterday. Rimouski played - Lafreniere didn't. There are 3 other games on the schedule for RIM this week. Does anybody know if young Alexis will be playing, or are the regular big name players eased into camp later on in early Sept?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm Canadian and voted for Hughes. I don't think there is significant bias at play in this. I'd say most people from NA have a stronger affiliation with their NHL teams than any particular nationality bias when it comes to evaluating Hockey Prospects. Now, I'm not saying this is universally true, obviously, some bias will creep in with certain posters.

At this point it's more subtle but the bias after a player gets drafted by a particular organization is blatant

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
At this point it's more subtle but the bias after a player gets drafted by a particular organization is blatant

Uh team bias is way more prevalent than nationality bias. I don't even think most fans care about a players nationality tbh.

Jeffhabs20

Jul 6, 2010
Quebec City.
Bump looking at the polls its pretty much a tie, cant wait to see them both in the nhl, they will be pretty damn good, i voted for Jack Hughes myself.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
but Lafreniere's numbers as a 16 year old are insane. Hard to say whos better tbh.
U17 season stats:

Eichel: 18 pts in 22 GP at USNTDP U18
2 pts in 7 GP at U18 WJC

Matthew: 17 pts in 20 GP at USNTDP U18
7 pts in 7 GP at U18 WJC

Hughes: 68 pts in 36 GP at USNTDP U18
12 pts in 7 GP at U18 WJC

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
U17 season stats:

Eichel: 18 pts in 22 GP at USNTDP U18
2 pts in 7 GP at U18 WJC

Matthew: 17 pts in 20 GP at USNTDP U18
7 pts in 7 GP at U18 WJC

Hughes: 68 pts in 36 GP at USNTDP U18
12 pts in 7 GP at U18 WJC
Yeah, Hughes numbers are ridiculous. He did luck out a bit with the 2000's having significant lack of center depth allowing him to be immediately promoted to being the first line center. Matthews for example was coming off injury and when promoted was behind Eichel and Larkin. So, while a lot of it is skill, a lot of it is also the opportunity. Hughes as soon as promoted got to play on a line with the two best 2000 forwards in Wahlstrom and Farabee.

Last edited:

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Yeah, Hughes numbers are ridiculou. He did luck out a bit with the 2000's having significant lack of center depth allowing him to be immediately promoted to being the first line center. Matthews for example was coming off injury and when promoted was behind Eichel and Larkin. So, while a lot of it is skill, a lot of it is also the opportunity. Hughes as soon as promoted got to play on a line with the two best 2000 forwards in Wahlstrom and Farabee.
oh it's definitely not a great comparison without context and these birth year comparisons tend to under rate late birthday players unfairly anyway.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Uh team bias is way more prevalent than nationality bias. I don't even think most fans care about a players nationality tbh.
I've found this to be more true with N.A posters then European posters on HF when it comes to prospects, most N.A. posters seem to be fairly reasonable and tend to head into out of their mind bias territory only when a prospect has been drafted by their team but before they are drafted by anyone most tend to just look at it from the perspective of who they think is/will be the better player.

But i've found the European posters to a far greater degree tend to just go to the cross with whatever player is from their country when comparisons are made with another prospect from a different country. Certainly not all but a lot more percentage wise.

Not sure where the difference comes from in terms of the hyper nationalism with many of them.

Oh, count me as another Canadian who still prefers Hughes as of right now, Lafreniere has closed the gap for me but I would still go with Jack at this stage.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I've found this to be more true with N.A posters then European posters on HF when it comes to prospects, most N.A. posters seem to be fairly reasonable and tend to head into out of their mind bias territory only when a prospect has been drafted by their team but before they are drafted by anyone most tend to just look at it from the perspective of who they think is/will be the better player.

But i've found the European posters to a far greater degree tend to just go to the cross with whatever player is from their country when comparisons are made with another prospect from a different country. Certainly not all but a lot more percentage wise.

Not sure where the difference comes from in terms of the hyper nationalism with many of them.

Oh, count me as another Canadian who still prefers Hughes as of right now, Lafreniere has closed the gap for me but I would still go with Jack at this stage.
They have local teams they cheer for that and don't tend to prioritize a particular NHL team to the same extent as local fans.

Also, like 50% of the NHL is Canadians, it is really hard to be biased towards all of them.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They have local teams they cheer for that and don't tend to prioritize a particular NHL team to the same extent as local fans.

Also, like 50% of the NHL is Canadians, it is really hard to be biased towards all of them.
Very true.

Hard not to notice the difference between European/N.A posters around these parts when it comes to prospects though, it sticks out like a sore thumb really quick the minute you join the boards here.

I will normally trust a posters judgement from Canada/U.S when it comes to prospects over most European posters here just because of that unless I have seen over time the European poster has proven themselves to just judge on the player itself rather then the flag.

I've found those guys rather tough to find around here but there a few who have earned my trust and always pay attention to.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Hughes had one point less than Mathews record while being a year younger. He will be a great player. He needs size, I think, but he is still growing. AL is also fantastic! Who cares who is better? Hughes the best player for 2019 so far and has done nothing to change that while AL is the best player for 2020 and has nothing to change that. It is great for hockey!

habbyboolin

Sep 14, 2018
Montréal
I like Lafreniere's game quite a bit. Hughes has some game breaking speed and hands but I think Alexis is more well rounded with the same offensive potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->