Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere?

Who’s the better prospect?

• Total voters

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I've found this to be more true with N.A posters then European posters on HF when it comes to prospects, most N.A. posters seem to be fairly reasonable and tend to head into out of their mind bias territory only when a prospect has been drafted by their team but before they are drafted by anyone most tend to just look at it from the perspective of who they think is/will be the better player.

But i've found the European posters to a far greater degree tend to just go to the cross with whatever player is from their country when comparisons are made with another prospect from a different country. Certainly not all but a lot more percentage wise.

Not sure where the difference comes from in terms of the hyper nationalism with many
It's because we are way smaller nations, and prospect pool is obviously way smaller, so pretty much every single good prospect feels like one of our own. NA countries produce top talent all the time just by having huge amount of players, so it doesn't matter. When small countries have these top prospects, they are highly touted because who knows when another one is coming.

I think the closest comparison would be that if there was some top prospect from your hometown, would there be bias? Also you can hate some Canadian/US players just because he scores against your team or causes injuries, but honestly nobody here has so strong ties to any NHL team (Yeah man! Chicago forever! (Since 2010)

And even if you're a hardcore fan of some NHL team, it won't surpass national team. The biggest thing for us isn't SC playoffs, it's Olympics or even WC for the most.

So for example: Would people from Texas be biased towards an NFL prospect from their state university vs some other prospects from Alabama or Ohio?

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
They will both be fighting for Art Ross’, though I think Jack will produce more while Lafreniere provides more elsewhere - which is funny considering Jack is the C

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Jack would have far more success offensively if he played wing. Lafreniere will get more than 20 something points in his rookie season.
Jack is a natural center in how he plays the ice and positions himself

Nobody hates Malkin or Barzal at center so why cant Jack? They all play the perimeter and cut to the middle to open space

And Lafreniere isnt going to a bottom feeder at 5’10” 170, so I expect he produces more than 26 yes

Reactions: The Sweetness

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
My view - I think Hughes has more high-end skills and is faster.
I believe Lafrenière is more of a north south guy who creates a lot of plays from nothing.
My perception is that Lafrenière game is better suited to the NHL. The Rangers are in a better place too. Anyway, we'll see how physical Alexis can be playing with men. He held his own in junior.
Hughes had very little support. Hall was traded. Palmieri and Gusev led the team.
Jack knows what the NHL is now, so he should step forward.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
I think Jack Hughes will surprise everyone, he was touted to be the best Hughes. He’ll have a breakout next season for sure.
This so much. People seem to forget all of what youve built after you have one bad season

Jack is the best skater of the three and people are talking about how Quinn's skating makes him an insanely influental player. Now imagine a same sized player but BETTER skater who plays forward... doesnt that smell like a lot of points to you? Lmao

Reactions: KappoTheGoat

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This so much. People seem to forget all of what youve built after you have one bad season

Jack is the best skater of the three and people are talking about how Quinn's skating makes him an insanely influental player. Now imagine a same sized player but BETTER skater who plays forward... doesnt that smell like a lot of points to you? Lmao
There are plenty of better skaters as well, such as Miles Wood, Michael Grabner, etc.

People just see Hughes's skating, that doesn't mean it's the only aspect of his game that makes him successful. A defenseman can't have such an impact with skating alone, not at all. I mean, even Heiskanen's a better skater than Hughes, I'd say.

Gotta feel like skating's become the most overrated player attribute lately. There are tons of amazingly skating 4th liners who aren't anything special. It requires plenty of other things to work as impactfully as one'd like.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Smells like Patrick Kane to me.

Just look at Jack Hughes first season as Quinn's NCAA season but in the NHL.. He'll be good next year.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Smells like Patrick Kane to me.

Just look at Jack Hughes first season as Quinn's NCAA season but in the NHL.. He'll be good next year.

Agreed, though I think we should temper our expectations quite a bit. Hughes will eventually be a really good offensive contributor and play driver, but that change won't happen overnight and it might actually take two-three seasons before he's a dominant player.

That said, Lafrenière is and will be better in the NHL. He'll have similar or better offense while being physical and much better defensively. More energetic of a player too.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Agreed, though I think we should temper our expectations quite a bit. Hughes will eventually be a really good offensive contributor and play driver, but that change won't happen overnight and it might actually take two-three seasons before he's a dominant player.

That said, Lafrenière is and will be better in the NHL. He'll have similar or better offense while being physical and much better defensively. More energetic of a player too.
I dont think Lafreniere will produce as much as Hughes - if even by sheer reason that offense runs through Jack like a sink - by that I mean Jack is the one who carries it over the blueline most often and skates for space to open up a chance, I think his skating will promote more offensive opportunity for his wingers than Lafreniere's play will do for his two linemates

Thats not to say I think Lafreniere cant be as good or better - I think both Jack and Alexis are in the Matthews/Eichel tier of players who can be the best guy on their club and play the way that leads by example and sheer skill. I just think Jack will be a tad more offensive while Alexis' game is more well-rounded

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I actually think Jack Hughes is going to rebound in a major way whenever hockey resumes, while I wouldn't be surprised if Lafreniere came on slower than people anticipate. They're only a few months apart in age, and I can't help but wonder what kind of destruction Hughes would have done in the QMJHL this year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I actually think Jack Hughes is going to rebound in a major way whenever hockey resumes, while I wouldn't be surprised if Lafreniere came on slower than people anticipate. They're only a few months apart in age, and I can't help but wonder what kind of destruction Hughes would have done in the QMJHL this year.
His USHL stats regressed between 17-18 and 18-19 but somehow he was going to destroy QMJHL which is the stronger league. Seems optimistic. But that's business as usual, a lot of "shudda cudda wudda" with Jack Hughes.

Reactions: Dominance

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
As soon as I saw PB and 'you know who' on page 1 talking up Hughes I knew laf would be better

Poor guys are so bad at hockey analysis. If they claim Gretzky will never be bested, then a 6'7 265 pound gorilla on skates will be drafted, score 100+ goals every season for two decades and win 14 cups

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think Quinn skates the best of the three. Jack has the best offensive skills. Luke has the most well-rounded game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad