Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere?

Who’s the better prospect?

• Total voters

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
If he has some of the best straight line speed in the NHL(with or without the puck) he sure didn't showcase it in his first Season. He wasn't as explosive as advertised. He most certainly does have elite edges and agility, and that was evident in every game I've seen. I've always been more impressed with Quinn's skating.

With that being said I do believe Jack is a great talent and will be an 80+ point center in his prime.
His finishing ability on breakaways was terrible this year. His finishing ability in general was bad , he could of deff had 20 to 25 goals easily if he could lift the puck a few inches on alot of chances. Jack deff showcased his speed plenty earlier in the season but he hit a big wall once December came around. He was the 2nd best skater on the devils this year behind Hall. Miles Wood might have the highest top speed in the NHL but Hughes has much better edges and acceleration.

Reactions: MakoSlade

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This so much. People seem to forget all of what youve built after you have one bad season

Jack is the best skater of the three and people are talking about how Quinn's skating makes him an insanely influental player. Now imagine a same sized player but BETTER skater who plays forward... doesnt that smell like a lot of points to you? Lmao
No, because the guy on the backend has more time and space to dish the puck and create opportunities for his forwards, while the center has less space and gets knocked around every-time he attempts to create space for the rest of his teammates.

In all honesty, Devils had nothing for Hughes to work with. I expect Jack to have a bounce back year, at least 45-50 points. Maybe more.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Zibanejad is a center.
Yeah he’ll be behind Panarin for minutes at first but that’s not a bad thing to start with. I think he’ll probably “split” minutes with Kreider until it shakes out who is going to be more productive at that spot this year depending on line mates

Kakko is a RW

1st PP minutes might be the main thing he has to fight for but probably will get a look at the point
Panarin-Zibanejad-Kreider
Lafreniere-DeAngelo

Maybe
Doubt he does, to be honest. It'll either be Buchnevich or Kakko on the off-side circle for one-timers and quick puck movement. Lafreniere is usually on the left half-wall, his strong side, and that's where Panarin is stationed on the PP. Lafreniere to PP2 to start.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
I'll wait and see when Jack has an actual coaching staff and linemates not named Miles Wood, and Wayne Simmonds.

Or wait till they both can drink a beer
Andrei Svechnikov during his rookie season was on a line with Jordan Staal and Warren Foegele. Even this season Jordan Staal was his most common linemate which according to Rank King was 49% of the time. He managed to put up 37 points with Jordan Staal in his rookie season and 61 this season. The linemate excuse doesn’t work when it comes to Jack Hughes, he was just bad analytically. I do believe Hughes will be better in his sophomore season.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hughes is the Alabama running back. Until he got to the NFL it was always easy. He could just rely ona superior team and natural talent. Now he’s on a bad team and there are list of talented players against him. He seems like a smart kid and he will have to figure it out. Mark Ingram took about three years to really figure out the NFL but he eventually adjusted.

In comparison with Lafreniere they seem like very different players and “better” is subjective unless everyone can agree on the definition. I think a better question will be to compare Kakko and Lafreniere in five years and see how their careers unfold. Same team same teammates same coaching same opportunities etc. That’s a more comparable situation.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think the Devils would be wise to move Jack to wing. Then he might develop better, and become a player close to as impactful as Lafreniere will certainly be.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
A real NHL coach, and 3 1st round picks in a (supposedly) very good draft is a good start.
None of those picks will help Jack this year , and maybe even the year after. Jack should improve anyway just from growth/seasoning/strengthening. But he’s not going to have much help.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I said it before last draft, Laf probably would have gone 1st had he made the age deadline. Obviously, I am now biased so my belief is that is further enforced, but I know I've posted on some thread about that last year :P

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Laf seems much safer to me and I'd probably draft him first. But I also wouldn't write off Hughes, considering he made the jump directly while his brother played a year of NCAA, which was probably the best decision in terms of physical development.

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
Andrei Svechnikov during his rookie season was on a line with Jordan Staal and Warren Foegele. Even this season Jordan Staal was his most common linemate which according to Rank King was 49% of the time. He managed to put up 37 points with Jordan Staal in his rookie season and 61 this season. The linemate excuse doesn’t work when it comes to Jack Hughes, he was just bad analytically. I do believe Hughes will be better in his sophomore season.
You must haven't seen Wayne or Wood this year.

I'll let it slide

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Other no.1 draft picks are supposed to make players around them better, but the greatest no.1 pick of all time needs better linemates, makes sense

talking about Jack Hughes obvs

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
None of those picks will help Jack this year , and maybe even the year after. Jack should improve anyway just from growth/seasoning/strengthening. But he’s not going to have much help.
Never said they would. I responded to the claim of “thats not going to change.” They didn’t say in the next year or two.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Laf seems much safer to me and I'd probably draft him first. But I also wouldn't write off Hughes, considering he made the jump directly while his brother played a year of NCAA, which was probably the best decision in terms of physical development.
Quinn actually played 2 years of college.

Reactions: AD1066

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
You must haven't seen Wayne or Wood this year.

I'll let it slide
Yeah, other than for protection (which is silly in 2020) it made no sense to have probably the slowest guy on the team try and keep up with Jack Hughes. Wood and Zacha are one thing, but having Hughes and Simmonds together was ridiculous.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Other no.1 draft picks are supposed to make players around them better, but the greatest no.1 pick of all time needs better linemates, makes sense

talking about Jack Hughes obvs

Same problem as the greatest no.2 pick of all time it seems

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Unless Laf goes to RW he’s going to have some stiff competition for prime scoring minutes. Panarin and Zibanejad are well established and Kakko will step up at some point in the next year or so.

In contrast NJ is just waiting for Jack to move the needle on the team’s offense. Does not mean one is better or worse but it might change their numbers to some extent.

I expect both to be excellent.

Kakko plays RW

Laf will get a look at Mika's LW as Panarin didn't play there pretty much at all this past season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad