Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I feel bad for the Devils, seriously. Hischier amd Hughes are both legit players for sure, but their in the lowest of the low tiers for #1st OV picks. I would have begrudgingly made the same picks though, so no fault on them there.

But before anyone disagrees, think of how laughably far off in caliber these two are from Crosby and Malkin when the rebuilding Pens lucked out. Complete night and day between the caliber of players that each team got.

It was just 2 years that were not good years for whatever team was picking 1st OV, imo.

Bolded... You must consider context. Hischier on a decent team (got in the playoffs as wc2, if I remember) in his rookie year put up 52 points, basically without PP (he was on the second unit, getting 30-40 seconds. Aka the scraps with real meh level players) as 46 of those points were 5vs5. All this was done playing night in and night out vs the best line that the other teams could throw against him. That's outstanding.

And now it's two back to back season playing for a dumpster fire of a team (72 points last year, on pace for 67 this year) and that will destroy anyone's production, more so two young players (one a 18 yo featherweight rookie).
Hischier is playing a true top center role, as he now also takes faceoffs (his percentage improved throughout all seasons,now he wins more than he loses), he even gets deployed on the pk. A true 200 ft player, used in all situations. That's not that common and that's an improvement.

Before talking tiers about these two, one should see them on a team that is league average (+ with a couple seasons experience for Hughes), not one that is crashing at the bottom of the sea for two seasons in a row.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Is he now 0-4 in the shootout? For a skilled guy i would have expected him to be able to pot a goal or two in those.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I feel bad for the Devils, seriously. Hischier amd Hughes are both legit players for sure, but their in the lowest of the low tiers for #1st OV picks. I would have begrudgingly made the same picks though, so no fault on them there.

But before anyone disagrees, think of how laughably far off in caliber these two are from Crosby and Malkin when the rebuilding Pens lucked out. Complete night and day between the caliber of players that each team got.

It was just 2 years that were not good years for whatever team was picking 1st OV, imo.

Going off of hype and projection at the time of draft, 17 was weak at the top. One of the worst in a while. I don’t think 19 was though. It seemed pretty run-of-the mill to me. Kinda like a Hall-Seguin draft, and I think that’s how it’ll eventually shake out.

Hughes is 30 games in, and I was bigger than him in junior high. He’ll be fine. He just needs time.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He simply was not ready for the NHL. Physically he is still a boy and playing C well at NHL level was from the start an unrealistic expectation for this season. He just needs some time but was f*ed over by Devils by not sending him to the AHL after 9 games

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Bolded... You must consider context. Hischier on a decent team (got in the playoffs as wc2, if I remember) in his rookie year put up 52 points, basically without PP (he was on the second unit, getting 30-40 seconds. Aka the scraps with real meh level players) as 46 of those points were 5vs5. All this was done playing night in and night out vs the best line that the other teams could throw against him. That's outstanding.

And now it's two back to back season playing for a dumpster fire of a team (72 points last year, on pace for 67 this year) and that will destroy anyone's production, more so two young players (one a 18 yo featherweight rookie).
Hischier is playing a true top center role, as he now also takes faceoffs (his percentage improved throughout all seasons,now he wins more than he loses), he even gets deployed on the pk. A true 200 ft player, used in all situations. That's not that common and that's an improvement.

Before talking tiers about these two, one should see them on a team that is league average (+ with a couple seasons experience for Hughes), not one that is crashing at the bottom of the sea for two seasons in a row.
Yep, you can look at Barkov, how does it affect a player, playing in a dumpster fire team.. So let's wait for... like 5 years before judging.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Any time I watch he looks better than Hall to me. Just is a touch too slight to finish. I’ve been impressed every single time and I’m left surprised that he didn’t get a point.
Very shifty and quick with pretty good hockey sense. He will be scary in a couple of years.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Funny how difficult it is to talk about Hughes and 1st overall picks on a thread about Hughes and 1st overall picks.

Well, the only off-topic posting by me here:
Kakko in comparison to some recent 2nd overall picks after 25 games:
Kakko 12p
Svech 12p
Patrick 7p
Eichel 12p
Reinhart 9p
Barkov 10p
Landeskog 11p
Seguin 10p

Laine with 19 is the only one to score more. Again, this thread's about 1st overall picks and Jack Hughes
Yeah, he's the only one to do that, so it'd stand to reason he'd be the best. And also the worst. Who'd have imagined?
You totally missed the point of my post. It wasn't a dig at Kakko, it was more to highlight how ridiculous some of these claims are. Both will be fine.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
I’m not worried. He’s passing the eye test, and making lots of great offensive plays. Honestly, I have been extremely happy with how hard he works in his own zone. He probably will never be a selke candidate, but the efforts there and he’s smart enough to become competent.

I think just from watching him this season, I feel better about his future than Hischiers, who I’m not concerned about either.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
just comparing his pace as a rookie 25 games in compared to what others did in their full seasons feels a bit unfair considering the way player development works

for example Stamkos had 11 points in his first 25 games just like Hughes does right now and would go on to add only 3 more points over his next 15 games

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yep, you can look at Barkov, how does it affect a player, playing in a dumpster fire team.. So let's wait for... like 5 years before judging.

Here:

Barkov year 1 - Panthers 66 points season: 24 points (54 games)
Barkov year 2 - Panthers 91 points season: 36 points (71 games)
Barkov year 3 - Panthers 103 points season: 59 points (66 games)
Barkov year 4 - Panthers 81 points season: 52 points (61 games)
He then went ppg and more in year 5, 6 & 7 (= now)

How a whole team performs affects an individual player performance (when things go better for a team, the effect trickles down to most players), and even WAY more for young ones.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I am so tired of the daily threads bashing my team.

Hughes has been flying out there. The puck isn't going in because the entire team has zero chemistry and can't pass to each other... but he absolutely looks like he belongs here.

I hear you. People like to pile on and kick people when they’re down and the Devils certainly have sucked long enough. But it does get tiring. This was supposed to be a turn around year for us and Ray’s gambles didn’t work out.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
I hear you. People like to pile on and kick people when they’re down and the Devils certainly have sucked long enough. But it does get tiring. This was supposed to be a turn around year for us and Ray’s gambles didn’t work out.

I don't see it that way. Hughes was supposedly NHL ready. He wasn't and isn't. There's no conspiracy here, just stating facts.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Wood - Hughes - Simmons

Nough said
Pretty dumb post when his most common linemates at ES are Hall and Palms. And he gets a lot of power play time.

They are giving him ever single chance to produce. He just really hasn't. Which is fine and not worrisome yet considering the team sucks and he is way undersized.

What is worrisome, however, is they refuse to play him at wing and let him ease into the defense/physical elements of the nhl game. It also would allow him to play a more open, free flowing style game.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
just comparing his pace as a rookie 25 games in compared to what others did in their full seasons feels a bit unfair considering the way player development works

for example Stamkos had 11 points in his first 25 games just like Hughes does right now and would go on to add only 3 more points over his next 15 games
Stamkos got 4th line minutes.

But he is.

He is only playing because of his draft pedegree.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Is he now 0-4 in the shootout? For a skilled guy i would have expected him to be able to pot a goal or two in those.

Eh, Eichel sucked at shootouts when he first broke into the league. So did Stamkos. And over much larger sample sizes than 4 attempts. They're still managing to carve out decent careers for themselves.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The real question though is how many more 1st overalls do the Devils need before people start bitching about them like they did with the Oilers?

If they get the 1st overall in 2020 would you put them in the same boat as Edmonton? Or do they need 2 more?

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

According to this his most frequent line-mates at Even strength are Hall and Palmieri...
Even so, players like Hughes usually need more time than most to adjust to the game style. I predict a much better second half to the season, finishing aroun 50~ points
It is difficult to get assists playing with Hall - he is shooting 4.8% and has 5 goals. Hall is not finishing this year. Devils desperately need finishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad