Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Jack Hughes isn’t 160 he’s 170. That’s super close to what those other guys were entering the league.

Pat Kane was 162 pounds at his draft. He didn’t need that excuse so I don’t see why Jack Hughes needs it either.
Hughes being called a bust now is just as reckless as those who suggested he'd be a super star in the NHL when he was drafted .

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
The real question though is how many more 1st overalls do the Devils need before people start *****ing about them like they did with the Oilers?

If they get the 1st overall in 2020 would you put them in the same boat as Edmonton? Or do they need 2 more?

You can't compare them to the failure that's called the Oilers. Let's wait a decade and see.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
2 1st overall picks in the last 3 years plus being gifted another one in Taylor Hall... It's getting close!!

No it's not getting close. Hughes is 20+ games into his career. Hischier is no McDavid, Crosby or Matthews but he definitely is better than RNH and most others the Oilers have drafted first overall.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
2 1st overall picks in the last 3 years plus being gifted another one in Taylor Hall... It's getting close!!

Another first overall and a few years more of sucking, then maybe.

Let's not forget though that the Devils two 1st overall picks are nowhere near the quality of McDavid. You get a McDavid once every decade or so.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
11 points in 25 games.

Joe Thornton had 7 in 55.

He will probably finish close to the 40 point mark which will get him in Stamkos (46 in 79) territory.

But whatever let's heat them takes up.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
No it's not getting close. Hughes is 20+ games into his career. Hischier is no McDavid, Crosby or Matthews but he definitely is better than RNH and most others the Oilers have drafted first overall.

RNH is better than Hughes AINEC. RNH is a proven 2nd line center. Hughes has proven this season, he's not good enough for the NHL.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Kakko has 1 more point than Hughes. If we drafted Kakko 1st overall someone could have made this same exact thread.
I’m a Rangers fan, but I also like Jack a lot, as you can tell by my post history when his name has come up.

but I’d move past this Kakko/Hughes stuff quick as a NJD fan. Hughes looks like he just needs to catch up and he will be one of the better centers in this league. Some size, some experience, and maybe a coach that can help this team succeed.

But right now Kakko is having multiple outstanding shifts every game. He’s winning almost every physical puck battle, stuck handling around people, confident with the puck in tight quarters, and making some great reads/passes. He’s looking like he really could break out at any moment.

Hughes has great talent, and I’d love him on the NYR in the future, but he just hasn’t yet shown that Uber IQ to be able to shrug off his inexperience, size, line-mates, and system. The separation points wise might be close right now, but from the eye test their playing two very different games.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I’m a Rangers fan, but I also like Jack a lot, as you can tell by my post history when his name has come up.

but I’d move past this Kakko/Hughes stuff quick as a NJD fan. Hughes looks like he just needs to catch up and he will be one of the better centers in this league. Some size, some experience, and maybe a coach that can help this team succeed. But right now Kakko is having multiple outstanding shifts every game. He’s winning almost every physical puck battle, stuck handling around people, confident with the puck in tight quarters, and making some great reads/passes. He’s looking like he really could break out at any moment. Hughes has great talent, and I’d love him on the NYR in the future, but he just hasn’t yet shown that Uber IQ to be able to shrug off his inexperience, size, line-mates, and system. The separation points wise might be close right now, but from the eye test their playing two very different games.

You’d have to know who ijuka is to understand why I brought up Kakko. But you could say the same about Hughes. He’s looked good when paired with other talented players. He makes perfect crisp passes to players like Simmonds and Wood and even Hall and they just can’t finish.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

but I’d move past this Kakko/Hughes stuff quick as a NJD fan. Hughes looks like he just needs to catch up and he will be one of the better centers in this league. Some size, some experience, and maybe a coach that can help this team succeed. But right now Kakko is having multiple outstanding shifts every game. He’s winning almost every physical puck battle, stuck handling around people, confident with the puck in tight quarters, and making some great reads/passes. He’s looking like he really could break out at any moment. Hughes has great talent, and I’d love him on the NYR in the future, but he just hasn’t yet shown that Uber IQ to be able to shrug off his inexperience, size, line-mates, and system. The separation points wise might be close right now, but from the eye test their playing two very different games.
Lol no.

He was literally the best player one the ice 3/4 games running before blocking that shot and sitting a few. The points weren't there, but his play warranted it.

Even yesterday he dangled a couple d-men and got some chances. He looks more than capable. Kakko looks like he's skating in diapers most of the time.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Lol no.

He was literally the best player one the ice 3/4 games running before blocking that shot and sitting a few. The points weren't there, but his play warranted it.

Even yesterday he dangled a couple d-men and got some chances. He looks more than capable. Kakko looks like he's skating in diapers most of the time.

Ok dude lol.

Just going by the complaints in your and our last GDT, where your fan base is complaining about him not making good plays, or getting knocked off the puck, and the NYR fans generally complaining that KK is not shooting over and over, despite getting himself in great scoring situations by making smart plays.

I mean anyone could just read the two team’s threads and see for themselves.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
11 points in 25 games.

Joe Thornton had 7 in 55.

He will probably finish close to the 40 point mark which will get him in Stamkos (46 in 79) territory.

But whatever let's heat them takes up.
The difference is that hughes isnt on the 4th line.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Ok dude lol.

Just going by the complaints in your and our last GDT, where your fan base is complaining about him not making good plays, or getting knocked off the puck, and the NYR fans generally complaining that KK is not shooting over and over, despite getting himself in great scoring situations by making smart plays.

I mean anyone could just read the two team’s threads and see for themselves.
Literally one guy with a shtick. Leaving aside the absurdity of the "just check the GDTs from that one game last night" basis for your original claim, most of the posts were praising his play and calling him one of our better players :laugh:

I'd be a lot more worried about Kakko's skating if I were you. Everyone knew there would be an adjustment for Hughes at his size and jumping straight from the USNTDP, but Kakko looks labored up and down the ice. Half the basis for people suggesting Kakko at #1 was his NHL-readiness and that hasn't even close to panned out.

OviGreat8

Dec 5, 2019
Bel Air, MD
Jack Hughes has played 25 games in the NHL. He is probably on the worst or one of the worst offensive teams in the league. He will be just fine and certainly live up to the #1 Draft Choice in the future.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Jack Hughes has played 25 games in the NHL. He is probably on the worst or one of the worst offensive teams in the league. He will be just fine and certainly live up to the #1 Draft Choice in the future.
This right here. On the flip side it turns out Yakupov actually had a pretty decent first season:
3.png
Edmonton Oilers
NHL4817143124-4|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: OviGreat8

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The capitals had way less stars when Ovechkin was a rookie and an even worse team and that didn’t stop him from pumping in over 50 50 100

The bad team argument can be used for many first overalls that’s why they were well first overalls

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
The capitals had way less stars when Ovechkin was a rookie and an even worse team and that didn’t stop him from pumping in over 50 50 100

The bad team argument can be used for many first overalls that’s why they were well first overalls
Ovechkin is also a generational goal scorer and put that up in a year with seven (7) 100+ point players. JH will be fine. The entire team is going through a slump across the board.

Reactions: OviGreat8

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
While I agree that Jack Hughes is going to turn out just fine I still think it was a mistake for the Devils to keep him in the lineup. They aren't doing anything this year anyway.

Should have at least released him to play in the WJC.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Another first overall and a few years more of sucking, then maybe.

Let's not forget though that the Devils two 1st overall picks are nowhere near the quality of McDavid. You get a McDavid once every decade or so.
Didn’t stop people on bashing the Oilers before we even got 97.

Reactions: dukeofjive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad