Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Worst rookie season*

I have to admit I was shocked to find out he’s doing so poorly, he’s only on pace for 35 points even though he seems to be getting offensive zone starts, PP time, and top 6 line mates and lots of ice time. Did the Devils rush him? Is his development stunted? Will he be regarded as one of the worst 1st overall picks in the current era? The worst?

I get that he’s not a big kid but if you go down the list there were lots of guys who went 1st overall and weren’t big kids either yet still did a lot better than Jack is doing right now. Should he be sent down to the AHL?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I have to admit I was shocked to find out he’s doing so poorly, he’s only on pace for 35 points even though he seems to be getting offensive zone starts, PP time, and top 6 line mates and lots of ice time. Did the Devils rush him? Is his development stunted? Will he be regarded as one of the worst 1st overall picks in the current era? The worst?

I get that he’s not a big kid but if you go down the list there were lots of guys who went 1st overall and weren’t big kids either yet still did a lot better than Jack is doing right now. Should he be sent down to the AHL?
Yes easily the worst of all time. Makes Yak look like Gretzky. Now if we win the draft lottery again this year we all good? Everyone will understand last year didn't count and not give Devils crap about it?

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Yes easily the worst of all time. Makes Yak look like Gretzky. Now if we win the draft lottery again this year we all good? Everyone will understand last year didn't count and not give Devils crap about it?

It's literally and figuratively impossible to make Yak look like The Great One.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Total bust!

:sarcasm:

Is he not the smallest 1st overall pick in almost forever? Kid will be fine once he gets bigger and stronger.

Well Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Nico Hischier didn’t need that excuse, they were all about the same size and weight that Jack Hughes is at now and they dominated the NHL in their rookie years or at least doubled Jack Hughes’ production

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
This is incredibly over dramatic. “Will he be regarded as one of the worst 1st overall picks in the current era? The worst?” My God.

He’s the first player to ever jump directly from the US NTDP to the NHL. Of course there’s going to be a learning curve. The Devils are also competing with Detroit for being the worst team in the entire league game in game out. Literally no one looks good. The team looks beyond “bad,” they look incompetent. The environment he’s playing in is not exactly conducive to consistent production. If you’d actually watch some of his games you’d see he has shifts where he dominates and clearly has superstar potential. It’s all about gaining more experience and putting it together consistently.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Well Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Nico Hischier didn’t need that excuse, they were all about the same size and weight that Jack Hughes is at now and they dominated the NHL in their rookie years or at least doubled Jack Hughes’ production
i feel like all those guys hit the nhl at 180 but where considerered small isnt hughes like 160

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Also, isn’t this the New Era of the NHL where size and weight doesn’t matter as much? Look at what 160 pound Pettersson did to the NHL last year, he was at a point per game in his rookie year! So no I don’t buy the excuse from fans that say he’s struggling because of his size, that’s total crap IMO

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If you're going to compare him to overall seasons, an "on pace" comparison isn't really fair. You should look at the first 30 games of all 1st overalls. You probably want to limit that further by only looking at 1st overall selections that went immediately to the NHL. There's obviously some adjustment period of going straight from juniors to the NHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Total bust!

:sarcasm:

Is he not the smallest 1st overall pick in almost forever? Kid will be fine once he gets bigger and stronger.
Kane didn't have such issues... Even RNH who makes Hughes look like a bodybuilder did better.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
It's literally and figuratively impossible to make Yak look like The Great One.
Took me like two seconds, don't tell me something is not possible.

upload_2019-12-6_12-5-36.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad