Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
The capitals had way less stars when Ovechkin was a rookie and an even worse team and that didn’t stop him from pumping in over 50 50 100

The bad team argument can be used for many first overalls that’s why they were well first overalls

Ovechkin is a same tier player as Crosby. Nobody thinks that about Hughes though

OviGreat8

Dec 5, 2019
Bel Air, MD
Ovechkin is a same tier player as Crosby. Nobody thinks that about Hughes though
I have a question and I am young so I really don't know the answer to this, but when the likes of Ovechkin and Crosby came into the league did anyone think they were on the same tier as Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
If you're going to compare him to overall seasons, an "on pace" comparison isn't really fair. You should look at the first 30 games of all 1st overalls. You probably want to limit that further by only looking at 1st overall selections that went immediately to the NHL. There's obviously some adjustment period of going straight from juniors to the NHL.
This is a great point. I remember Stamkos got off to an absolute dog shit start and he turned out to be ok.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I have a question and I am young so I really don't know the answer to this, but when the likes of Ovechkin and Crosby came into the league did anyone think they were on the same tier as Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky?

People were careful not to say Crosby would be on Gretzky's level but was the "next star" or the best centre *since* those two (which annoyed Sakic fans) while Ovechkin was Russian so from day one people tried to take him down a peg and minimize his impact.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
They were pushed as generational talents if that's what you're asking. More so than anyone that has entered the league since.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
They were pushed as generational talents if that's what you're asking. More so than anyone that has entered the league since.

Yep. There's generational talents, superstars and stars. I think Hughes will be a star in the NHL, possibly even a superstar, but not a generational star. IMO

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
way too early to make any true predictions on how jack will turn out but its pretty obvious he's not going to put up big numbers this season.

not a sign he's a bust its just a tough league to jump into and produce. imo he should have done a year of college hockey but who knows. hope the best for him.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
In his 2 games against the Flyers, he was the only Devil that stood out. He’ll be fine.

I guess you stopped at 99, because Lecavalier and Thornton were in 98 and 97. They didn’t get off to hot starts.
Hughes was terrible in both of those games... I hope these weren't his highlights

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
still remember when highly touted Stamkos, Tavares, and the Sedan twins got off to awful starts. No one sees them as busts now.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
damn autocorrect.

back on topic, these guys should at least give Hughes, Kakko, etc. a bit of time before the bust label.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
damn autocorrect.

back on topic, these guys should at least give Hughes, Kakko, etc. a bit of time before the bust label.

I'm not an expert, but wouldn't it be better for these guys to be playing in the AHL? At least for a time. Get a lot of ice time, points and confidence.

Don't know, but just because they're number 1 and 2 picks don't mean they have to play in the NHL from day one.

Don't think anyone is calling them busts, but as the top two guys from their draft they're not exactly shining. Give them time and they'll become good players, no doubt.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Hughes will be a good player, you can see the skillset he has and once he’s more comfortable the pts will come.

But im not sold that he’ll be a star player to be honest. He does give me a bit of that flash but sometimes ineffective - feel.

His scoring ability doesn’t seem that lethal.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This is incredibly over dramatic. “Will he be regarded as one of the worst 1st overall picks in the current era? The worst?” My God.

He’s the first player to ever jump directly from the US NTDP to the NHL. Of course there’s going to be a learning curve. The Devils are also competing with Detroit for being the worst team in the entire league game in game out. Literally no one looks good. The team looks beyond “bad,” they look incompetent. The environment he’s playing in is not exactly conducive to consistent production. If you’d actually watch some of his games you’d see he has shifts where he dominates and clearly has superstar potential. It’s all about gaining more experience and putting it together consistently.

excuse me please do not respect my kings like that we are worse than the devils thanks

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In his 2 games against the Flyers, he was the only Devil that stood out. He’ll be fine.

I guess you stopped at 99, because Lecavalier and Thornton were in 98 and 97. They didn’t get off to hot starts.

I don't like Thornton, but in his defence he only played like 6-7 minutes a night under coach Pat Burns, so getting a lot of point would have been tough for anyone with so little ice time.

Reactions: Kiekura

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's a really skinny kid and the team has been struggling as a whole. I have zero worries about him long term. Not everyone hits the ground running in the NHL.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
still remember when highly touted Stamkos, Tavares, and the Sedan twins got off to awful starts. No one sees them as busts now.

There is a huge difference between saying Jack Hughes doesn’t compare favourably against the Crosbys, Ovechkins, McDavids, etc. and saying Jack Hughes is a bust. No ones seriously calling him a bust.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Refreshing to see great prospects that actually look like rookies. He'll be a great NHL player eventually.
How is it refreshing?

I'd rather see Kakko and Hughes have 25 points each after 25 games lol. It's exciting to see young players thriving in a league where it's close to impossible for an 18 year old to dominate so young.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
The capitals had way less stars when Ovechkin was a rookie and an even worse team and that didn’t stop him from pumping in over 50 50 100

The bad team argument can be used for many first overalls that’s why they were well first overalls

Hughes isn't a generational talent like Ovy

But to fair be to him, Ovy started his rookie season at age 20 due to the lockout and being one of the oldest in his draft class. Meanwhile Hughes won't even turn 19 till the end of his season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Jack Hughes - 12 points in 26 games (38 point pace), 16:10/game
Steven Stamkos - 11 points in 26 games (35 point pace), 13:44/game
Taylor Hall - 15 points in 26 games (47 point pace), 17:31/game
Nathan MacKinnon - 16 points in 26 games (50 point pace), 15:45/game
Auston Matthews - 20 points in 26 games (63 point pace), 17:18/game
Nico Hischier - 18 points in 26 games (57 point pace), 16:14/game

Let's step back off the ledge. One or two great games and suddenly Hughes is on a great pace compared with some other 1st overalls instead of on a poorer pace.

Reactions: thethinglonger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad