Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Funny that the guy everyone said should have been picked ahead of Hughes and who would be an immediate star in the league has about the same point pace. Is he a bust too?

Reactions: vtdevils2k

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Funny that the guy everyone said should have been picked ahead of Hughes and who would be an immediate star in the league has about the same point pace. Is he a bust too?

No, they're not busts. They are however huge disappointments in year one after all the hype before the season. Just shows you that it's stupid hyping rookies before they've even played one game in the NHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Funny how difficult it is to talk about Hughes and 1st overall picks on a thread about Hughes and 1st overall picks.

Well, the only off-topic posting by me here:
Kakko in comparison to some recent 2nd overall picks after 25 games:
Kakko 12p
Svech 12p
Patrick 7p
Eichel 12p
Reinhart 9p
Barkov 10p
Landeskog 11p
Seguin 10p

Laine with 19 is the only one to score more. Again, this thread's about 1st overall picks and Jack Hughes
Criteria was 18 year old nhl rookie, making the jump straight from the usntdp to the nhl.
Yeah, he's the only one to do that, so it'd stand to reason he'd be the best. And also the worst. Who'd have imagined?

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Bust. But as - you know - a favor, on behalf of the Rangers, we’ll take him off the Devils hands.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Screw it.. I looked in to anyways. Found a list of all the 18yr olds who have played in the NHL.
18-Year Old NHL Players - Regular Season Stats

USNTDP started in 02-03, so I only looked at players who started in the NHL then or later.
Only 66 players fit the criteria.
Not a single one other than Jack Hughes came directly from the USNTDP.

So, Jack Hughes holds the NHL record for the most points by an 18yrs old straight out of the USNTDP, without having gone to a different league beforehand, because he is literally the only player to ever do so. lol

Like I said... a very obscure record.

Ha wish I saw this post before I looked at many many USNTDP players. I thought they started in 96 tho

Last edited:

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
You people, just like most GMs attach to the "1st overall" as if it was some kind of god. To Devils it does not matter how he ranks as 1st overall, it only matters if he becomes the #1 center they crave for decades now. I think he will never be a #1 center, but it's too early to tell. Ryan O'reilly wasn't any better in his first NHL year. Give him 3 years and we could see.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Funny how difficult it is to talk about Hughes and 1st overall picks on a thread about Hughes and 1st overall picks.

Well, the only off-topic posting by me here:
Kakko in comparison to some recent 2nd overall picks after 25 games:
Kakko 12p
Svech 12p
Patrick 7p
Eichel 12p
Reinhart 9p
Barkov 10p
Landeskog 11p
Seguin 10p
What actually is funny is that it means Hughes is on better pace than Barkov or Seguin and one point away from the rest of the crop. #bust

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ha wish I saw this post before I looked at many many USNTDP players. I thought they started in 96 tho

Im not sure. A site only listed up until 02-03 so I figured that was the first year. Maybe thats just the first year that site kept stats? idk.

Either way I just checked the 23 players who played at age 18 from 96-02, and none of them came from the USNTDP either way.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its always funny how fans compare their own struggling rookies to other rookies in the past, so that their rookies wouldn't look so bad.
Or always (these days anyways) throwing % figures of those meaningful advanced, analytic...what ever stats of probabilities what the player
has potential to do. All those numbers (with ppg) are nice and all, but if the player does not actually produce goals, points, etc. etc.
you know, things that actually matter in a hockey game, those advanced stats mean ****.

---

Hughes has undoubted skill and skating, but physically and other wisely, he isn't NHL player, yet.
He just isn't ready to play against men, you could easily see that at this years Worlds,
he got outplayed by the GB players for crying out loud.

He needs to adjust his game as well, what worked in the US national development program
wont work in the NHL, against NHL:ers (wouldn't of worked in the NCAA either thou,
Cole Caufield has already learned that with his late struggling, he is learning there
to become a better player, where as Hughes is taking steps backwards)

He obviously should of went to play to the NCAA (like Caufield & his 2019 drafted American peers did)

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
The kid will be fine. Although I will say that’s it not great to have young talents like that develop on bad teams. The Oilers can attest to that. They learn bad habits.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It isn't about the height and pounds either, physically NHL ready doesn't mean how much you weigh.

One Alex DeBrincat for example came to the NHL straight from the OHL at 19; 5 foot 7, 160(ish) pounds,
played with ****** minutes with ****** line mates (mostly), yet led the Hawks in goals (28) and scored over 50 points
(edit: oh-no...did i made a rookie vs rookie comparison?,...nah...not the same thing)

But then again.... some players DO develop slower (duh), so there's that. Time will tell into which category Jack Hughes falls into.

Last edited:

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
He reminds me a bit of Kuznetsov. He'll be a good, perhaps even a top, producer in this league in time. A stop off in the NCAA might've made a bit of sense, though.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I feel bad for the Devils, seriously. Hischier amd Hughes are both legit players for sure, but their in the lowest of the low tiers for #1st OV picks. I would have begrudgingly made the same picks though, so no fault on them there.

But before anyone disagrees, think of how laughably far off in caliber these two are from Crosby and Malkin when the rebuilding Pens lucked out. Complete night and day between the caliber of players that each team got.

It was just 2 years that were not good years for whatever team was picking 1st OV, imo.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Also, isn’t this the New Era of the NHL where size and weight doesn’t matter as much? Look at what 160 pound Pettersson did to the NHL last year, he was at a point per game in his rookie year! So no I don’t buy the excuse from fans that say he’s struggling because of his size, that’s total crap IMO

176 was Petey weight last year

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Also, isn’t this the New Era of the NHL where size and weight doesn’t matter as much? Look at what 160 pound Pettersson did to the NHL last year, he was at a point per game in his rookie year! So no I don’t buy the excuse from fans that say he’s struggling because of his size, that’s total crap IMO

Size and weight will always matter it just might not matter as much as it once did.

Petterson wasn't a point per game player in his rookie season he had 66 points in 71 games in his rookie season and just just because he did so well doesn't mean everyone who is on the smaller weight side will be able to handle things so well.

You can take 10 people who are the same height and weight but each person is different with different limits of what they can handle. Some players need to put on some weight to be able to handle the NHL some don't.

I don't know why Jack Hughes isn't doing better but it is possible his size isn't helping.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Pettersson also got injured very easily due to the lankiness. He played an entire season in the SHL against men after being drafted which helps a lot.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
The jump from the USNTDP to the NHL is an absolutely massive one. When was the last time a player came into the league from US juniors without playing at least 1 year at some intermediary level in between (NCAA or AHL)? Plus Hughes is a bit undersized, and his team stinks. When you watch him, you can see the skill and the skating are there. He'll be an impact player. Just maybe not this season.

Just for reference... anyone know historically what the best rookie seasons for an 18 year old out of the usntdp are?

Hughes is the first player to jump straight from the USNTDP to the NHL

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I feel bad for the Devils, seriously. Hischier amd Hughes are both legit players for sure, but their in the lowest of the low tiers for #1st OV picks. I would have begrudgingly made the same picks though, so no fault on them there.

But before anyone disagrees, think of how laughably far off in caliber these two are from Crosby and Malkin when the rebuilding Pens lucked out. Complete night and day between the caliber of players that each team got.

It was just 2 years that were not good years for whatever team was picking 1st OV, imo.

Hischier is going to be solid, pretty much already is. Only thing holding him back from being noticed by fans league wide is not fully using the offensive game he plays for Switzerland in NHL games.

Right now he's just under the radar doing his thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinLVGA

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Hughes has had a slow start. Kakko has really had some struggles. But is that really so out of the ordinary? I think having McDavid, Matthews, and Laine in recent years jumping in and making an immediate impact might have skewed people's expectations a bit. If you look at the kind of qualities Hughes have, I'm not surprised he needs some time to learn how to be effective at this level. I expected Kakko than him initially, to be honest.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Hughes has had a slow start. Kakko has really had some struggles. But is that really so out of the ordinary? I think having McDavid, Matthews, and Laine in recent years jumping in and making an immediate impact might have skewed people's expectations a bit. If you look at the kind of qualities Hughes have, I'm not surprised he needs some time to learn how to be effective at this level. I expected Kakko than him initially, to be honest.

No, it's not out of the ordinary. Just laughable when fans of said teams were so sure that they're NHL ready players without seeing them play in even one NHL game.

And looking at some former number one overalls Hughes is not on the same level as most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad